Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is your cat a schmoozer or a snoozer?
My/our cat is a schmoozer 1 4.76%
My/our cat is a snoozer 5 23.81%
I/we have 2 or more cats - both types 15 71.43%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:57 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times

Advertisements

Weasie (1992-2012, RIP) was notorious in real life as well as here for her uninhibited gregariousness. To this day neighbors and friends look back and laugh along with me at some of the stuff she used to pull on people. Once she had sized up an unmet human as cat-friendly and therefore an easy mark, there wasn't much she wouldn't do to grab some attention and hopefully a treat. But she had her limits all the same.

I see no risk of brashness from my present-day grrrrlz. Blaliko had been living the life of a stray for at least a year when she finally let down her guard and adopted me. After 2 1/2 years she's at last become trusting enough to be friendly with her cat-sitters, as well as with other nice persons once she sees them sufficiently often. That's as far as she takes it, though. Forget about her outdoors-born daughter Seteria, who if she walked on two legs would probably be seeing a shrink for PTSD. Even now no one besides me can get within two feet of her before she races for safety.

Neighbors about a block away had been bereft of feline companionship since a few months before Weasie passed. They "weren't ready yet" when several rescue/adoption opportunities presented themselves. But then they were when people they know were recently looking to re-home their cat. Today after work I ran into one of them on the way home. He said they were redoubling their efforts to keep their new addition inside full-time because of things which had occurred. "Somebody from xxx Street called us the other day after they saw him lying down in the middle of the street." "Been there." "He's been caught sneaking into houses." "Sounds familiar." "And then a lady on yyy Street told me when she opened her car door he jumped right in." "THAT Weasie never did. "

Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 06:12 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,371 times
My current cat is usually a snoozer, but she takes a liking to certain people then won't leave them alone. If my mom is visiting us or we are visiting her, the cat stays by her and completely forgets about me. A few weeks ago an elderly plumber came in the house and the cat was his little "assistant" the whole time, looking under the sink with him and asking questions, then almost ran out the door with him when he went back to his truck. Strangely she is not one to dart out the door given the chance, but she was for this old man; I wondered if her previous owners were elderly people.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:39 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,295 times
Not that I was looking to get another one, but I got another cat by default really. Her previous owner's boyfriend didn't like the cat, so my son took it and brought it to me because he knows I'm a pushover for furry creatures. Well, hubby wasn't thrilled... at first. Now, it's his baby, his girl.
She's a young cat, very playful and carries her toy mouse with her where ever she goes. At bedtime, she runs and get's her mouse and puts it on our bed. Whenever someone comes over, she brings them her mouse and plops herself on their lap. She loves people and makes it impossible not to love her right back.

My other cat will disappear the minute the doorbell rings but she's very loving to us.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:27 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Emily and Saami were born to a commercial greenhouse cat so when it was time for them to get new homes they were placed in a box next to the cash register. I suspect they may have had unskilled handling by little people because they've been very reserved about being picked up or meeting people they don't know.

They are eight years old now and still not really comfortable being held. But they do like to sit next to us in a chair with a paw or their head in our laps.

Emily is the perimeter guard and fiercely protects the property. Neighbors' dogs and cats are unwelcome with the exception of Daisy, a miniature daschund, with whom she seemed to have a mutual attraction.

But one spring when I was planting flowers and Emily was helping me the renters across the street brought a litter of kittens outside. I could see that Emily was interested in them so I invited her to cross the street with me and have a look.

She was reserved but so polite, going from kitten to kitten, having a little sniff at them. It was a relief to me as I wasn't sure what exactly would happen.

Then she looked up at me as if to say, Ok, I'm done now.

So I said, "Alright, Em. Let's go home." And she followed me back across the street.

The neighbors were quite impressed.

Emily is friendly with my next door neighbor who sometimes feeds them when we are on vacation. And if I take a walk around the block she will come along with me while I visit with others. But she has never made any friendly overtures to anyone else other than family members. And gentle-natured, shy Saami doesn't socialize much at all with anyone.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:26 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Out of my 5 cats, only 2 are friendly towards people (other than me), and that's only my relatives that are frequent visitors. Stormy (17) and Angel(11) will always come out to greet visitors and get some attention. The other 3 will usually make their selves scarce. Misty (13) will accept pets from visitors, but they have to go to her to do it. Gypsy (12) & Sheba (9) will head for their bunkers and WILL NOT come out until the evil visitors have gone. All 5 are quite loving and can be attention junkies where I am concerned, just not so much with other people.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:05 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Mine run from strangers at first. After awhile, if they figure the strangers aren't going anywhere, they'll investigate. If they deem the strangers worthy of their attention, they are bundles of furry affection.

Our neighbor's late cat, Shadow, was a notorious beggar. Our neighbors rarely had to feed him, especially during outdoor grilling season, because at least three or four households that we know of were giving him treats, bits of chicken or hamburger off the grill, etc. And after he was fed, he demanded belly rubs. He was a sweet kitty - I miss him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats