U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 09:11 AM

660 posts, read 353,098 times

Advertisements

I'll be gone for 4 days and have 2 grown kitties staying in the house while I'm gone. A friend will be looking in on them twice during the day while I'm gone, so they're in good hands.

But my question is about home security. The kitties are used to certain windows being uncovered during the day so they can see out from their cat trees by the window. I will have timers for certain lights during the evenings which will turn off at the usual bed time. I don't want to close the curtains/blinds so kitties can see out during the day, but that means they will also be open all night which isn't a good idea for security reasons, especially if some lights are on in the evening and windows uncovered mean easy viewing into the house.

what do you do when you go on vacation concerning open drapes, lights on in the house, etc? btw, this is a one-story house. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 10:18 AM

2,338 posts, read 2,081,731 times
We have a two-story house and also have a friend come in twice per day when we're away. We too use timers for lights. We usually close most of the blinds but leave a few partially open for the cats. You could ask your friend to open and close them in just a room or two if you're concerned.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:21 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,907,508 times
Only you know how safe the area you live in is. It would be a concern if you feel the need to keep all the windows covered.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:32 AM

660 posts, read 353,098 times
The friend lives about 50 miles away, so she can only come by one time on two days for a bit during the day. That won't help with drawing curtains/blinds at night. I guess I'll just leave the two windows next to the two cat trees (one in two different rooms) uncovered and take my chances. If i try to close the curtains or blinds next to their cat trees, in four days they'd find a way to get thru them. Afterall, it's their daytime t.v. But I always close them at dusk for the evening and open back up before I go to work.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:01 AM

4,657 posts, read 7,718,593 times
If the cats want to watch kitty tv, they'll find a way..........all on their own. I guarantee it!

Old 03-06-2015, 08:41 PM

4,750 posts, read 11,372,371 times
I live in an urban neighborhood, on the first floor, and have never thought twice about how visible rooms inside were from the windows. Closing blinds and interior shutters at night is more to bring about a "cozier" feeling. The grrrrlz are indoor/outdoor cats, though, so the situation isn't the same. In any event, a neighbor always drops in on them 1-2 times a day but doesn't do anything with the window coverings. They stay open however long I'm out of town. A timer turns a living-room lamp on and off; so what if no one happens to be there when somebody passes by outside, they could be in another part of the house. There are two things to bear in mind in my case, also, though. One is that I don't have anything of great value (besides some pictures on the walls) in the living room - no TV, no computer, and so on. So even if person(s) scoping out a crime of opportunity happen by, they're not going to pause at my house and say "I've got to have that painting of a blue heron." LOL The other is that there are plants which depend on the sunlight from the front windows.
Methinks the OP is over-thinking this one.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:22 AM

4,213 posts, read 12,567,500 times
BijouBaby - as froglipz wrote, you know your neighborhood best and whether Peeping Toms exist or there's a prevalence of casing-the-joint kinds of nasties. When we're away we don't close the blinds except in our bedroom because they're always open anyway. We have timers on our lights whether we're here or not, and they are all set at different times to go on and off (that is, they don't all go on or go off at the same time) to make it appear that someone is in the house and going from room to room. You could put a radio on a timer for background noise.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:14 PM

4,977 posts, read 4,522,193 times
I would leave the drapes just slightly ajar so that your Kitties can go and 'open' them to look out. I have rigged furniture so that they can jump up to locations (1 window downstairs and 2 windows upstairs) to sit and look outside if they so desire.

I keep these drapes slightly agar in the winter to help conserve energy and they know how to move the curtain to look outside if they want. Summer is a totally different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats