Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 06:28 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Zombie Cat: Buried Kitty Believed Dead, Meows Back to Life

Looks like he used up all his nine lives!

A cat in Florida that was hit by a car and then buried is apparently back from the dead.

"I was so shocked," owner Ellis Hutson told ABC News. "I didn’t know really what to do."

Zombie Cat: Buried Kitty Believed Dead, Meows Back to Life - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 09:12 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
Default "Warning: graphic content"

The neighbor's cat died the same day, of similar injuries, and they're chalking it up to being "hit by the same car"? Nice trying, but I'm not buying.

An office building where I once worked was situated right next to an expressway. Many a cat was "dropped off" there by heartless people who knew they could do the deed in the late night or early morning and escape fast. Unsurprisingly the cats often turned out to be pregnant females. They would find shelter in crawl spaces underneath the building, and caring individuals employed there kept food and water bowls filled. In every instance that the abandoned feline was expecting, she even got taken to a rescue facility for spaying after her kittens were weaned. Our placement record for cats and kittens alike was 100%.
But before a feral tomcat who had set up housekeeping at that building could be TNR'd (he went home with a co-worker) fate wasn't so kind. People arriving early for their jobs one morning found him resting against a wall, howling, with a ghastly wound. He'd tried to befriend the wrong person and taken a boot to the head. His left eye dangled from its socket by a few tendons and blood vessels. Throwing caution to the winds, some of us corralled him and got him into a carrier after rescue workers raced to the scene.

I think there's a neighborhood in Tampa with psycho cat hater(s) on the loose.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:03 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
I'm finding hard to believe that the cat wouldn't have shown some signs of life. He obviously wasn't dead, though he may have been in shock and had very shallow breathing and low body temp. Something tells me they didn't check him very closely, and maybe were in too big a hurry to dispose of him.
Anyway, just glad he survived. One lucky cat that had a strong will to live.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:14 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
The sight of the pictures and the thought of what that poor creature suffered makes me just want to cry.

Honestly I can kind of imagine, if I have such a really hard time even seeing a photo, that maybe the owner didn't have the heart to inspect the cat's body very closely and merely assumed that since the injuries were so horrific and the cat did not appear to be alive, it must be dead. It is an easier assumption, and to swiftly hide the horror from sight, because it doesn't bear thinking about. I'd have nightmares. And that's even before the cat survived the whole ordeal and came back...of course if I had done such a thing and the cat survived, I would beggar myself, I would mortgage my house and sell my belongings, I would do anything to get it every ounce of the best vet care under the sun, to honor its fighting spirit and try to give it some more happy years after that.

That poor, poor cat.

The real lesson here is that it's better for cats to stay in the house where they won't be struck by cars.

That's what I think anyways.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:21 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Also regarding the neighbor's cat being hit and killed by the same car, I wonder if maybe they were chasing each other or something? Did the article say if it happened at the same time? I can't click on it and read it, because I'm avoiding the photos...they make my heart feel pinched. I could never be a veterinarian I tell you. Human carnage I can see and be fine, but not animals, especially not cats.

I've seen cats run right out into the street in front of traffic because they were having a territorial squabble and chased one another. It's one significant argument I use when people claim that their cats are smart enough to stay out of the street or avoid running in front of cars...sure, they might be when they are calm and things are quiet. But a cat that is being chased, or doing the chasing, just doesn't have that kind of sense. The time I saw it, not long ago in my neighborhood, the cats very narrowly avoided being hit, and the car fortunately was driven by someone who has quick reflexes, good brakes, and no hate for cats. They both swerved and braked, dramatically, to avoid hitting the kitties. A lot of drivers would not have.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:35 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I'm finding hard to believe that the cat wouldn't have shown some signs of life. He obviously wasn't dead, though he may have been in shock and had very shallow breathing and low body temp. Something tells me they didn't check him very closely, and maybe were in too big a hurry to dispose of him.
Anyway, just glad he survived. One lucky cat that had a strong will to live.
I'm with you on this and I have a little inside info. The neighbor that was interviewed and said the cat was cold and stiff is a relative of mine. She is not very trustworthy from what I have heard. I made some calls after I read the article in the link because I was stunned that I knew the neighbor. I really don't want to say too much more because she's been out of my life for over 30 years and I'd like to keep it that way. I live over a thousand miles away and that's just fine. She tends to exaggerate quite a bit. I just hope the gofundme money makes it to the proper person/business.

I hope the owner keeps the cat inside from now on.

Last edited by ouijeewoman; 01-30-2015 at 12:13 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 04:03 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
That poor cat. I saw an update on Facebook from the shelter that is caring for the cat. I can't find it now, dangit, but the shelter is not returning the cat to the family, nor does the shelter know anything about the GoFundMe account.

ETA: Found it!

http://humanesocietytampa.org/miracl...rom-the-grave/

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 01-30-2015 at 04:12 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 04:56 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That poor cat. I saw an update on Facebook from the shelter that is caring for the cat. I can't find it now, dangit, but the shelter is not returning the cat to the family, nor does the shelter know anything about the GoFundMe account.

ETA: Found it!

Miracle Cat Comes Back From The Grave! | The Humane Society of Tampa Bay
Oh boy! I am NOT surprised at all with what you have found. I had a feeling this was going to happen. I alerted the rest of the family yesterday. No one has much to do with her and this is a good example why. Thanks Ohiogirl81 for the info you provided. I will be passing it along to the others. I really have to bite my tongue concerning this for various reasons. It's just very disconcerting to read an article and find out you know/are related to someone in the article. This whole thing just makes me sick to my stomach.

I am glad that Bart won't be returned to his family. I hope he finds an awesome furrever home.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:08 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
It's just very disconcerting to read an article and find out you know/are related to someone in the article.
Sorry to hear that. Ugh.

I did want to underscore the info about the GoFundMe account. It may wind up going to the shelter, and I hope it does, but you never know, especially now that the shelter will not return the cat to the home.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:19 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
The neighbor's cat died the same day, of similar injuries, and they're chalking it up to being "hit by the same car"? Nice trying, but I'm not buying.

An office building where I once worked was situated right next to an expressway. Many a cat was "dropped off" there by heartless people who knew they could do the deed in the late night or early morning and escape fast. Unsurprisingly the cats often turned out to be pregnant females. They would find shelter in crawl spaces underneath the building, and caring individuals employed there kept food and water bowls filled. In every instance that the abandoned feline was expecting, she even got taken to a rescue facility for spaying after her kittens were weaned. Our placement record for cats and kittens alike was 100%.
But before a feral tomcat who had set up housekeeping at that building could be TNR'd (he went home with a co-worker) fate wasn't so kind. People arriving early for their jobs one morning found him resting against a wall, howling, with a ghastly wound. He'd tried to befriend the wrong person and taken a boot to the head. His left eye dangled from its socket by a few tendons and blood vessels. Throwing caution to the winds, some of us corralled him and got him into a carrier after rescue workers raced to the scene.

I think there's a neighborhood in Tampa with psycho cat hater(s) on the loose.
I hate people who abuse and kill animals. Cat haters are a joke & losers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats