Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 08:27 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,568 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm going to be adopting a cat over the next few months from a local shelter.

All of my life, I've had kittens from birth and then have named them accordingly, so names were never a problem.
However, I know that cats at shelters more than likely already have names. I'm more than likely going to adopt an older cat (no kittens for me right now!).

I'd like to change it, but not sure if this may be problematic.

When you've adopted cats in the past, do you usually keep the name given to the cat by the shelter? Or do you change it?

Have you had success with calling the cat by another name?

Is it traumatizing to the cat to change their name (eg start calling it by another name)?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 08:59 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
First of all, kudos to you for adopting an older cat! That makes me happy.

See if the cat you're looking at even responds to his/her name. I know people who don't call their pet by their name that often, so they don't really respond. If that's the case here, no problem changing the name.

You could also choose a name that sounds similar or starts with the same letter, to make the transition easier. For instance, Sandy could become Sophie.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:21 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
I've always renamed my shelter cats.

Sargent became Schubert

Bouncer became Mozart

Beige Kitten #3 became Max

China Doll became Lily

Now, I took in a stray kitty.....who we called Momma. She was called Momma for over a year. She's now in her forever home with my cat sitter who renamed her Floki. She responds to Floki just fine.

My cat Charcoal, aka Charles Oliver Charcoal Cholly..............was a stray I took in. He responds to any word starting with a CHa sound.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
First of all, kudos to you for adopting an older cat! That makes me happy.

See if the cat you're looking at even responds to his/her name. I know people who don't call their pet by their name that often, so they don't really respond. If that's the case here, no problem changing the name.

You could also choose a name that sounds similar or starts with the same letter, to make the transition easier. For instance, Sandy could become Sophie.
aww thanks!

as much as I love kittens, I often think about and feel sorry for the older cats who are sitting in shelters, being adopted. So, I think it would be good for me to get an older cat and give it some tlc.

My last cat, although I had him from when he was a newborn kitten, stayed with us for 1 years before he passed away from a feline stroke.

I can just imagine all of the love that the older cats need, yet they're kept in cages and ignored.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:58 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Didn't you know? Cats respond only when they feel like it, has nothing to do with a name. Unless you use that name at feeding time

Old 05-12-2015, 10:47 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
The shelter called Electra Brenna. At the time we had Brandy and we thought it would be too confusing with Brandy & Brenna. And she was only about 4 months old at the time so we figured it would be ok. Then we got Andy (who's "real" name was Andromeda) so we had Brandy & Andy. That was followed by Elvira-so now we have Electra & Elvira. So would Brandy & "Brenna" be as confusing? lol.

Side note: We got Andy, who was black, from my husband's daughter. When we asked her why she named him Andromeda her answer was, "Because he looked like a galaxy." It was her ex-husband who called him Andy so we did, too.

Cat

Old 05-12-2015, 11:14 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
From my experience, I think a lot of the time a cat will respond more to the tone of your voice more than the actual word/name you use. I'm sure most cat guardians have various nicknames they use as much as the cat's actual name, and they still respond. So again, it's all in how you say it. On top of that you have the cat's infamous 'selective hearing' to contend with, so it may be hard to tell what they recognize more.
Go ahead and rename your new kitty, doubt if it will be a problem. Adding a big to you for adopting an older cat.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
aww thanks!

as much as I love kittens, I often think about and feel sorry for the older cats who are sitting in shelters, being adopted. So, I think it would be good for me to get an older cat and give it some tlc.

My last cat, although I had him from when he was a newborn kitten, stayed with us for 16 years before he passed away from a feline stroke.

I can just imagine all of the love that the older cats need, yet they're kept in cages and ignored.
sorry meant to say we had him for 16 years, not 1!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:38 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Hi all,

I'm going to be adopting a cat over the next few months from a local shelter.

All of my life, I've had kittens from birth and then have named them accordingly, so names were never a problem.
However, I know that cats at shelters more than likely already have names. I'm more than likely going to adopt an older cat (no kittens for me right now!).

I'd like to change it, but not sure if this may be problematic.

When you've adopted cats in the past, do you usually keep the name given to the cat by the shelter? Or do you change it?

Have you had success with calling the cat by another name?

Is it traumatizing to the cat to change their name (eg start calling it by another name)?

thanks

When we got Cailleach from the Shelter they had named her "CeCe" what kind of name is that for a cat.
She was very young though, just old enough to be spayed. She took to her new name very quickly and she does know her name.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:48 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
From my experience, I think a lot of the time a cat will respond more to the tone of your voice more than the actual word/name you use. I'm sure most cat guardians have various nicknames they use as much as the cat's actual name, and they still respond. So again, it's all in how you say it. On top of that you have the cat's infamous 'selective hearing' to contend with, so it may be hard to tell what they recognize more.
Go ahead and rename your new kitty, doubt if it will be a problem. Adding a big to you for adopting an older cat.

I call Electra "Squeak" a lot and she knows it just as she knows "Electra".

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats