Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 03:00 PM

48 posts, read 55,512 times

Advertisements

But I have to feed this medicine food "or else". I'm not a doctor, I have to do what they prescribe so it's not my choice. These posts are scary because it's not just one doctor prescribing this, it's all of them. Is Martha Anne a vet because all vets I ever had precribe the same thing which is opposite than these posts. You are right about the pity comment, that is why I posted here. She can tell all the doctors THEY are all wrong instead of yelling at cat people who are only following strict instructions like I have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 03:11 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,514,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpire1955 View Post
But I have to feed this medicine food "or else". I'm not a doctor, I have to do what they prescribe so it's not my choice. These posts are scary because it's not just one doctor prescribing this, it's all of them. Is Martha Anne a vet because all vets I ever had precribe the same thing which is opposite than these posts. You are right about the pity comment, that is why I posted here. She can tell all the doctors THEY are all wrong instead of yelling at cat people who are only following strict instructions like I have to.
I am telling you that I have had (currently have 11 inside cats) many cats and some with kidney disease, others with struvite crystals, etc. and now, if you do the reading, many vets such as the ones I linked, advocate a raw diet over ANY prescription "diet" canned you can ever feed a cat.

Do some of the reading. I gave out some links.

It's hard to buck what the so-called experts tell us, our vets, but you must become an informed consumer.

My cat with renal disease was advised by my recent Cornell trained vet (recent meaning I had hoped they were at last more enlightened) to give our cat low protein food. That is wrong advice and I had to explain to her that in fact there is no evidence that a high protein raw diet is bad for a renal cat and that in fact the more integrative medicine vets now urge to feed raw above ALL canned or dry for a renal cat! I am in one feline renal disease group (on FB) and they consider raw to be "the best". Canned is always second best. Dry? Forget about it.

If you want to learn how to transition from dry to at least canned, I can tell you. Just ask.

I transitioned 15 cats to 100% raw in less than 2 weeks. It was amazingly easy to do.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:42 PM

48 posts, read 55,512 times
I'm an informed consumer but this is different than just being a consumer anyway because the problem is, I'm not a doctor. This is what is PRESCRIBED and picked up right along with the other medicines. I think the healthy foods are VERY nice and more power to everyone who can feed nice fancy foods but when it comes to medical things, gotta go to doctors. Have been to a few vets and they are just normal vets like everywhere who all have the food, too, so how can it be bad if all the doctors are prescribing it and nobody is complaining? We'd hear about it on the news!!

Old 12-07-2014, 03:45 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Those foods are not medicine. They are very poor quality foods, but they are just food, nothing medical about them. If a vet told you they are medicine, the vet lied.

As was stated, many vets know nothing about feline nutrition. All they know is the propaganda they are fed by the pet food companies in vet school.

Some vets believe this fairy tale, some vets know better but push the food anyway, some vets take the trouble to learn, be a real vet and help their clients pets improve with diet.

What was your cat eating when she suddenly needed these "special" foods?

There are much better things you can do for your cat. Your first step is to learn about feline nutrition an why and obligate carnivore such as the cat needs a wet diet..

www.catinfo.org

is a good place to start. Dr Pierson's site can be overwhelming with the amount of information, so take it slow, in small steps. Spend some times there, get out, think about what you've read, then go learn some more.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:47 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Quote:
I'm an informed consumer but this is different than just being a consumer anyway because the problem is, I'm not a doctor. This is what is PRESCRIBED and picked up right along with the other medicines. I think the healthy foods are VERY nice and more power to everyone who can feed nice fancy foods but when it comes to medical things, gotta go to doctors. Have been to a few vets and they are just normal vets like everywhere who all have the food, too, so how can it be bad if all the doctors are prescribing it and nobody is complaining? We'd hear about it on the news!!
You're not paying attention. Several posts explained why vets "prescribe" what they give you. If you were to do some research on the first 3-4 ingredients in that food, you'd know why it's a bad food, even for a healthy cat. Perhaps you should consider a holistic vet for a second opinion. Do it for your cat.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:49 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Education is key. Get educated. The internet makes it easier to get educated.

Do not blindly believe everything a doctor, whether animal doctor or human doctor, tells you. There are certain things recommended by doctors that I would NEVER do.

Feeding dry cat food is one. I am a convert to wet and raw feeding. I've seen nothing but good results.

Taking certain prescription medicines is another (not that I've been prescribed these, but a good friend has, and she has had more problems as a result of taking the prescription ....long story).

Question everything.

Get educated.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:53 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Pet food manufactures are a huge multi billion dollar business. It has nothing to do with what is good for your cat.

The only nutrition "training" these vets get in vet school is from these pet food companies.

Lots and lots of people are complaining. But there are always more cats to be ruined by dry food, who then are brought to the vet, and "prescribed" these other horrible dry foods. Which in turn makes them eventually sick with some other problem like diabetes or kidney failure or chronic digestive issues, at which time they are "prescribed" another horrible food.

It's a vicious cycle, and the only people who benefit are the pet food companies and the vets.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:55 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Omg, Hills Science Death food has been some of the worst, and most toxic food known to mankind for over 20 years.

They still used synthetic rubber preservatives on their foods up until a few years ago.

If you think that feeding your carnivore grain based foods with rice, corn and wheat by-products is healthy, its no surprise you are at the vet using their same foods in an attempt cure your sick cat.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:57 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Those foods are not medicine. They are very poor quality foods, but they are just food, nothing medical about them. If a vet told you they are medicine, the vet lied.
I agree.

Feeding Science Death diets to sick cats because the vet told you to is akin to a Dr. telling a diabetic to drink processed cans of Ensure to control their diabetes. What they need to be doing is going home and spending 10 minutes making a fresh salad, but that would take effort, and Drs don't sell fresh salads...

Old 12-07-2014, 04:04 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Scenario:

You take cat to vet. Vet says your cat must eat prescription diet, which is only available from vet. You are now a captive consumer. You must spend money buying prescription "food" from vet. Cat still must be seen by vet because cat will have issues eating this junk food. Vet collects LOTS of $$$$ from you, both from office visits AND from food. Vet has a pretty good business going there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats