Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 02:39 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times

Advertisements

Still awake... but I thought of something....

Twinky first got sick around mid-October... probably within a week or so of when the heat was turned on and the windows were closed. I live in the northern most large city of the continental USA... it's dark at 4:00 or so and my house, because it was built green, is very, very quiet. You hear of seasonal affective disorder in humans and I personally know that many people supplement vit D (and it's recommended between Oct-Mar).. could Twinky be suffering from something like this? If not a vitamin issue, but the fact that all the stimulation of birds, bugs and other animals lurking around outside is completely gone until next spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 08:04 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Still awake... but I thought of something....

Twinky first got sick around mid-October... probably within a week or so of when the heat was turned on and the windows were closed. I live in the northern most large city of the continental USA... it's dark at 4:00 or so and my house, because it was built green, is very, very quiet. You hear of seasonal affective disorder in humans and I personally know that many people supplement vit D (and it's recommended between Oct-Mar).. could Twinky be suffering from something like this? If not a vitamin issue, but the fact that all the stimulation of birds, bugs and other animals lurking around outside is completely gone until next spring?
Probably a coincidence. I've not heard of a SAD type thing in cats, although certainly they react some to the shortening days and lengthening nights (and not to our tabulation of time and manipulation of it in November and March, LOL). And the more likely serious problem with Vitamin D in cats is that they can get too much. They can DIE from too much D so don't go thinking about it in human terms!

But, if you didn't turn up anything else wrong, I might wonder about the environmental aspects of the shut up house vs open, you know? Something wrong with the heating system, chemicals in the house if it has a lot of new material, that sort of thing. This is not to be alarmist about your current situation, but just in general if you have gas or oil burning heat it would be a good idea to have at least one CO detector with a readout that can measure smaller concentrations than what otherwise sets off a CO alarm. The smaller concentrations may have effect on pets sooner than they do on humans. (Also good for people with certain health problems, as they can have trouble before the alarm level.) And then CHECK that peak readout every so often. If it reads anything other than 0, have the heating system checked. Most will read down to about 30, but alarm level is much higher than that so if they have a digital readout it will track the peak level but not alarm unless the level is more severe.

As for things for the cats to watch outside, personally we put out bird feeders to draw them to the yard and thus into the cats' view. We sometimes enjoy watching them ourselves (harder in these really short days when for 5 days a week we are gone pretty much all the daylight hours), but the main force behind doing it is so the cats can watch. Draws an occasional squirrel, etc. as well. Even in the winter. We are not as far north as you, but I'm pretty sure there are at least some common feeder birds who are around all winter in just about every corner of the country. The feeder is in the back yard and we have a sliding glass door that the cats can watch through.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:12 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Completely agree about the CO detector, that's just a handy thing for every living being in your home.

Also, cats do have serious responses to changes in routine and environment. Cats are very, very routine oriented. Gradual changes they can adapt to, but sudden ones they don't like. I don't think it would be necessarily enough to cause the symptoms you've described, but I do think it would be good for his wellbeing to have a window to look out of. Remember, just because it's too dark for you doesn't mean it's too dark for the cat to see out there. A bird feeder is a good idea. Even just one window is enough if there is a cat friendly perch nearby. Have you seen the Sunny Seat perches, that fasten on with big suction cups? I have one and they work GREAT, even for a heavy cat. You do have to put some kind of bed or blankie on it so it's comfortable. Watching the outdoors should be healthy mental stimulation for him.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:55 AM

Well, I can cross a couple things off the list: Our HOA requires a CO detector. I think it's biannually checked along with the universal fire system (shared by all the condos), but if not, we personally have ours tested during the annual heating maintenance check up... which was just done in October (about 2 days before it was needed!). It's fine.

I think I mentioned earlier that I follow a "less is more" lifestyle... I strive to reduce my environmental impact and now that I've been doing this for a couple years I am also very sensitive to chemicals. We no longer have anything stronger than a few Mrs. Meyers products we've had for three or more years (which when used up will be replaced with lemon, baking soda and vinegar). My friend mentioned that my house is very "fresh" smelling despite having the two cats (I do a pretty thorough 5 hour weekly cleaning once a week). I did spend the last two years painting the house, room by room.... I actually finished (ended with the garage) in October. The great room was done last December and that's where he spends most his time. Otherwise I can't think of anything else there.

Bird feeders. We have 4 hummingbird feeders and the Anna's are year round where I live. I moved the cat tower upstairs right next to the window feeders for them to look at, but Twinky doesn't care (the other one loves it). He's kind of a difficult cat to please.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Well, I can cross a couple things off the list: Our HOA requires a CO detector. I think it's biannually checked along with the universal fire system (shared by all the condos), but if not, we personally have ours tested during the annual heating maintenance check up... which was just done in October (about 2 days before it was needed!). It's fine.
I'm sure it is. I only brought it up if one was looking for any possible connection between the closing things up for winter and turning on the heat and so forth and a change in the cat. I think you've already found the key problem, the cystitis, and perhaps any other behavior changes are mainly from pain associated with that. I knew of a PERSON who had interstitial cystitis and she described it as very painful. Cats don't make any real signs pain unless it's truly severe, but the discomfort can sometimes manifest in other behaviors.

Quote:
I think I mentioned earlier that I follow a "less is more" lifestyle... I strive to reduce my environmental impact and now that I've been doing this for a couple years I am also very sensitive to chemicals. We no longer have anything stronger than a few Mrs. Meyers products we've had for three or more years (which when used up will be replaced with lemon, baking soda and vinegar). My friend mentioned that my house is very "fresh" smelling despite having the two cats (I do a pretty thorough 5 hour weekly cleaning once a week). I did spend the last two years painting the house, room by room.... I actually finished (ended with the garage) in October. The great room was done last December and that's where he spends most his time. Otherwise I can't think of anything else there.
The cats will be averse to the lemon most likely but it shouldn't hurt them. They don't like citrus smells typically. Anyway you're so in tune to this that it would be hard to believe there's this type of environmental problem. Which leaves only the actual medical problem and potentially anything that would stress him.

I guess the main point in this post: I don't really think you're at a stage where you really need to reach for additional possibilities. And the timing is probably a coincidence.

BTW if you were playing soon after his mealtime that might have been the reason for the vomiting. I've had that happen before! Although you said he refused dinner after that, so that's probably not it. I wonder if he is just not feeling that well, or perhaps the meds made him nauseous. Sometimes that happens. As long as it's an isolated incident and you see some appetite come back it's not a big deal.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:49 PM

4 posts, read 3,768 times
I have not read this whole thread, but have read a few of the posts and would like to comment on what I've read, so if I've repeated anything someone else has said, my apologies beforehand.

In the meantime, get an eyedropper and forcefeed your cat water a few times a day. You want him going to the bathroom as much as possible, as you want to try and flush out as many of the crystals as you can. Not a cure, not a way to avoid them, but right now might help the cat not completely block for a short time until you can solve the problem. Understand, this is not a solution, nor a replacement for another solution. It will simply POSSIBLY buy you a little time and make the cat a bit more comfortable but no guarantees.

I wasn't very clear on the litter box positions, but if you have more than one floor, for now, there should be a litter box on each level of the home. Also, there should be one near where the cat with the problems hangs the most. You don't need this forever, but for now it would help.

I don't know if this was mentioned in the thread, but there is an operation the vet can do that can help immensely. In most cases it helps stop the UTI's, especially if you watch the stress and food issues reasonably. I don't remember the name of the operation, but it is basically a sex change for the cat. It enlarges the size of the opening, which pretty much turns the male into a female, but that also lets the cat get rid of the crystals. Although it is my understanding that in some cases UTI's can still occur, it does pretty much take care of the problem and make it much less a problem if they do occur, especially if the cat is taking in enough water. Ask your vet about it.

As far as the stress relating to your children goes, before I say anything else and you get your knickers in a twist, I am autistic, and have told the neuro whatevers and whatever therapists about it, and not all of them are always right. I live it every day and have lived it for 60 years, and feel quite confident in my right and ability to talk about this. Too many times too little is expected from these children, which never gives them the chance to see how far they can go. Expectation without negativity, in my opinion, is the key. Children who are autistic can still be taught not to exhibit certain behaviors, the trick is to give them alternatives. Not just "no," but "this is unacceptable. If you have the urge too do this, then do this other acceptable behavior instead." For example, it is unacceptable to squish that particular cat. So give him a stuffed toy cat that looks similar and he is allowed to squish that if he feels the need. Teach him to do that now with these kinds of issues and it will help him learn strategies to live more successfully and harmoniously in the outside world when he is ready to enter it. but if you accept everything he does, how will he ever learn to live in the real world when you may not be able to hold his hand? Something to think about from someone who lives this every day.

That being said, this is one of those times that, if you ever decide to get another cat (and it goes for dogs too), why getting cats that are a little older, especially when there are children with challenges in the home (or the home has any kinds of challenges, child-related or not) is a good idea. Because when a cat is older, the personality has been formed, and you can tell right away if the cat is okay dealing with someone who is in-your-face, or whatever needs it is hoped the cat can fill. I have drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrr (sorry that was my cat lol) Life is a lot easier if you fit the cat to the home rather than visa versa. Someone I know who does rescue work had a special needs grandson who loved cats. But nobody would get him one because not only were they concerned about him getting scratched as he had physical weaknesses as well, he would get so excited around cats that he would scream at the top of his lungs when he was around one. He was a toddler, so difficult to discipline at that time. Well, wouldn't you know, in her travels she came across a rescue cat that had already been declawed, who's teeth were missing, and who was deaf. She brought it home for her grandson and the two are inseparable. So in the future, fit the cat to your son, and a very big problem would be solved, and the cat would be stress-free, like your other one is who luckily is in tune.

All that being said, at the beginning your post sort of threw me off. I would think it was not the best idea to get a pet when you were in a position to make a financial limit if there is a problem. Doing the best you can in a situation and running out is one thing. Making a "life or death" limit beforehand made me cringe.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
That is a much better option, but I hope we don't get that point. Also, how do we really know that our family is not a good place for him(Twinky)? Even though he's not the social one, I think he's everyone's favorite... he's soooo soft and fluffy and has the cutest meow. The other one (Thomas) is equally awesome in other ways... he's so smart that he's been trained to tap us if he wants something....but he's just not quite as "cute" as Twinky. Twinky doesn't run from us the way some cats will. I have an active client for a month who's cat will NOT come out from under the bed.... EVER... I knew this before I accepted the assignment and the only way I know he's doing okay is by monitoring his water and food bowls, litter box and the placement of his toys. Twinky is most often around us.. he's just a "look but don't touch!" kinda guy. Is that enough to say he shouldn't be in our home? I don't know... I hope not.

Umm, I would think you really know that your family is not a good place for him WHEN YOU ARE CONSIDERING KILLING HIM. That's a pretty good hint right there.

Nor is that teaching your son how to have respect and/or empathy for other life, is it?

He needs more teaching and examples for that than most. Again, I'm autistic, which I think gives ne the right as well as the responsibility to comment on it.

Sorry but I don't think you are going to find anyone to say it's okay to do what you are thinking of doing. In the span of a lifetime I don't think a few more thousand dollars to save a beloved pet that "is everyone's favorite" is going to make or break your son's future quality of life.

What I do think will affect it more is how and what you teach him now. I learn how to deal with people mostly by watching others I trust and seeing how and what they do and sometimes asking them about it. And right now you are teaching him, by example, that it's okay to "toss" a loved one, be nonchalant about their life and right to live, and even kill them outright because they become a bit inconvenient or expensive.

Some of what you say makes sense. Some sounds more like excuses or a way to not face the reality of your actions to sooth your conscience.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookiefool5 View Post
Umm, I would think you really know that your family is not a good place for him WHEN YOU ARE CONSIDERING KILLING HIM. That's a pretty good hint right there.

Nor is that teaching your son how to have respect and/or empathy for other life, is it?

He needs more teaching and examples for that than most. Again, I'm autistic, which I think gives ne the right as well as the responsibility to comment on it.

Sorry but I don't think you are going to find anyone to say it's okay to do what you are thinking of doing. In the span of a lifetime I don't think a few more thousand dollars to save a beloved pet that "is everyone's favorite" is going to make or break your son's future quality of life.

What I do think will affect it more is how and what you teach him now. I learn how to deal with people mostly by watching others I trust and seeing how and what they do and sometimes asking them about it. And right now you are teaching him, by example, that it's okay to "toss" a loved one, be nonchalant about their life and right to live, and even kill them outright because they become a bit inconvenient or expensive.

Some of what you say makes sense. Some sounds more like excuses or a way to not face the reality of your actions to sooth your conscience.
The fact that you autistic is meaningless to me. What I want to know is:

Are you the mother/father of an autistic child?
Are you a mother/father of a human child?
Are you fully secure in your financial future?
If you have an autistic child, is your child going to be okay, financially speaking?
If you have a child, have you all the financial resources to raise them?

My children are not pets. My children are humans. The pets are just pets. I have no issue with this value statement. In some countries dogs are treated as children and in others, they're cooked for dinner. How one feels about their animal is arbitrary and culturally-fixed.

I really like my cats and I give them love and high quality food and toys and I take them to the vet.. but in my value system they hold no place above my children or my financial obligations.

I appreciate this post because it has made me realize that it is far better for Twinky to be surrendered and have another chance at finding a home and have more life than it is for me to have him put down. So in my view, that discussion is closed.

I also think my participation in this thread is over with too. There is nothing to be gained from it. You certainly aren't going to change my priorities.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:44 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times
<<<<<< My frustration is with what the vets charge these days. As our little boys gets older, it would be harder to justify spending that much money but we aren't there yet. Here in Calfironia the vets are required to give you the option of filling the prescriptions at regular drug store but our, now former vet, claims the manufacture won't allow him to do that so we were charged $80 for an antibiotic. Their charges make sad choices even more painful just because they know we are emotionally vulnerable when our little ones are sick.>>>>>>>

I totally agree! My suggestion is to get 2nd & 3rd opinions. Within the past 6 weeks I had both cats to the vet for checkups (a new vet for us, since our local vet is more a large /farm animal vet & I've not been happy with them several times for how they treated the cats).

The new vet diagnosed tooth problems with both cats (old vet hasn't looked at their teeth in the 15+ years we've gone there). The bad thing was that the estimate for each cat was in the $750-850 range. That is absolutely a no-go for us. We figured we'd have to put them both down or choose between them (and how much can you reasonably spend on 15 & 17 year old cats???). Anyway, after a couple weeks of talking & tears I posted on some local websites asking for other vet recommendations. 2 names were far and away mentioned, so I called them both. Neither had schedule openings for both cats on the same day until in Feb. So I made appointments for 1 cat at each. One had cleaning & 3 teeth pulled, not the 2 teeth mentioned by the first vet, and the other had cleaning and 1 tooth pulled. The costs were $280 for the first cat and $110 for the 2nd. That we COULD afford and didn't seem to unreasonable to invest in them.

The 2nd, younger (15 yrs) cat, especially, who has had a lot of health problems and for us, a lot of $$ spent on her over the years, is partly blind & has untreated diabetes, that we helped a lot by switching to a grain-free diet.

Anyway, I'm just trying to suggest that looking at other vets and what they charge is another option for any pet owner.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
The fact that you autistic is meaningless to me. What I want to know is:

Are you the mother/father of an autistic child?
Are you a mother/father of a human child?
Are you fully secure in your financial future?
If you have an autistic child, is your child going to be okay, financially speaking?
If you have a child, have you all the financial resources to raise them?
Whoa.

You have an autistic child and say that to me?

If you had any thoughts other than for yourself (because I don't think you think about your child or you would take the opportunity to maybe understand him better) you would never have said that. Most parents of autistic children would want the input of someone who can give them insight into their child. But that would take away from the attention you want on you.

And all those questions for me, they are going to help your child how?

I now believe you are who you seemed to be at the outset. A self-involved person who cares nothing about anyone else's life, including your child's. Because your focus is only being a parent of an autistic child, not your child himself.

You did not hear what I said, that a few thousand over a lifetime is not going to change his lifestyle. I didn't say all your money. I said a few thousand over a lifetime. I am really sorry for you and your son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats