Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 07:50 AM

622 posts, read 526,696 times

Advertisements

A cat sneaked into a shipping container in Alexandria Port, Egypt without being noticed and then endured a 17 day journey covering 3,000 miles without food or water.

The cat was only discovered when staff heard meows coming from the container after it had arrived at its destination.

After the RSPCA was called, the cat was put into quarantine as is usually the case in England after which they hope to find it a new home.

More on the story here: Sinbad the kitten sneaks into Britain after surviving 17-day journey from EGYPT | Daily Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 07:57 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
what a beautiful kitty.

glad he made it!

Thanks for posting that.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:52 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Does not surprise me that the cat made it. Cats are much tougher than most people think and usually find a way to survive.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:50 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
He looks like a sweetheart. Glad he survived.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:44 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
This story, and a few others I've read about, brings a question to my mind. There are a lot of us cat guardians who have come to believe that a cat cannot go very long (a few days or so) without food (& water), or they risk serious medical consequences. Many times on this forum it has been advised that if your cat stops eating, you don't have a lot of time to do something about it.
So assuming this is true for cats in general, how is it possible for theses instances of a trapped cat surviving for an extended period of time with no, or very little, nourishment? Of course there's a difference between a pet that stops eating because of another medical issue that's life threatening, and a healthy cat that becomes trapped without food. The latter would be able to survive much longer, no doubt. But I've read in numerous threads on this forum that (presumably healthy) cats cannot go without food for very long, or risk organ damage/failure. So how are these cats able to survive their ordeal? Is it just a matter of them being a rare exception to the rule, or can cats in general last longer than we think before starvation sets in?

Old 04-03-2015, 03:15 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
It's not possible. Look at that cat. Does he look like he just went 17 days without food or water? No he does not.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:41 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
It's not possible. Look at that cat. Does he look like he just went 17 days without food or water? No he does not.
I didn't click the link before my earlier post, and I agree that the cat doesn't look at all like he's been without food/water for 17 days. I would expect to see a much thinner & more dehydrated cat. But when were the photos taken? Right after the rescue, or sometime later? Might make a difference in his appearance. The more I think about it, the more I'm not sure I buy this story completely.
Whatever the case, the publicity will no doubt get this cat adopted into a good home so it doesn't really matter to me if the story accurate or not. A good outcome for the cat is the important thing.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:56 PM

The kitten was "rescued" on March 25. The story is dated April 2. So the maximum time elapsed is 8 days. I belong to a UK based forum. The Daily Mail is not viewed as a reliable news source. Sort of like our National Enquirer I think.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:24 AM

622 posts, read 526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
The kitten was "rescued" on March 25. The story is dated April 2. So the maximum time elapsed is 8 days. I belong to a UK based forum. The Daily Mail is not viewed as a reliable news source. Sort of like our National Enquirer I think.
You need to read the article I think. It states quite clearly that the container left Alexandria port in Egypt on March 8 and arrived at its destination on March 25. You'll find the data underneath the fifth image from the top. 25 minus 8 = 17.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
You need to read the article I think. It states quite clearly that the container left Alexandria port in Egypt on March 8 and arrived at its destination on March 25. You'll find the data underneath the fifth image from the top. 25 minus 8 = 17.
Yes. My comment you quoted was about the time elapsed between the "rescue" and when the story was published: 8 days.

It is my opinion that cat is much too healthy and filled out to have been without food or water for 17 days. In other words, I do not believe the story. It's not possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats