Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 06:00 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times

Advertisements

I have one cat who eats any and everything and one cat that is picky. I used to really coddle and spoil the picky one but then I realized I wasn't doing either of us any favors so decided to get pretty strict with their feeding. If the picky one didn't eat his food within a reasonable amount of time it got thrown out and he would go without until the next meal. Of course he cried and moaned and threw tantrums but next feeding time you can rest assured he gobbled it down. Now I rarely have problems with him eating anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 06:13 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
I'll try the Blue Buffalo thing next time such expensive food can be afforded but i cringe at paying something like $25 for a 4-6 lb bag.

Funny thing that has been happening is that their food dishes are both on the table, one cat will jump up and begin to eat but then will stop until BOTH dishes are full. The cat will then begin to eat from their dish and then walk over and proceed to eat from that cat's dish until full. later on the next cat will jump up and do the same thing.

Its a random occurrence as to what theyll do; bug me incessantly (usually when im laying or sitting down) or the above (usually when im standing up)

Old 05-13-2015, 06:16 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,688,983 times
Your cats sound like mine. We had to switch to all wet, then we had to cut down on the amount. He was demanding before this, but these milestones outraged him. Eventually though he's gotten use to it. He still has moments but less now.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:44 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I'll try the Blue Buffalo thing next time such expensive food can be afforded but i cringe at paying something like $25 for a 4-6 lb bag.

Funny thing that has been happening is that their food dishes are both on the table, one cat will jump up and begin to eat but then will stop until BOTH dishes are full. The cat will then begin to eat from their dish and then walk over and proceed to eat from that cat's dish until full. later on the next cat will jump up and do the same thing.

Its a random occurrence as to what theyll do; bug me incessantly (usually when im laying or sitting down) or the above (usually when im standing up)
My cat snacks on Blue Buffalo, and I've never paid $25 for a bag unless it was 25-30lbs, which I don't buy. As stated, you can request a $3 coupon from their website, and use that.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:29 AM

Well, we tried (in a sense) the suggestions on here and switched them to canned (Fancy feast) and a better brand dry for them to snack on (IAMS). Wouldve bought the BB but the store we were shopping at the time didnt sell it and we didnt have the gas to drive across town to get a bag.

Anyway, so they share a can in the morning (another at night) and afterwards theyre given a tiny bit of the dry. They seemed to be okay with that starting out but now after a few days it seems they now want the canned and then after they eat the dry they want more of a never-ending supply of food. I give them more dry and they just eat it and a few minutes later jump up clawing and scraping and whatnot at me or the dish for more food. Theyve been fed but its a though they simply want to eat just to eat. Theyre not actually hungry. We end up having to just shoo them away like one would a child hanging out in the kitchen.

Oh, got them toys to play with but theyre afraid of them. Go figure.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
My cat snacks on Blue Buffalo, and I've never paid $25 for a bag unless it was 25-30lbs, which I don't buy. As stated, you can request a $3 coupon from their website, and use that.
Pet food must be dirt cheap in your area. A 4.5 lb bag of BB here will run you $18.99 plus 10% sales tax. 15lb is $32, and the 30lb is $53.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:47 AM

stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp "ALRIGHT I'LL FREAKIN' FEED YOU!"

jump chomp chomp chomp

Old 05-27-2015, 04:13 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
Something obviously has to give, and quickly it seem. I'm reading a book about how to work WITH a cat's world view [instincts, nature, biology etc] to understand and modify their behaviors. It has step by step guides, plus it has [basic] information I had never seen before.

It also tells how to look at the space we have them living in, and how to make it function better for them. A lot of behaviors appear to stem from our not understanding how they navigate the world and that they are hard-wired for certain behaviors (read problem behaviors) and why these behaviors were once essential for their survival.

I had somewhat dismissed this book, based on the cover, pretty women semi-reclining with cats in front of her. My mistake, Mieshelle Nagelschneider is the real deal. Cat Whisperer® Consulting by Cat Behaviorist Mieshelle Nagelschneider

The book is "The Cat Whisper" I got it from the library.

The easiest of her suggestions to implement, until you read the book, is to simply leave the room. Shut a door behind you, and don't return until they have been quiet for three seconds. It worked with my cat, he did get louder initially, but he figured out quickly that the only way back in, was to stop yowling.

An automatic feeder would also take you out the [feeding] picture all together, and it would create a routine that they can count on.

Also play with them, just before [20 minutes?] it's time for the feeder to open, completing the Entire prey sequence, hunting killing then eating.

Of course, all of Mieshelle's techniques will take time to work, 30 days generally. I would/did throw $35 at the problem and called the pet psychic I've had consistent favorable results with: Dr. Agnes Thomas http://www.petstellthetruth.com/ 20 minutes, $35 problems dramatically decreased, immediately.

Besides being effective, Dr. Thomas is inexpensive, as animal communicators go. Most Animal communicators want $100 just to pick up the phone.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
Something obviously has to give, and quickly it seem. I'm reading a book about how to work WITH a cat's world view [instincts, nature, biology etc] to understand and modify their behaviors. It has step by step guides, plus it has [basic] information I had never seen before.

It also tells how to look at the space we have them living in, and how to make it function better for them. A lot of behaviors appear to stem from our not understanding how they navigate the world and that they are hard-wired for certain behaviors (read problem behaviors) and why these behaviors were once essential for their survival.

I had somewhat dismissed this book, based on the cover, pretty women semi-reclining with cats in front of her. My mistake, Mieshelle Nagelschneider is the real deal. Cat Whisperer® Consulting by Cat Behaviorist Mieshelle Nagelschneider

The book is "The Cat Whisper" I got it from the library.

The easiest of her suggestions to implement, until you read the book, is to simply leave the room. Shut a door behind you, and don't return until they have been quiet for three seconds. It worked with my cat, he did get louder initially, but he figured out quickly that the only way back in, was to stop yowling.

An automatic feeder would also take you out the [feeding] picture all together, and it would create a routine that they can count on.

Also play with them, just before [20 minutes?] it's time for the feeder to open, completing the Entire prey sequence, hunting killing then eating.

Of course, all of Mieshelle's techniques will take time to work, 30 days generally. I would/did throw $35 at the problem and called the pet psychic I've had consistent favorable results with: Dr. Agnes Thomas http://www.petstellthetruth.com/ 20 minutes, $35 problems dramatically decreased, immediately.

Besides being effective, Dr. Thomas is inexpensive, as animal communicators go. Most Animal communicators want $100 just to pick up the phone.
We live in a very small house and tbh there are only 2 doors both of which are bedrooms. Plus the cats have learned to reach under the doors and pull them back and forth nonstop creating a racket. As far as the auto-feeder we've thought about that until we saw that one cat will eat a couple bites out of his dish and jump down then another cat will jump up and eat all of her food plus all of his thus causing us to have to give the first cat more food.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:55 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
I would try and find a copy of the book I mentioned, plus any other cat behavior modification books I could get from the library. Something in one of them might have helpful information.

There is probably some [easy enough] way to keep the doors stable when they are closed. I can usually rig up something from odd things around the house, or by browsing the aisles at Home Depot. There may even be something made specifically for that purpose. Probably something "AS SEEN ON TV"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats