Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 05:08 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times

Advertisements

Legislation to ban cat-declawing introduced by assemblywoman - NY Daily News

I realize it is early days. But it is a step in the right direction. It is going to happen, everywhere, and maybe I will live to see it after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 09:45 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,922,669 times
Wow, I am impressed that steps are even being taken. There is still so much misunderstanding of declawing and what it is. Crossing my fingers.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:05 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Legislation to ban cat-declawing introduced by assemblywoman - NY Daily News

I realize it is early days. But it is a step in the right direction. It is going to happen, everywhere, and maybe I will live to see it after all.
I sincerely hope this is successful, and that it spreads to the rest of the country... the sooner, the better.
It has always saddened & frustrated me that declawing a cat is considered acceptable to solve an owner's 'problem', rather than the outright animal abuse that it really is. Animal abuse is already illegal most everywhere, and declawing should fall into that category.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:11 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,683,630 times
You all probably are against spanking too, huh?

I have a cat thats declawed and I have 2 more that i plan to get declawed as well. My declawed one is just as happy as the ones that arent. The declaw argument is just as silly as the circumcision argument. You dont want to do it then fine but anything beyond that is too much.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:13 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,205,840 times
I hope this goes through. Declawing is cruel. We adopted Teddy, a rescued Maine Coon back in 2009. He came to us declawed from a previous owner......definitely not something we would ever do. Teddy was an absolute mushy love bug of a giant cat but he had some litter box issues which we think was because of declawing. He was also a bit nervous at times. His front paws looked different from regular ones. Strangely ,he was the dominant cat out the3 we had during this time period. Its a very awful thing to do to a cat. Its amazing that most people really only think declawing means just taking out claws.........

Old 01-15-2015, 01:52 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post

I have a cat thats declawed and I have 2 more that i plan to get declawed as well. My declawed one is just as happy as the ones that arent. The declaw argument is just as silly as the circumcision argument. You dont want to do it then fine but anything beyond that is too much.
Chop your fingers off at the first joint, let them heal up, then get down on the floor and walk on your hands and knees. How 'happy' and 'fine' will you be?
I would hope you would want to educate yourself about the long term effects of declawing, but you sound like your mind is made up and probably won't. The fact that you think being against declawing is silly says it all. I feel sorry for your cats.

Last edited by catdad7x; 01-15-2015 at 02:41 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 02:15 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,205,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Chop your fingers off at the first joint, let them heal up, then get down on the floor and walk on your hands and knees. How 'happy' and 'fine' will you be?
I would hope you would want to educate yourself about the long term effects of declawing, but you sound like your mind is made up and probably won't. The fact that you think being against declawing is silly says it all. I feel sorry for the your cats.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:51 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
Quote:
Correct. I don't mutilate or spank my cats.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:31 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,922,669 times
Quote:
Seventeen years ago, I felt like you and had my cat declawed. However, seeing the pain he was in that night (pain killers weren't given and I didn't know any better to ask) made me rethink my decision. I vowed to NEVER again declaw any of our cats.

More than likely, your declawed cat is not as happy as you think and is feeling pain when walking. Visit a website like stopdeclaw.com and you might change your mind. . .

Old 01-16-2015, 07:39 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,604 times
Has any one though about HOW this law will be "Enforced " ?

I don't think that any community is going to be willing to PAY an enforcement agent, to go around to homes, and ask to see the cat, or cats, to verify that they have their claws, or not.

My two cats never go outside, and my first reaction to this thread was.........Another unenforceable silly law.

Any one here care to suggest HOW this law, if it is passed, will be "enforced " ?

Jim B. In Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats