Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 11:40 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,988 times

Advertisements

I feel like I'm in the perfect storm with my boycat... he is a former stray, but has been inside-only for 3 years. He has FIV. He is obese (was 16 pounds when I took him in and is about 20 now).) he is long-haired. He gets canned food 2x a day (I move among Avoderm, Wellness Signature Selects and Nature's Recipe little tubs .. in other words, I feel I buy him quality cans) and also dry, usually some type of Blue Buffalo or Wellness. Most of what I get is grain-free but not always. There are 2 other cats in the house and I admit they get cheaper cans!

My boy is also long-haired and tends to get little mats all over. I was cutting them off but now try to pull them apart and brush them out. I have a wire brush and a Kong groomer but have just ordered an "undercoat" wire brush too. He has never been bathed or groomed... I'd like to try the latter but don't have a great recommendation and am concerned about how he'd handle it!

Anyway... lately I have been seeing big flaky dandruff out when I brush/comb him. He's not scratching
and I don't think any of them have fleas or ticks (all are indoor-only cats.) I read one vet's opinion online that if it ain't bothering him it shouldn't bother me, but his coat, particularly on the back and high sides, is very dull. It may be the FIV but just wondering about any advice? I've seen the other threads about fish oil ... I already hide Dulcolax and Miralax in his wet food because he is also an 'early megacolon' cat and I need
to keep things moving... I had him at the vet twice for enemas (a job best left to the professionals!!) and happily the above regimen has worked about 1.5 years and haven't had to take him back... I try to keep an eye on him for any stress in the litter box. So I am not wild about trying to get something else in him but would give it a shot...

I live in the Houston area and it is just about time for 24/7 AC... so maybe the apartment is a little dry.
If I can I open the windows but again that season (literally the window of opportunity!) is short-lived.

Just trying to think of all the info to share... any thoughts welcome! (I have not seen dandruff on the other two; they are also shorthairs.)

THanks!

OH...when I rescued him the vet said he was "between 3 and 5" so now he's between 6 and 8!

Last edited by catfancier; 05-17-2015 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: add age
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 09:46 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,242 times
Stop feeding the dry. The weight issue, dandruff, hair mats, etc... all kibble related.
Cats need moisture IN their food. The worst wet is better than the best dry.
I learned a LOT from this vet, who specializes in feline nutrition: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Old 05-18-2015, 09:36 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,116 times
ITA with eliminating the dry food. It will also help him to lose weight (though given his obesity, I'd work with a vet so he very slowly loses weight in a safe manner).

You can try adding a little bit of oil to his diet to see if it helps, something like coconut oil or olive oil. You could try fish oil too.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:47 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,988 times
Hello,

Thought I'd give an update because it was seemingly quite simple -- I got a new comb for him! I bought
an "undercoat comb" from Petco and it has been an absolute godsend. The first few uses took off
tons of fur... he is almost silky now to pet and the dandruff is hardly noticeable! there's not one matted part on him now. This is my first longhair in 40 years of catmomship and I was slow to the learning curve. I think it is the same concept as those "Furminator" combs for dogs or cats (and at $7, FAR less expensive)... to get the undercoat out. He even
looks thinner .

Thanks for the replies... I do plan to cut down on his dry food and increase the wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats