Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 01:23 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,947,054 times

Advertisements

I wonder why any of you think that this law is going to stop cat's from being declawed.
In reality it isn't, it is going to make underground, unsanitary declawing, just like underground, unsanitary abortions years ago when they were completely banned.

So what is everyone going to do about all of the dead cats laying about when they have had an illegal, unsanitary declaw done?
If you think anyone is going to find out about it often, you are living in a fantasy land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 05:24 PM

1,059 posts, read 824,268 times
You mean there will be veterinarians who do back-alley declawing or pseudo technicians using pliers to remove the claws? I highly doubt it. No decent veterinarian would do anything like this to jeopardize his/her license, reputation and livelihood. In fact, at least here in California, a very high percentage of veterinarians are against declawing.

Comparing backstreet abortions done pre-legalization to declawing a cat is ridiculous!

Old 05-15-2015, 07:38 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,237,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
You mean there will be veterinarians who do back-alley declawing or pseudo technicians using pliers to remove the claws? I highly doubt it. No decent veterinarian would do anything like this to jeopardize his/her license, reputation and livelihood. In fact, at least here in California, a very high percentage of veterinarians are against declawing.

Comparing backstreet abortions done pre-legalization to declawing a cat is ridiculous!
I couldn't agree more. Making the procedure illegal will drastically reduce, if not eliminate, the number of vets available to do it. At the same time, it will also reduce (& hopefully eliminate) pet owners from asking for it to be done in the first place. Once it becomes common knowledge that it's banned/illegal, I doubt there will be very many cat owners willing to break the law to save the sofa.
The only downside to declawing becoming unavailable might be that some cat somewhere might not get adopted, or maybe returned to the shelter at the first sign of damage. But maybe in those cases, the cat might better off elsewhere than with someone who put more value on a piece of furniture than a living being.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:06 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I wonder why any of you think that this law is going to stop cat's from being declawed.
In reality it isn't, it is going to make underground, unsanitary declawing, just like underground, unsanitary abortions years ago when they were completely banned.
You think selfish cruel people would make it worth the while of the back-alley declawerer to break the law and risk a fine or jail time? They have to be willing to pay an enormous amount of money.

Quote:
So what is everyone going to do about all of the dead cats laying about when they have had an illegal, unsanitary declaw done?
If you think anyone is going to find out about it often, you are living in a fantasy land.
You may be in fantasy land since this is not happening in the countries where it is already illegal. Let those who wont have a cat unless it's de-clawed get some other kind of pet. A bird maybe or a goldfish.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:39 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,150,794 times
While I wholeheartedly agree with cat declawing being cruel and support banning......but there are going to be even more cat surrenders afterward. More hoarding, more warehousing, more abandoned ferals.......

I think there should be a mandatory spay/neuter law priority. The population has to come down. We need a world where cats are a little hard to find and only truly committed owners get them.

By all means double team both legislative efforts at the same time, but spay neuter is just sooooo important and its only going to happen if its a law.

Jim B - 1) vets won't be legally able to declaw. Easy. No agents necessary. Duh.

2) I always hate the enforcement argument. At least if a law is on the books a violater can have their animal removed, fined etc. even if there isn't active enforcement. Put yourself in the shoes of a neighbor who sees their neighbor chain a dog outside with no shelter, little water or food for years on end. Sure no one is going around actively seeking and ticketing people who do that. But at least if someone reports it the cops have a law on the books to do something about it. For years and years there was no law and people could just torture their dogs like that. Now there are some laws in place in some areas that give animal control some authority if they get a call. WORTH IT! and no at all "silly".

Old 05-16-2015, 08:59 AM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
Quote:
but there are going to be even more cat surrenders afterward.
No, this is not going to happen. As it is, delawed cats are relinquished (or simply kicked outside, or dumped in a remote area) as often as clawed cats. Someone who won't make the effort to train a cat is not going to tolerate any other "behavior" either.

House soiling and biting are common results to declawing. No one ever seems to make the connection to the fact that the cat had his toes amputated six months or six years ago, and now he won't use the litter box because it HURTS.

Or he bites when touched, because it HURTS to be touched (early arthritis is very common, because a cat's gait and stance is changed drastically from the amputation, regardless of the method)

Or they are moving and can't take "the cat". Or they got new furniture and the cat doesn't match. (meaning the cat's shedded fur will show up on the couch).

All these stupid reasons happen to declawed cats just as often as clawed. It's not going to make a bit of difference, because declawing does not "keep cats in homes" and it does not "save lives".

Old 05-17-2015, 12:35 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,459,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
As it is, delawed cats are relinquished (or simply kicked outside, or dumped in a remote area) as often as clawed cats. Someone who won't make the effort to train a cat is not going to tolerate any other "behavior" either.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:04 PM

12 posts, read 12,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
You all probably are against spanking too, huh?

I have a cat thats declawed and I have 2 more that i plan to get declawed as well. My declawed one is just as happy as the ones that arent. The declaw argument is just as silly as the circumcision argument. You dont want to do it then fine but anything beyond that is too much.
You'll be singing a different tune about declawing when your cats refuse to use the litterbox when they get older because of arthritis. Have fun with that.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chienduciel View Post
You'll be singing a different tune about declawing when your cats refuse to use the litterbox when they get older because of arthritis. Have fun with that.
They'll just dump the cat off at the nearest Animal Control facility or have their vet euthanize it. Seen it happen more than once in my years at the Animal Hosp.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

Or he bites when touched, because it HURTS to be touched (early arthritis is very common, because a cat's gait and stance is changed drastically from the amputation, regardless of the method)
Severe arthritis caused by de-clawing was the reason my SD had to have one of her de-clawed cats put down at age 8. He was in constant and chronic pain. I still miss him when we visit there. He was such a sweet kitty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats