U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:29 PM

53 posts, read 145,287 times

Advertisements

OH MY GOD....Delta airlines lost my ragdoll cat! I put my kitty on a Delta plane today, and I just found out they LOST my cat at JFK. God only knows where he is. I do not know if he is warm or safe. At the RDU airport I saw a sign about a missing cat that DELTA lost last month. I joked about not losing my kitty, and This guy "Max" said "oh, we didn't like him. no not really" and I got a bull sh@t story about a weak kennel that cat was in and how it was not their fault. Now lets see. I gave Delta Airlines my cat to put on a plane. They misplaced my pet. Deta does not call me to tell me they lost my pet. I can't get a person on the phone to tell me where the cat is. Yep, I call that losing my pet. UPDATE: I have been told Buddy will be kenneled overnight and will arrive in Burlington Vt. at 10:45, 2nd hand news from friends who were to pick Buddy up. No WRONG , My friends in Burlington where lied to by Delta. They do not know where my cat is. UP DATE: 2:00 am. Jan.1st, Four Hours on the phone with Delta Airlines and you can't talk to person who even cares . I got one woman from Delta Airlines who had the gall to tell me and I quote " Cats are resilient animals, I am sure your cat is fine". Yea right, I asked her if you lost my child on a flight, would you say the same thing? Scary thing is Delta has a the lost and found animal dept. So that tells me losing animals is something Delta Airlines does often... Called JFK again. They are still trying to find Buddy. My poor cat in a small kennel for now thirteen hours, and Delta could care less.
UPDATE: 2:25 am. Jan.1st. Delta found him! Some good news, but now they tell me they won't let him out of his kennel to go potty. I am told he must stay in his small kennel until 9:00 am. At 9:00 am Delta will send him to the JFK animal kennels where he will be let out of his cage and be given a litter box. I want every person at Delta Airlines to have to hold their pee for twenty two hours! This cat was a passenger that I in trusted Delta to take care of. This makes me sick. I will update more after I learn more.. Happy New Year... and please do not fly your pets on Delta Airlines.
UPDATE: 2:27pm. My boy Buddy is now on a Delta Airplane to Burlington Vermont. I found out that JFK Animal Kennels has NO Vet there today. So again Delta lied to me and Buddy did not get any vet care, and the JFK Animal Kennels told me he did not or can not pee. When he gets off the plane he will be rushed to an emergency vet office for proper care. Please say a prayer for my baby, and please Do Not Let Your Pets Fly Delta Airlines. Please let me know if you have had anything go wrong with your pets flying Delta. I will post more when I hear more. Delta lost another cat last month at RDU, and that cat was never found, and they also had a pet die in their care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 09:18 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,932,872 times
I posted a response to this thread and it has disappeared. Where did it go?

Luckily, I DMed the OP...

What the heck happened to my post? There was another post here too, and it is also gone.

Weird!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:22 PM

I better post again -- what I DMed as well.

Cats can go long periods without water and without going wee. They are desert animals. They take in very little water to begin with and their urine is highly concentrated. You hear stories for cats going two weeks or more without water. Well, they can do it.

My cat traveled halfway around the world by air. Due to quarantine restrictions and custom regulations coming into the country, he was stuck in his carrier for over 17 hours, possibly as long as 20. He was absolutely okay. Took him home and it was like nothing happened to him. I, on the other hand, was a total mess. Typical.

I recommend foregoing the emergency vet and just getting your little guy home. Why put more stress in his life? If he looks okay, get him home and put to bed, and be sure to have a glass of wine to settle your nerves.

greenie

Old 01-01-2008, 09:31 PM

By the way, I had posted another thread here about a month ago. In it I said I would never fly my pets with Delta. I had made a reservation, but all the customer service people I spoke to were idiots and one was extremely rude. I said, Okay, I can put up with this nonsense, but I'm not putting my pets on any Delta flight ever. I canceled my reservation and got a refund. I will only fly my kids on American, and only on direct flights, even if it costs more money!

By the way, it's best to take a kitty in the cabin with you when you fly.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:34 PM

Okay, I see what happened.

This thread is posted in TWO PLACES -- under Pets and under Cats.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:36 AM

1,442 posts, read 5,754,435 times
Thank you so much for this information.

I am not planning to fly in the near future, but if I ever have to fly and to take a cat, it will not be with Delta.

I agree that the best place for a flying cat is in the cabin with his/her caretaker.

I shudder at the thought of having an airline lose one of my cats.

Do you remember that case where an airline lost a cat somewhere in the plane and the owner had to go public with a threatened lawsuit before they made serious efforts to find the cat?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:24 AM

2,072 posts, read 10,749,484 times
Sven,

Is kitty OK?

Paula

Old 01-02-2008, 09:34 AM

When are we going to find out what happened to Buddy?

Old 01-02-2008, 09:52 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,723,283 times
That is an absolutely horrific story! Can we say LAWSUIT! I am not a litigious type, but would definitely be looking for any and everyone to sue on this airline. The airlines treat us as humans horribly, how could anyone expect them to care about pets? I would NEVER even consider flying my pet, since I never fly myself either, due to the rudeness and carelessness of airlines in general. Ugh, ugh. I hope your baby, Buddy, is okay! Please let us know!! And yes, do have him taken to the vet. You just don't know what all has happened to him in your absence. I trust NOONE connected to an airline.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
That is an absolutely horrific story! Can we say LAWSUIT! I am not a litigious type, but would definitely be looking for any and everyone to sue on this airline. The airlines treat us as humans horribly, how could anyone expect them to care about pets? I would NEVER even consider flying my pet, since I never fly myself either, due to the rudeness and carelessness of airlines in general. Ugh, ugh. I hope your baby, Buddy, is okay! Please let us know!! And yes, do have him taken to the vet. You just don't know what all has happened to him in your absence. I trust NOONE connected to an airline.
I think this is an exaggerated alarmist attitude. I've flown all over the world, and although I've had a few unhappy experiences, I wouldn't say that as a general rule airlines treat people or animals horribly. I've also flown my pets all over the world and I've had great experiences with airlines. The people who loaded my dog onto a plane for New Zealand air sat with her in the cargo hold until she settled down. When I had to collect my animals back in the states, despite the fact that they were not allowed to release my animals until I'd gotten all the paperwork signed by U.S. customs, Qantas let me see and hold my animals so I knew they were safe.

For the most part, animals fly safely in airlines everyday. Occasionally there are problems and upsets. But I would not use this one example to discourage people from never traveling with their pets again. That's just silly.

greenie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats