Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:17 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times

Advertisements

vikesfanmb -- I'm truly sorry for your frustrations, but this thread has me laughing. Then I was thinking -- knowing you're not alone, does it lessen your frustration? :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 06:22 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Counters: cleared
Table: empty
So what does a frustrated cat do who has NOTHING to knock off?

Why, go into the bathroom, jump on those counters, and knock the soap in the sink, the toothpaste into the garbage can, and the toothbrush onto the floor!! Yes, one of my girls did that late last night.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:26 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
I look at the bright side... giving my cats counter/table access means keeping all breakables (& other clutter) put away. It makes for a very tidy house.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:47 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I look at the bright side... giving my cats counter/table access means keeping all breakables (& other clutter) put away. It makes for a very tidy house.
LOL That's what I had to do with Amber. In later years it was not so much of a problem. She couldn't jump up onto the counter anymore and such. But early on, she was into everything. In a couple places where I lived she could get up on the fridge! She could open the kitchen cabinets, and to this day I still have safety latches on some of them. (I don't think the new guys will open them.) In one place Amber could open the UPPER cabinets from the counter, and then get inside. Anything on the tables and counters was fare game, so I kept a very minimalist home, except for the bedroom where I didn't let her go. In earlier years she also chewed on cords, which was a problem.

But yeah, for many years having Amber around meant having a tidy home. Now we are slobs because the new cats don't disturb anything much at all. Such a stark contrast.

Anyway, yes, for the OP, you probably have to cat-proof a little bit. It is ultimately more direct to change a bit of your own habits than expect to prevent a young (I'm assuming young and kittenish) cat from doing things especially while you are not at home.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:28 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
The very idea of cord chewing scares the heck out of me. I'm so glad Nimbus has never shown an interest in doing that. We have so many electronics, it would be very time consuming and difficult, possibly quite costly, to make all of the cords cat-safe.

Although there is a product I'd probably use if I had to, split loom flexible plastic conduit. It's like a tube with a split down the side, you pop it around your cords and it would hide and protect them. It would work...but again...time and money involved. I'm happy that I don't seem to need this.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:12 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
I had a male young cat like that a long time ago. He did grow out of it, but I remember I had to really be careful of everything I put out on counters. He would eye it and then poof later on. Smart little fellow I guess.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:07 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The very idea of cord chewing scares the heck out of me. I'm so glad Nimbus has never shown an interest in doing that. We have so many electronics, it would be very time consuming and difficult, possibly quite costly, to make all of the cords cat-safe.

Although there is a product I'd probably use if I had to, split loom flexible plastic conduit. It's like a tube with a split down the side, you pop it around your cords and it would hide and protect them. It would work...but again...time and money involved. I'm happy that I don't seem to need this.
I used conduit until I realized one of my cats liked that, too. I ended up with aluminum foil wrapped cords everywhere - looked ridiculous, but stopped the cat from chewing.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:47 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
We have a problem with neighbor's cats sitting on our patio wall which upsets our indoor cats. To keep our cats away from the problem window I put some sticky tape on a piece of paper by turning under an inch or so of the tape so it adhears to the paper. Leaving the sticky side out discourages our cats from getting too close to the window and the paper can be quickly unclipped from the curtain when we want to change the tape or company comes. It also works to keep them off horizontal surfaces.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 2,790 times
I suggest you re-home her. You obviously won't do well with a cat. Find someone who understands cats and give her to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats