U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 12:37 AM

9,676 posts, read 15,852,351 times

Advertisements

Does anyone make their own cat food?

I have 3 older cats 2 male, 8 & 10 years old, and a female, about 7 years old.

Seems nothing I feed them agrees with them. I've tried all the big name brands, for sensitive stomach, hairballs, older cat, etc, etc.......seems they will be ok for awhile, then start yakking up stuff. Look, I've had cats all my life, I know what a hairball looks like. They *** up at least 1-2/week, despite my grooming them, petmalt, pumpkin, plenty of water....still, they *** it up!

We feed them Blue Buffalo dry for sensitive stomach, but I see kibble sometimes in the ***. But my dh keeps buying that pruina Fancy Feast. today I found 3 barfs---not hairballs---that had the same color as the cat food, a funny red. Its red dye---yeech!

But, even when I try the better canned foods, they still *** it up. I'm thinking of making my own cat food. We have one of those Montel Williams Healthmaster blender things---got it as a Christmas gift from BIL, never used it, perhaps it could make up some cat food? After all, if its good enough for Montel, its good enough for my cats!

So, anyone have any good cat food recipies, that have all the right stuff, like protein, vitamins, minerals, moisture, etc, etc that can be made in a blender? Can't be any worse than it is right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 07:16 AM

4,211 posts, read 12,554,404 times
There are quite a few forum members who do feed "homemade" food and swear by raw diets. Make sure you check back soon!

In the meantime, look at the cans' ingredients (ditch the dry kibble). Things that are not digestible are vegetable fibers, grains (including rice), and glutens. Many cats send these ingredients out the other end, but perhaps yours are sending them out in the direction they came in instead.

Also in the meantime, perhaps reduce the amount of food per meal and feed them more often (so that over the day they do get the amount required but in smaller quantities). Some cats don't realize they've stuffed their tummies and keep on eating, so the stomach sends the extra back out.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:40 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,072,390 times
This website is excellent and has tons of information on raw food and making your own. The link goes to her "Making cat food" section. She does not use a blender but a meat grinder instead.

Making Cat Food by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: homemade cat food, cat food recipes

I feed raw but opt to buy commercially prepared diets. I rotate brands and type of protein.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:58 AM

9,676 posts, read 15,852,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
This website is excellent and has tons of information on raw food and making your own. The link goes to her "Making cat food" section. She does not use a blender but a meat grinder instead.

Making Cat Food by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: homemade cat food, cat food recipes

I feed raw but opt to buy commercially prepared diets. I rotate brands and type of protein.
My mother had one of those meat grinders, which I "inherited". You have to clamp it onto a table or surface, and have a strong arm! Mom sure did! Maybe I can get dh to do the grinding....

Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

Old 10-24-2015, 07:54 AM

6 posts, read 8,246 times
I have been feeding my cats a raw home prepared diet for almost 2 years. The results are great! No vomiting, diarrhea, healthy coat, less smelly litter box and hopefully less health problems down the road.

It's not difficult just requires such research and planning. I share my entire experience, recopies, step-by-step, equipment, etc. on my blog, I was intimidated at first but its much easier than I originally thought. It is also much less expensive than high quality commercial pet foods.

Basically buy meat (muscle, bone and organs) grind it using a manual meat grinder, add eggs, water and important supplements. Freeze and serve. But you must get the proportions correct for it to be balanced. This is very important. Just feeding a chicken breast or ground beef will not work. It must be balanced so your cat will get the necessary vitamins needed to live and thrive.

Raw Cat Food - Here I share my entire process.

Good luck! I'm here if you have any questions :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or