Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 05:13 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
You're making what's called anthropocentric error: You're attributing human characteristics and motivations to something that isn't human. Most cats evolved to be solitary predators; as such, specific social connections aren't as crucial as we're inclined to think.

In evident they do develop a connection with us, but as long as their basic needs of food and shelter are met, it's a connection they make with anyone who provides this. When a dog is taken in by a new owner, it usually takes at least a few weeks for it to get comfortable. With cats, the acceptance of the new owner usually only takes a few days.
Pardon me, but if you really believe that you know very little about cats. As I said, a cat's brain is organized most like a human's of all animals. Especially the center of the brain that controls emotions. You can look it up.

That cats are "stand offish" and "low maintenance" is a fallacy.

Cats become very bonded to their humans, as long as they are treated properly and paid attention to. Sure if you have a cat and ignore him, he won't care much about you. But if you treat a cat like the member of the family he should be treated as, he will grieve deeply at the loss of you. Cats also become deeply bonded to other cats, dogs, and other animals. They can grieve themselves into ill health, sometimes, over losses.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:17 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Let's start with "they aren't people". That much is obviously true, but you're going off the rails as soon as you say this is something many don't understand. The most ardent of cat lovers understands that cats aren't people! What a ridiculous thing to say! Some people may find that they enjoy the company of cats MORE than the company of most people, perhaps. Not everyone enjoys the company of other people very much. But to suggest that any of this translates to equating cats and people is over the top.

Yep.

I have friends...good friends. I do enjoy spending time with them. However, there are SOME people that I really do not like to hang out with...I prefer the company of my cats to spending time with those people. Is that wrong? NOPE! As an adult, I get to choose where my attention and time go, and given the choice, many times I want to spend the night at home on my couch with my cats snuggled in my lap, NOT hanging out with...well, really anyone. I spend all day with people...I like my alone time, too. (well, alone with my cats).

Old 02-06-2015, 06:39 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cats become very bonded to their humans, as long as they are treated properly and paid attention to. Sure if you have a cat and ignore him, he won't care much about you.
This. My cats are spoiled to death, and they seek attention from me all. Day. Long. And for the most part, they don't want food. They want to be petted and played with and talked to. They need at least as much attention as my dogs do. Ignore them all their lives, and of course you'll wind up with an "aloof" cat that doesn't care much about people, having learned that they aren't good for much except providing food.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
You're making what's called anthropocentric error: You're attributing human characteristics and motivations to something that isn't human. Most cats evolved to be solitary predators; as such, specific social connections aren't as crucial as we're inclined to think.

In evident they do develop a connection with us, but as long as their basic needs of food and shelter are met, it's a connection they make with anyone who provides this. When a dog is taken in by a new owner, it usually takes at least a few weeks for it to get comfortable. With cats, the acceptance of the new owner usually only takes a few days.
Now this just looks like an elaborate troll from someone who doesn't like cats. If you had posted this right away it would just be dismissed as the silly dog vs cat BS that it is.

WTF, go find a better way to get your entertainment. Some of us actually care to provide real, helpful info on this forum, and some people can't help but decide that it needs to be their play area instead....

Old 02-06-2015, 08:56 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:

Obviously you've not had much experience with cats. I've seen them grieve over lost buddies as well as humans. They can become depressed, withdraw and not eat. It is heartbreaking and that has nothing to do with anthropomorphizing cats.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:05 PM

48 posts, read 75,134 times
You all think I am bad but, that's why people are so unhappy- they hold on to things that doesn't bring them happiness. Suit yourselves, try to enjoy a depressive life you are holding on to. Also, please don't compare children to cats. Some of you said that you hope I don't have children, this was hilarious to me, what kind of people are out there making this comparison.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:24 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyla30 View Post
You all think I am bad but, that's why people are so unhappy- they hold on to things that doesn't bring them happiness. Suit yourselves, try to enjoy a depressive life you are holding on to. Also, please don't compare children to cats. Some of you said that you hope I don't have children, this was hilarious to me, what kind of people are out there making this comparison.
Well, first of all, cats are not "things". They are pets, living, breathing beings. You do not - well, you might, but most normal, well adjusted people do not - just throw living, breathing, feeling beings away.

Children are family members. Pets are also family members.

I hope you do not have children, since you seem incapable of empathy. I feel sorry for you.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:54 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Pardon me, but if you really believe that you know very little about cats. As I said, a cat's brain is organized most like a human's of all animals. Especially the center of the brain that controls emotions. You can look it up.
If you're so convinced of this, why don't you provide a link to a credible study? Dogs brains and behavior are actually more similar to human than cats are. This makes sense when you consider the evolutionary history and behavior of wild felines and canids.

The overwhelming majority of wild felidae are solitary hunters. They only interact with other cats for purposes of mating and raising offspring (females). While there are a couple exceptions like lions, most cats are solitary. A domestic cats brain indicates this: The structures related to social interaction that are so prominent in humans and to a lesser extent dogs are either absent or rudimentary in domestic cats. It's true many of the same emotion-structures are present in both cats and humans, but this is different than those related to social interaction.

This is a very good book I read several years ago that discussing the evolutionary history and behavioral interaction of domestic cats and humans. Again, I'm not trolling and I'm not saying cats don't deserve to be treated well. I'm just pointing out that it's important to keep in mind that cats are fundamentally different from humans.
Nonfiction Book Review: THE CHARACTER OF CATS: The Origins, Intelligence, Behavior, and Stratagems of Felis silvestris catus by Stephen Budiansky, Author . Viking $24.95 (256p) ISBN 978-0-670-03093-4

Old 02-07-2015, 06:09 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyla30 View Post
One simple question. Why did you start reading in the cat forum in the first place?

Old 02-07-2015, 06:17 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
I think you just want to believe that so you can dump your senior cats without feeling guilt.

Quote:
According to researchers at Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine, the physical structure of the brains of humans and cats are very similar.[14] The human brain and the cat brain both have cerebral cortices[15] with similar lobes.[16]
The number of cortical neurons contained in the brain of the cat is reported to be 763 million.[17] Area 17[18] of the visual cortex was found to contain about 51,400 neurons per mm3.[19][20] Both human and feline brains are gyrencephalic, i.e. they have a surface folding.[21][22]

Cat intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
It appears that surface folding and brain structure matter more than brain size. The brains of cats have a surface folding and structure that is very similar to that of the human brain, about 90 percent similar to be more exact. Morphologically, both cat brains and human brains have cerebral cortices with similar lobes.
Cat Intelligence and Mapping the Feline Brain | petMD

Quote:
People and cats have practically identical sections in the brain that control emotion.
How Does a Cat Brain Compare With a Human Brain?

Quote:
Well, it turns out they do. Nicholas Dodman, an animal behavior chief at the Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine in Boston, found that cats and humans have almost identical brain structures – specifically in the region which controls emotion (Hickman, 2012)
Quote:
Furthermore, Dodman explains, cats’ brains release neurotransmitters in a similar pattern to that of humans when confronted with information from their five senses (2014). Cats also have a short- and long-term memory, and are able to recall information from up to 16 hours in the past, which, is probably better than some humans (Hickman, 2012). As such, it would seem that cats and humans are more similar than one may have initially thought.
Both Humans And Cats Have Identical Brain Regions For Emotion - Psych2go

Last edited by catsmom21; 02-07-2015 at 06:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats