U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:31 PM

3,530 posts, read 8,548,485 times

Advertisements

That's a good idea. I've thought of doing that. We bought a carrier (plastic!) when we first got her for emergencies. She was very curious about it and crawled in it and actually fell asleep in it!! She really loves covered up spots, crawls under blankets, hides under things.

So far, the cargo on the plane is OUT!

So either we drive for days or fly with her. The problem with flying with her would be the added cost of having movers take our car. Moving alone will be costly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
You know what helped me was taking my cats for a ride in the car in different scenerios. I didn't actually do it on purpose, it just sort of happened I had to put them in the truck a few times. I learned my laidback female got really stressed and panted alot but my edge male tabby just sat there looking out the window in awe. Now I know what their reactions are, I can prepare accordingly. I would push towards getting used to being crated and traveling in a crate. check with your vet too. I am going to try the pet herbs myself. I have to find the link again. It is in here somewhere in the Dog forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 03:38 PM

thanks for the info! We haven't taken her to the vet once, we just got her last Oct. She definitely doesn't like to be held, mostly likes to cover up under things. It's a tough decision, but that's why I'm asking around so I can make the best decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I know this contradicts a prior post, but our cat is well behaved except in the car, where she just meows and meows, enough to make us want to stop and run out. She is an oriental, which is pretty much a different colored siamese, so you know the sound. Like a baby crying.

And we take her to the vet regularly.

The problem solver for us is that we take him out of the carrier and wrap him in a warm and soft baby blanket, cuddle him in our arms and speak softly to him. He just shuts up. Sometimes he buries his head under a flap of the blanket, but it is a miracle.

Also, just in case(for the airplane) we have purchased 2 of the Bach Flower Remedies. They have been sold for a very long time, so they must have some value. They ones we purchased are calming for stressful situations and non toxic. 'Rescue Remedy' and 'Rock Rose'. They say it is safe to put a few drops in their water or to rub a few drops onto the skin of their ears.

Our cat is very well behaved in our arms. No struggling or crying. He feels safe close to us. In the travel case he feels seperate from us and rejected. Coupled with the noise and motion of the car, well, there are too many new experiences and he sort of panics.

Good luck, whatever you do.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:43 PM

I'd be scared to take her out. It makes me nervous to think of taking her out in the airport security and then on the plane. I really don't know if she'd freak or what. And she's wiley. I mean, if she's trying to hide from you, she's like a wet hotdog, all slippery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
But, I don't think it would be wise in a plane. What do you think?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:16 AM

1,317 posts, read 3,084,014 times
Default scared cat

I had a cat back in high school who was terrified of the carrier or the car and we carried him (all 18 lbs) in a pillowcase when he had to go anywhere. He layed quietly in my lap in the car and I cradled him in my arms, holding the open end tightly in my hand into the vet and then held him on my lap inside. The funniest look I got was from a little boy who was watching Thomas move around in the case and he got his nose into the corner of the case so his head was weaving around. the little boy said "mommy, she has a snake in there" I laughed and said no a cat, he didn't believe me til I opened the end and showed him the furry behind. he laughed and laughed.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:31 AM

ha! how cute!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:15 PM

12,125 posts, read 29,960,862 times
DID THE ORIG POSTER FIND HER CAT!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate not knowing the end of a story!!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:25 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,945,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
I'd be scared to take her out. It makes me nervous to think of taking her out in the airport security and then on the plane. I really don't know if she'd freak or what. And she's wiley. I mean, if she's trying to hide from you, she's like a wet hotdog, all slippery.
Some cats are like that. I had one who would run if I showed any indication of being nervous or stressful. He would often come if I called in a 'playful' voice. I could only trim one toenail at a time. He would not allow me to rub his tummy, which will usually calm them down.

But if my mood were down and I was moping, he would always be there with me, trying to comfort. I think we both met halfway, as far as we were able to.

I learned never to raise my voice with him because it always got the opposite results. I knew he loved me and tried, but sometimes those early instincts, if they were born to a feral mom or were left abandoned, never totally leave.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:39 AM

431 posts, read 1,482,399 times
I would have to say that i would Drive. in the end it would be alot cheaper cause sedating horses cannot be cheap and then to have the kids worring if the dogs and cats were ok (plus myself) would just not be worth it. welcome to my zoo.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:41 PM

6,203 posts, read 15,020,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
DID THE ORIG POSTER FIND HER CAT!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate not knowing the end of a story!!
The OP hasn't posted since January; we may never find out what happened. I'm assuming everything turned out fine, though, or you can bet she'd be on here ranting and raving about the lawsuit she's filing!

Old 04-21-2008, 04:36 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,122,913 times
I'm really glad that things worked out with Buddy, but here's my issue....not to blame the OP, but WHY did you check your animal in the first place? I'll admit, I have a major issue with checking animals as cargo (unless you want your pet to be treated as cargo!), but especially a cat that can go under the seat in front of you? It just doesn't make sense. I'm sooo sorry about what happened to Buddy and I believe he's OK, but I think the bigger point is that yoou shouldn't be checking animals as cargo unless it's an absolutely necessity!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats