U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:36 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,746,988 times

Advertisements

There are still stories about animals being permanently lost or dying in the baggage compartment of airlines.
Unless the US laws are structured to move the treatment or mistreatment of pet animals closer to that of children, airlines can get away with this. So far as I know, you can pretty much just sue for the cost of the animal.
It's the laws that have to change.
Many dogs are tested as having the mentality of a 5 year old child. If you had a 5 year old who could not speak and had no opposable thumb, and they lost or killed it, you could sue them out of existance. Well, maybe not that much, but you can see how they make a practical financial decision not to worry overmuch about our little pets.
People today are sue crazy for just this reason. We know some probably fat and bald executive is doing a cost benefit analysis on the treatment of pets and our personal relationship with these animals is worth nothing in that calculation.
They cut back personnel so they are so harried and overworked that they don't have the time to deal with us. The workers are emotionally numb. Their humanity has been sqeezed out of them.
God, how I hate what corporatism has done to our country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 04:11 PM

3,530 posts, read 8,480,044 times
I know this is an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one since this one's got tons of info. I'm considering doing this, but when we took our cat from the shelter to our home, she cried the whole time. They put her in a cardboard box (BIG mistake!) and when we finally got her inside our house, she had already clawed a hole big enough for her little body. It was pretty traumatic.

We are moving from Colo. to S. Florida. What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Hell yeah.

I've done it, about a dozen times. And, frankly, most people on the plane would have had no idea that there was a cat on board.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:38 PM

756 posts, read 2,272,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one since this one's got tons of info. I'm considering doing this, but when we took our cat from the shelter to our home, she cried the whole time. They put her in a cardboard box (BIG mistake!) and when we finally got her inside our house, she had already clawed a hole big enough for her little body. It was pretty traumatic.

use a plastic carrier???

Old 04-14-2008, 10:37 PM

1,311 posts, read 5,824,943 times
Quote:

You know what helped me was taking my cats for a ride in the car in different scenerios. I didn't actually do it on purpose, it just sort of happened I had to put them in the truck a few times. I learned my laidback female got really stressed and panted alot but my edge male tabby just sat there looking out the window in awe. Now I know what their reactions are, I can prepare accordingly. I would push towards getting used to being crated and traveling in a crate. check with your vet too. I am going to try the pet herbs myself. I have to find the link again. It is in here somewhere in the Dog forum

Last edited by deegers; 04-14-2008 at 10:48 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:

I know this contradicts a prior post, but our cat is well behaved except in the car, where she just meows and meows, enough to make us want to stop and run out. She is an oriental, which is pretty much a different colored siamese, so you know the sound. Like a baby crying.

And we take her to the vet regularly.

The problem solver for us is that we take him out of the carrier and wrap him in a warm and soft baby blanket, cuddle him in our arms and speak softly to him. He just shuts up. Sometimes he buries his head under a flap of the blanket, but it is a miracle.

Also, just in case(for the airplane) we have purchased 2 of the Bach Flower Remedies. They have been sold for a very long time, so they must have some value. They ones we purchased are calming for stressful situations and non toxic. 'Rescue Remedy' and 'Rock Rose'. They say it is safe to put a few drops in their water or to rub a few drops onto the skin of their ears.

Our cat is very well behaved in our arms. No struggling or crying. He feels safe close to us. In the travel case he feels seperate from us and rejected. Coupled with the noise and motion of the car, well, there are too many new experiences and he sort of panics.

Good luck, whatever you do.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I know this contradicts a prior post, but our cat is well behaved except in the car, where she just meows and meows, enough to make us want to stop and run out. She is an oriental, which is pretty much a different colored siamese, so you know the sound. Like a baby crying.

And we take her to the vet regularly.

The problem solver for us is that we take him out of the carrier and wrap him in a warm and soft baby blanket, cuddle him in our arms and speak softly to him. He just shuts up. Sometimes he buries his head under a flap of the blanket, but it is a miracle.

Also, just in case(for the airplane) we have purchased 2 of the Bach Flower Remedies. They have been sold for a very long time, so they must have some value. They ones we purchased are calming for stressful situations and non toxic. 'Rescue Remedy' and 'Rock Rose'. They say it is safe to put a few drops in their water or to rub a few drops onto the skin of their ears.

Our cat is very well behaved in our arms. No struggling or crying. He feels safe close to us. In the travel case he feels seperate from us and rejected. Coupled with the noise and motion of the car, well, there are too many new experiences and he sort of panics.

Good luck, whatever you do.
actually, I think that is a great post. ANd thanks for saying the Bach Flower Remedies. That's what I was thinking about and couldn't remember the name!

About taking the cat out, I have to say I can relate to that as well. My female calmed down in my lap just like that too. But, I don't think it would be wise in a plane. What do you think?

Old 04-14-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
actually, I think that is a great post. ANd thanks for saying the Bach Flower Remedies. That's what I was thinking about and couldn't remember the name!

About taking the cat out, I have to say I can relate to that as well. My female calmed down in my lap just like that too. But, I don't think it would be wise in a plane. What do you think?
Ah-ha. That would be the problem because I don't think a plane would allow you to take the animal out of the carrier. So you'd have to really have something on hand to calm him.

Maybe use the Bach, and just in case, get a prescription from the vet and also powder one of the pills very fine because sometimes that is the only way you can get some of it ingested.

If the cat cries and the plane has not taken off yet they can force you to leave. If the plane has taken off they can probably put him in the animal compartment, and there are hellish stories about those, although they have probably improved.

I will have to go cross country with my cat, and I may be able to get both of us on a cargo plane. Friend of a friend sort of thing. Not so comfortable for me, but also not bothering other people.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:59 PM

Ya, I would just drive, but that's just me.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:58 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,968,334 times
I would drive too. No matter how far I had to travel. My dog is like one of my kids, I can't imagine him getting lost, or being hurt in any way.

I hope the kitty is ok ? I didn't get to read thru all the posts, so I'm not sure if the op gave an update.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:25 PM

14,067 posts, read 19,880,093 times
I would sue sue sue sue sue!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats