Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

My 5+ YO cat, Sekhmet, loves to claw things and eat fake plants, etc.

I have spritzed her many time with a water bottle but lil' miss brain dead does not get the hint.

Any ideas before I am forced to get rid of her.......I have had her since Day One------someone gave me her very pregnant mama and the very next day Sek and her siblings were born.

I feed the cat, pay attention to her and have not abused her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 07:21 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
He needs a cat scratch post.

My cat loves his scratch post.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:37 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
And put some vinegar in the spritz water, too. They hate the smell.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:55 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
Get her a scratching post! I bought one last year, online, called Natural Scratch, (they have a website). The post is made from white cedar, and the base is made from red cedar. Best scratching post I've ever had. It's solid, doesn't tip over, and my cat uses it like crazy. It's the only thing she scratches on, and I have a wooden kitchen table and chairs, (in fact, her post is in the corner, right next to the table), and leather living-room furniture, so that says something. I used catnip to encourage her to start using it. If you do get a post, always put it in a place that she will be able to get to, at all times.

Oh, and for the fake plant, I agree with the previous post. Put some vineagar in that bottle! And, when you squirt her with it, always make sure you do it only when she is actually doing the wrong thing. You want her to equate the unpleasant feel/smell of the water bottle directly with her action.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:31 AM

I have a scratching post yet Sekhmet insists in using anything but. Maybe the catnip will work.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:12 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have a scratching post yet Sekhmet insists in using anything but. Maybe the catnip will work.
I don't know what kind of post you have, but since it isn't working, you may want to consider a different type. That's why I have the Natural Scratch one, (the cheap ones you can buy at Wal-Mart just didn't cut it. They were too wobbly). You don't have to buy that particular one, of course. If you're handy with wood, or know someone who is, a homemade one is just as good. Just make sure it's well-balanced. If a post tips over alot, it will freak the cat out, and they won't want to use it. Remember, cats are individualistic, the same as we are, and what one cat likes, another won't. And again, keep in mind your placement of the post, (location, location, location).

Whatever post you use, if it doesn't already have one, attach a toy to it, or maybe a couple of feathers, something that will catch her interest. Another idea, which sounds weird, but I've had it work, is to place tin foil around the legs, and/or on the seat of furniture. Admittedly, it doesn't look pretty, but this is only temporary, to help teach her to stay away from things she shouldn't scratch. Cats don't like the feel of the foil, and will avoid it. Also, double-backed tape is generally a deterent. Cats hate sticky stuff on their feet. If you try one of these methods, in conjunction with a nice scratching post, she may get the idea.

Another possibility, (although, this is one I've not had to resort to. Hopefully, someone else can tell you their experiences), is to put caps on the claws of your cat. You can "google" information on them, and ask your vet. Alot of people swear by them, and if I couldn't break a cat, using the other methods, I would definitely give them a try. They are a healthier alternative to declawing, which I absolutely detest. It's a horrible procedure, and should not be used, in my opinon.

By the way, what kind of name is Sekhmet? And, what kind of cat is she?

Old 12-31-2007, 02:00 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Both of the cats I've had have love those scratching pad sold by a company named Cat Claws (they have an Internet website). Neither cat cared much for a scratching post but would use the pads. They might be worth a try.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:42 PM

324 posts, read 1,285,658 times
If the scratching post is carpet they won't care about it. They will be drawn to sisal or bark posts. If yours is carpet you can get sisal rope from home depot and use a staple gun and wrap it yourself. Its really cheap. Some cats like to scratch horizontally instead of vertically as well. A quick fix is buying corrugated cardboard from Petsmart, not expensive at all. Cats love it and can provide a horizontal scratch surface. Put one of these boards next to each place he is scratching. You can use double sided tape on the current scratching areas since they don't like sticky things, but this doesn't always work to discourage.

If all else fails try this:
http://www.softpaws.com/

Old 12-31-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
By the way, what kind of name is Sekhmet? And, what kind of cat is she?
Sekhmet is the Egyptian Goddess of Fertility and Rage (she has been fixed).

She is a generic Tabby with a white belly.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:23 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times
My cats love scratching/clawing on cardboard. And it's free You can always find a cardboard box anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats