Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 11:41 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times

Advertisements

You need to kitten proof your house and when kitty jumps up on the counter looking for trouble you should give him a squirt of water from a squirt gun.

Could this kitty be destroying things for attention? Like how a bratty kid throws a tantrum?

I think you kitty has abandonment issues and when you step out it goes and wrecks things to get your attention. Even bad attention is better than none. you might need to call the cat whisper guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 05:36 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Daisy does some of her best work at night while we are sleeping. She usually drags the treat bag off the counter and tries to chew it open, but this is what greeted me this morning !

She found a bag of Ritz crackers, dragged them over to the living room, and got them open ! This crime had Daisy written all over it ! Good thing she is so cute and we love her.

Don

Old 02-05-2015, 08:14 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
How many did Daisy eat??????????

I'll never forget the time Dad left an unopened box of Hostess Powdered Donuts on the counter. Overnight, my Daisy opened the box and ate just the top of each donut.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:16 AM

112 posts, read 300,996 times
LOL @ Don! That's great

Not only must we take care not to leave out cat food they can get to, we have to make sure people food is put away too! I've put out a plate with little snacks and crackers and cheeses before and Patches would steal all the cheese away! I left out a bag of cheesey snacks the other night while I got up to check on something, came back, and the cat's head was in the bag. They are indeed lucky they are cute!

As for the OP, I have no help, I have rascals as well. A younger kitten might be of help if that's a possibility.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:21 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Re Bennie -- perhaps a strong magnet for the door will keep him out?? Or the child protective latches? But a stream of water from a sprayer may also work. Good Luck![/quote]

The magnets are too big.......I've tried. I've tried various baby latches.........I have very old (100+ yo)
cabinets. There's not a baby latch on the market that works. I've tried. The base cabinets I have no problem with, but they are a much newer vintage.

Oh I have 6 different spray bottles around the house. Ben's the only one out of the 5 that is not afraid.
As soon as I pick up a spray bottle...........the other 4 run for cover.

The boy has no fear..........except when I pull up the hood on my down coat. For some reason it scares him.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:22 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Cats are gonna be cats. Expecting cats to stay off of counters, tables, furniture, or just about any other place you don't want them ... good luck with that. Think of the positives: it's a great incentive to keep your counters empty like in those magazines. You don't burn up money with candles. You put things away...

I used to have a paper shredder. Oh, he loved shredding! I couldn't even put Christmas gifts under the tree ... he was also fond of shiny gold things. Not shiny silver, not shiny red, just shiny gold. I no longer put glass balls on my Christmas tree (just unbreakable ornaments). I'm ocd about putting away my jewelry, especially anything small and shiny like earrings.

I now a pair of grazers. Luckily, I had removed all toxic plants from my house years ago, and I use silk poinsettias rather than real ones.

Bungee cords are effective at keeping cats out of cabinets. I haven't had one yet that could defeat a bungee stretched tight between the door knobs.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:09 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Whenever Nimbus is getting into mischief, I take whatever it is away from him and put it away and then toss one of his toys for him to play with. But he's not terrible about this sort of thing. He also has a lot of toys.

We had some incidents with bread products, learning we cannot leave a bag of rolls or something out on the counter. He took 'em to "his lair" (the basement) and demolished the bag. Bits of bread and plastic EVERYWHERE. He has also done this with paper towels. The other night he discovered a plastic box full of nails that was sitting on the counter (I'd been hanging some stuff on a wall, and set them there)...he bumped it and the nails inside made a noise. So he started pushing it around with his paw. I caught him just before he pushed them off onto the floor, thank goodness, because we would have had nails everywhere if the box had popped open (likely.)

I agree with posters who have said, do what you can to cat-proof.

Also wondering if the cat is young, and/or unfixed. Those things can make a big difference. A fixed cat settles down some, and maturity also helps. Is it a weird "wild" breed like a Bengal? If so, you might be out of luck...they require special handling. They are the Border Collies of the cat world. If not extensively exercised, they get very destructive.

Other than that...cat's gonna cat. *shrug*

Old 02-05-2015, 01:56 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Daisy does some of her best work at night while we are sleeping. She usually drags the treat bag off the counter and tries to chew it open, but this is what greeted me this morning !

She found a bag of Ritz crackers, dragged them over to the living room, and got them open ! This crime had Daisy written all over it ! Good thing she is so cute and we love her.

Don
At least the Ritz were easier to pick up than Cheez-Its. (ask me how I know )

She is awfully cute, and I can see why she was forgiven. Hard to be mad when they show you the tummy.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:47 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
How many did Daisy eat??????????

I'll never forget the time Dad left an unopened box of Hostess Powdered Donuts on the counter. Overnight, my Daisy opened the box and ate just the top of each donut.
Bwahahahahahahaha! That is SUCH a cat thing to do.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:53 PM

48 posts, read 75,085 times
Get rid of the cat and go get a cat that is mature in age, done with the kitty energy. Don't go out of your way for a cat, they are there for you to enjoy them not stress you out. Get rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats