Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,754 times

Advertisements

We just got a new kitten - 6 weeks old and have been feeding him IAMS kitten food, my 5 year old male cat that needs special food for his UTI has been eating the kitten food, is this ok? Please Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 09:05 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,913,558 times
Presuming the IAMS kitten food is canned? (Hope so! If not, ditch the dry!) Compare the labels of the kitten food and adult food. You'll probably see the kitten food is higher in proteins and carbs. Also compare the phosphorus amounts. This link will be very helpful - it tells what the percentages should be for a healthy urinary tract. Feline Urinary Tract Health: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: cat urinary tract health.

Do you free feed? That is, do you leave the food down and let the cats pick or do you have set meal times and the cats generally finish their meals at one time? An option would be to pick up the dishes after a set meal so that the older cat wouldn't have access to the kitten food. Or is it possible to feed the kitten somewhere out of reach of the older one?

I feed set meal times, but I leave the dishes down so the cats can pick at whatever they don't finish. But I have one younger cat who can't eat canned food (we have not resolved why it gives her severe diarrhea, but working on that), so she has dry available. However, I have an elderly cat who cannot have even one kibble or his UT goes haywire. He won't jump up on a bathroom vanity, so that's where the dry is.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:34 PM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
No. Feed both the kitten and the adult on a schedule, canned food only.

Unless it is canned food, ditch the "special" food. If you are feeding the canned vet food, okay. It's not great, but a cat with urinary tract problems should not have dry food EVER.

someone else already posted this link but I'll post it again, you need to read it.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats