Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 06:39 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
When I saw this post I had red flags go off in my head, but I'm not really sure there is anything to be concerned about. I recall reading something online some time ago about sudden change in a pet's (or specifically, cat's?) behaviour possibly suggesting a serious illness. I believe it had to do with the pet suddenly spending hours in one spot, where they never used to...however, if I recall correctly, the "red flag" behaviour involved the pet pressing their head up against a wall.

I suspect that your cat has simply found a cozy place to relax and chill out. However, I'd also suggest keeping an eye on him for a few days...maybe give him a close body inspection, watch all of his other behaviours as well (eating and toilet habits, disposition)...just to make sure nothing else is out of the ordinary. If you do notice anything else, I'd suggest a vet check.

(If I can find that article I'll post it.)

Okay, here's a link to what I was talking about:

Take Your Pets To A Vet ASAP If They Do This. Recognizing This Behavior Could Save Their Lives.

I think in your case, if your kitty isn't 'head pressing', he's probably simply "being a cat"...but again, because it's something new that he's doing, just keep an eye on him and watch his behaviours for a few days. Some animals will find a secluded spot to lie in when something has them feeling off.
My thoughts and reaction to the title, almost exactly!

Keep a close eye and if he hasn't had a check up in a while, scehdule one. How old is he? Cats are the masters of hiding illness, and that's why we have to watch for these subtle little changes. Cats do sometimes change up their sleeping spots, it's instinctive behavior, but still..if he's older, or not been to the vet for a while...Might be time for some blood work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 11:10 PM

371 posts, read 1,211,415 times
Thanks for posting about the "head pressing." He's not doing that, but that's something that is good to know in general.

He was a stray and I adopted him as an adult cat, so I'm not sure of his exact age, but the vet estimates he's about six now. She said their eyes look a little cloudier when they reach 8 and his don't look like that yet. He last went about a year ago. He slept in the corner again last night (until it was time to start pestering me for food), but he's spent some more time on the ottoman during the day today. Otherwise he is still acting normal. I spent a couple of hours cooking today and he stood on top of the cabinet "supervising" the whole time as usual. I will continue to keep an eye on him.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:13 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Since we have had our girls their "favorite" spots have changed more than hundreds of times in 2 years for Suze and 3 years for Cailleach.

Cats are just cats and unless he is showing signs of stress he is more than likely fine.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:44 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
harrison21 ... did this switch happen before, on, or after July 4th? For some reason the neighborhood fireworks bothered all my cats more so this year than ever, and they dove for cover (except for the deaf one). One of them chose under a secretary desk, and although she's now back to normal, I see her under there on occasion. My guess is that it's either a new comfy cool place she's discovered and likes or that sounds we can't hear but she can sends her there for safety.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
harrison21 ... did this switch happen before, on, or after July 4th? For some reason the neighborhood fireworks bothered all my cats more so this year than ever, and they dove for cover (except for the deaf one). One of them chose under a secretary desk, and although she's now back to normal, I see her under there on occasion. My guess is that it's either a new comfy cool place she's discovered and likes or that sounds we can't hear but she can sends her there for safety.
Just a couple of days ago, so well after the 4th. He was actually sitting in the window watching the fireworks when there were some in my neighborhood...seemed quite content. He does the same when it storms.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:04 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison21 View Post
Just a couple of days ago, so well after the 4th. He was actually sitting in the window watching the fireworks when there were some in my neighborhood...seemed quite content. He does the same when it storms.
Laughing! Wish my cats (and dog) would enjoy them instead of scattering!

Well, then, fireworks isn't a factor.

Cats are complex (I know we already all know that). Other posters have given great suggestions. The only other thing I can think of is fleas. Although all my pets are on flea prevention, it doesn't stop the fleas from arriving and trying to make them home. My dog "tells" me when they arrive by moving to a different resting spot - obviously he links his usual sleeping spaces to uncomfortable crawly things on him.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:50 AM

275 posts, read 396,857 times
Quote:
My cat has started spending a large portion of the day sitting in the corner of my living room, behind some furniture. We've lived here for two years and I've never seen him in that spot, yet for the last several days he has spent hours there. It seems to be his go to spot for sleeping. He usually sleeps on top of the ottoman any time I'm in the living room and now he's moved to this spot instead. He also usually sleeps in my bed at night and last night he went back to that same spot instead. His other behavior is totally normal- no changes in appetite or bathroom habits, litter looks fine, still interested in being held, playing, running around, sitting in the window, etc. There have been no changes to the environment or anything like that. Has he simply just chosen a new "favorite spot" after two years? I'm just a little worried because I know increased "hiding" behavior can be a sign of illness, but he doesn't seem sick otherwise, and it's not like he's spending more time sleeping- just change of locations. Any explanations for this?
This suddenly began happening with a cat that my brother had. I figured out that the other cat in the house was attacking her when my brother wasn't around. She had found what she seemed to feel was a "safe" spot.

I ended up taking the poor kitty home with me.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:06 AM

Well, I don't know what happened, but he seems to be "over" the new spot. He hasn't sat there at all in two days and is back to his usual places. Weird!

Old 07-20-2015, 10:40 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Quote:
Well, I don't know what happened, but he seems to be "over" the new spot. He hasn't sat there at all in two days and is back to his usual places. Weird!
Glad he's back to normal. I wonder if he was hearing something moving behind the wall (hopefully not!).

Old 07-20-2015, 01:20 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,081 times
Quote:
Must have been just messin' with you! My cat does this as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats