Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 11:21 PM

634 posts, read 892,279 times

Advertisements

Forgive the odd thread title, I really don't know what else to call it. Our Diablo has a habit of always sitting on something other than the carpet or tile. One time last summer the printer went crazy and he walked up to one of the papers that landed on the floor (white 8.5 X 11) and sat on it. We thought it was funny so it's still there to this day. But it really doesn't matter what it is: newspaper, cardboard, plastic bag; he could have a vast expanse of soft carpet, but instead chooses to squeeze onto the piece of paper instead.

And just today my condomate was watching a video where somebody had drawn a strange shape onto the floor and the cats were sitting within it. I told him I'd ask on CD.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 03:06 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,188,670 times
Welcome to the world of cats. We don't like them because they are normal.

Dogs are predictable. They do what a human might do. That is part of their charm. Cats march to the beat of their own drummer. Crazy cats :-)

Old 11-04-2014, 01:49 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,124,179 times
I know cats that love sitting/lying down on carpet samples, their owner's clothes, and they especially love sitting on people's pillows. They love soft material rather than hardwood floor/tile unless it's been warmed up by the sun or the sun is shining on that spot.

The experiment your condomate was referring to is a viral thing going on where people make a circle out of tape, clothes, or anything circular on the floor and the cat is attracted to it. They will walk over to the circle and step into the middle and sit there for a while. It's hilarious and very cute.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:56 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,936,423 times
My cats always gravitate to my wool oriental rugs when they need to puke.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:11 PM

23,971 posts, read 10,313,645 times
There is no crystal ball to tell what a feline may or might do. Maybe that is why we are so drawn to them. Leave an IPad anywhere in our house and you will find a cat. Perched like a princess on top of it. Why? It is warm, they are not supposed to do that, it inconveniences us, ... Favorite spots change without evident reason to humans. Why should I shed fur on your favorite throw when I can use your coat? Oh wait! There is an open briefcase - much better!
Our house is all tile with mostly old oriental rugs. ShadowCat has one in our bathroom which is her stretch and get brushed location. ChaCha is more flexible. Our pea brain loves being everywhere she knows she is not supposed to be.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:12 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
My cats always gravitate to my wool oriental rugs when they need to puke.
Well, at least they're doing it out in the open where you can get to it. Mine will often be up on something (window shelf, refrigerator, tall cabinet, etc.) when they upchuck, and it will be deposited down between large heavy objects that I have to move to clean it up. Not cool. I'm not sure, but I think throwing up in the most difficult to reach places is actually a requirement in the Official Housecat Handbook... will have to check that.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:02 AM

106 posts, read 140,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Well, at least they're doing it out in the open where you can get to it. Mine will often be up on something (window shelf, refrigerator, tall cabinet, etc.) when they upchuck, and it will be deposited down between large heavy objects that I have to move to clean it up. Not cool. I'm not sure, but I think throwing up in the most difficult to reach places is actually a requirement in the Official Housecat Handbook... will have to check that.
This made me laugh. Had my hand on the door knob just about to leave for work this morning and I hear the familiar sound of a hork. One of the cats puked really hard down the back of the sofa which meant I had to pull the sofa out and scour the wall, baseboard and sofa. Yeah, I was late for work.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:42 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprot View Post
This made me laugh. Had my hand on the door knob just about to leave for work this morning and I hear the familiar sound of a hork. One of the cats puked really hard down the back of the sofa which meant I had to pull the sofa out and scour the wall, baseboard and sofa. Yeah, I was late for work.
Yep... sounds familiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats