Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 06:54 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times

Advertisements

Thanks Catsmom. I didn't think so, that's why I asked. Yes, we have the Purebites, but he won't eat them either. Maybe we could reconstitute them in water instead of the deli meat?

Boy, I can sure see why they call cats finicky. This lil' guy is something else.

Or, maybe wife and me can just eat more turkey and buy a breast every couple of weeks, cook it ourselves, and have enough to keep him going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 07:06 PM

912 posts, read 914,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
We have a male cat that only laps up the syrup from a can of wet cat food. He refuses to eat the actual food. So I'm always having to strain the liquid into his dish, while the female will eat the solid wet food. I'm worried he is not getting enough nutrition. He does drink water, but his strange habit still has me concerned.
Any takes on this, any ideas as to how to supplement his diet?
Is this a trick question? Feed him solid food.

He's not getting enough nutrition. If solid is too crunchy for him, add water to soften the kibbles a bit before he eats.

If he won't eat that, try plain boiled chicken (no seasoning) and plain boiled white rice (no seasoning) -- what they feed sick pets. If he won't eat that, take him to the vet.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:32 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
He doesn't eat kibble at all UserName. He's a syrup-sucker, and I'm trying to get him to eat more wet/solid food. Perhaps I said that wrong, using the word solid?
No kibbles.

He's of good weight, and I can tell when holding/observing him, it is solid muscle, but we still worry.
We add a product called Vibactra to his diet daily, so we think he's alright. But nothing wrong with looking for improvement.

I don't think you read the last few posts?

Thank you.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:06 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
I'm not certain, having only dealt with a fussy dog, who I finally boiled chicken for, all that he would eat. Spoiled I know.
The cats ate anything. Talk to your vet.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:00 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Is this a trick question? Feed him solid food.

He's not getting enough nutrition. If solid is too crunchy for him, add water to soften the kibbles a bit before he eats.

If he won't eat that, try plain boiled chicken (no seasoning) and plain boiled white rice (no seasoning) -- what they feed sick pets. If he won't eat that, take him to the vet.
Informed cat owners know that kibble is not an appropriate diet for cats. The OP wants his cats eating a better diet, which means a wet diet.

OP Another incentive I recommend is Vets-Best hairball relief. Again, just a light dusting.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:12 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Informed cat owners know that kibble is not an appropriate diet for cats. The OP wants his cats eating a better diet, which means a wet diet.

OP Another incentive I recommend is Vets-Best hairball relief. Again, just a light dusting.
and realistic cat owners know that ALL cats do NOT eat or like wet food and it is something that some humans should accept and quit harping on.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:46 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
and realistic cat owners know that ALL cats do NOT eat or like wet food and it is something that some humans should accept and quit harping on.
This thread is about transitioning a cat to wet food, and the OP has asked for help.

ANY cat can be transitioned. For some, as TerraDown has discovered, it takes effort. From my point of view, the end results are worth expending a little time and energy on getting a cat to eat a better diet.

Addictions of any kind can be difficult to overcome. But they can be, including kibble addiction.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:15 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
This thread is about transitioning a cat to wet food, and the OP has asked for help.

ANY cat can be transitioned. For some, as TerraDown has discovered, it takes effort. From my point of view, the end results are worth expending a little time and energy on getting a cat to eat a better diet.

Addictions of any kind can be difficult to overcome. But they can be, including kibble addiction.
Actually no, this thread isn't about transitioning a cat to wet food. The OPs cat wasn't being fed kibble (and therefore had no need to transition from kibble, since he wasn't getting it in the first place). He was eating only the gravy from the wet food, and was rejecting the food itself. That's why some people suggested dry food. Because dry food is better than no food, and this cat was rejecting the canned food and only lapping the gravy from it.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:22 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:

No it isn't and No they can't but I am not going to waste time explaining again how ALL cats are not the same whether you like it or not.

Edited to add: with your logic every human would like every food as well because YOU like it, guess what, not true. I hate mushrooms and no matter how many different ways and how many times you offer them to me, I still hate mushrooms and will not eat them.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:49 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Mine is the same way- won't touch canned food, except for the liquid.
My solution: I feed her dry cat food.

Lol, you sound like my husband.

After having only wet food-eating cats, we ended up with one addicted to the crack (yes, we know it's sprayed with digest). I tried all the straight from the "obligate carnivore" script: mixing the two, gradually introducing, warming, sprinkling [insert substance here], to no avail. Not that I didn't know any of those things beforehand.

Anyway, DH finally said just let him eat. So I did. Don't let the turkeys get you down and lay a guilt trip on you about how any cat can be transitioned and that, well, you're just plain lazy. Cat owners need not have given birth to () cats in order to provide them with a happy, healthy, and safe home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats