Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 07:44 PM

500 posts, read 1,173,555 times

Advertisements

My 14 year old male cat has never chased his tail in the entire 12 years I've had him. But for the last 3 or 4 days, it's been an obsession. He doesn't stand and chase it, but will grab at it playfully while it waves in front of him while he's sitting or lying down. It's kind of cute, but the tip of his tail is starting to lose hair. He's been alternating tonight between doing that and just staring at it, almost hypnotically, while it waves.

Has your cat ever changed so suddenly like this? Is it a sign of dementia, perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 11:09 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,986,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
Has your cat ever changed so suddenly like this? Is it a sign of dementia, perhaps?
It could be a sign of horrific boredom. Does he have a few windows to look out? A cat condo or two? Do you have interactive toys and play with him every day?

Old 01-07-2015, 07:14 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,982,275 times
It very possibly could be that something physical is going on with his tail and he just doesn't understand the feeling and is trying to stop it by attacking it. It could be something painful or a tingling sensation in his tail - I doubt it's dementia as if he's thinking "what is this new thing?" when his tail is moving about. The tip's fur either falling out or being pulled out is an indicator that something is going on, especially since it's a brand new quick-onset behavior. If he'll let you, I'd examine his tail from tip to hip. Try to look at the skin for a bite (spider? fleas?) or for a rash or crusty skin. Try to feel the bones, feeling for anything unusual. While you're doing all this, watch his body language for a reaction.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:39 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,921,461 times
Our late Tucker used to play with his tail from time to time, but he did it his entire life, but it wasn't that often.

Is he due for a vet visit/wellness exam? I would certainly ask about this. If you can, take a short video to show your vet, because he probably won't do it on the exam table.

ITA with mawi's comment above.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:45 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times
Long long long ago, right after a move, my Jeremy cat chewed the tip of his tail down to the bone. Took lots of meds and a neck cone to get him ok.

So, think about if there is something stressing him that could be fixed or mitigated. Maybe the calming scent product "Feliway" could help??

I'd also take him to the vet to check for mites/fleas/mange/other skin problem. Maybe a change in food is making him itchy?

Good luck.

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 01-08-2015 at 01:00 AM..

Old 01-08-2015, 06:13 PM

He has a vet appointment Saturday.

His long time best buddy of 12 years died this summer, so now he's the only cat in the house and alone during the day while I'm at work, but that was 7 months ago, and this behavior just started a few days ago. He's doing it while sitting next to me, so he's not bored. I don't see any bites that I can see, and he doesn't really flinch when I touch it any more than normal.

I guess we'll see!

Old 01-09-2015, 05:56 AM

cmjones311 -- keep us up-to-date! This is so curious (and you know what curiosity does to a cat :-)

Old 01-15-2015, 07:29 PM

You were correct, mawipafl. She said it was likely that he's getting some sort of sensation in the tail and he's trying to make it subside or go away. She said just to keep an eye on it, didn't give him anything for it.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:18 AM

Thanks for the update! Let us know if the tail-chasing has gone away. Sometimes these weird things come and go and we never know why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats