Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 03:57 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times

Advertisements

My girl Gypsy is a snuggler & ace lap-cat, but whenever she's in my lap or laying next to me, she has to also physically touch some part of me with all 4 paws, and she will move into whatever position necessary and extend her legs to accomplish that. She also likes to extend her front claws into my skin to remind me not to move and spoil her 'quality time' with Dad.

Misty has developed the habit (in recent years) of following me the bathroom and, while sitting by the door, proceed to meow loudly & constantly at me until I finish my business. As soon as I'm done, she shuts up and goes away. The only other time she uses that tone of voice with me is when she wants to hear a can open.

Angel is a big girl in the 11 lb range, and has never been much of a lap-cat. But once in a while she will climb up in the chair with me, and proceed to cross my lap from one chair arm to the other, back & forth, again and again and again.... sometimes a dozen times or more. Maybe she'll finally lay down in my lap, and maybe she won't. It's like she can't decide if I'll make a suitable bed or not.

Sheba (my youngest at 10 yrs old) insists on head-butting everything and everyone. When she's in an affectionate mood that big floofy tail goes up & swishes madly side to side and the head bonks start. She actually bumps cabinets & walls hard enough to make a noise sometimes, and I worry she's going to give herself a concussion or knock herself out. Invariably the head-butting will end with her rolling over on her back exposing her Tummy Minefield and giving me that "go on... you know you want to" look. I know better than to fall for it (she does not allow belly touching), but I keep doing it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 01:26 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
My oldest cat insists on sleeping with me like she's a stuffed teddy bear. BUT, there's a ritual that must be done every. single. night.

Once I'm comfy, I have to hold up one side of the blanket, and if I do not say "tunnel", she will just sit there until I say it. Once I say "tunnel", she will then proceed to go inside the blanket tunnel, turn around, stare at me for a minute or two, and only then will she work her way up to my arms, plop on her side, and sleep with me...like a teddy bear.

She's 16. I hope I have at least a few more years because I'm going to miss this cat so dang much, it won't ever be the same without her.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:04 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
ShadowCat is a big girl. She sleeps on the rim of the bath tub, all four legs hanging over the side. Looks like one of the pillow pets

Old 10-17-2015, 12:48 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
I think I mentioned this before. When I am sitting in the living room watching t.v. and Josette comes close to me, I reach out to pick her up and she runs. But if I stretch my foot out, she rubs it and walks under it back and forth. But, when we are in bed, she will come up and is all over us. But, the funniest thing she does is she tries to nurse. We use fleece sheets year round. In the summer, we just use the sheets. I think it is the fuzziness of the sheets that makes her think of her mama. So, she will try to nurse from me-not from....well, you know, but from my side just lower then my armpit. Sometimes if I am on my side, she will try to nurse from my back. I like it when she does that because not only is she trying to nurse, she is also giving me a massage.

She is now a year & a half so, I'm wondering how long she will try to do that. And for the record, she left her mama at 10 weeks.

Elvira's most unusual habit is after my husband is done reading the morning paper, he put his reading glasses down and heads upstairs to the office. Then Elvira goes over to his glasses and starts licking the temples of his glasses. I guess she really likes him.

She used to bathe her toys in her water dish but doesn't do that anymore. Too bad, it was pretty funny. She also used to roll around in my husband's dirty clothes. Like I said, I think she likes my husband-at least she likes his smell.

Electra's most unusual habit is probably her vocalization. I say, "Squeak" to her and she does. We travel a lot so when we are gone for an extended period of time, she goes on and on and on when we get home. One time, she wouldn't shut up for 3 days straight! Sometimes she will be sleeping and then all of a sudden, she will say, "MEOW!!" and pretty much wake herself up. Is she having a nightmare?

Cat

Old 10-17-2015, 07:28 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
When I pet Cookie to the point where she starts purring, she'll curl up in a ball next to me and suck on her back left toes while kneading the couch or bed in front of her. Not the right foot, it must be the left. If she's lying so that her right foot is on top, she'll turn around until she gets it right. She will purr and suck and knead for 20 or 30 minutes if she's uninterrupted by me or her brother.

Checkers likes to chew on the carpeting. And when he sees a bug on the wall that's too high for him to reach, he'll meow at me, hoping I'll pick him up so he can get the bug.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:55 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I think I mentioned this before. When I am sitting in the living room watching t.v. and Josette comes close to me, I reach out to pick her up and she runs. But if I stretch my foot out, she rubs it and walks under it back and forth. But, when we are in bed, she will come up and is all over us. But, the funniest thing she does is she tries to nurse. We use fleece sheets year round. In the summer, we just use the sheets. I think it is the fuzziness of the sheets that makes her think of her mama. So, she will try to nurse from me-not from....well, you know, but from my side just lower then my armpit. Sometimes if I am on my side, she will try to nurse from my back. I like it when she does that because not only is she trying to nurse, she is also giving me a massage.

She is now a year & a half so, I'm wondering how long she will try to do that. And for the record, she left her mama at 10 weeks.

Elvira's most unusual habit is after my husband is done reading the morning paper, he put his reading glasses down and heads upstairs to the office. Then Elvira goes over to his glasses and starts licking the temples of his glasses. I guess she really likes him.

She used to bathe her toys in her water dish but doesn't do that anymore. Too bad, it was pretty funny. She also used to roll around in my husband's dirty clothes. Like I said, I think she likes my husband-at least she likes his smell.

Electra's most unusual habit is probably her vocalization. I say, "Squeak" to her and she does. We travel a lot so when we are gone for an extended period of time, she goes on and on and on when we get home. One time, she wouldn't shut up for 3 days straight! Sometimes she will be sleeping and then all of a sudden, she will say, "MEOW!!" and pretty much wake herself up. Is she having a nightmare?

Cat
My girl Sheba & her brother Bucky (RB) were also weaned early and did the same thing... nursing & kneading on my clothes whenever they were in my lap. Both stopped the nursing thing at about the 3 to 4 yr old range, but not the obsessive kneading. Sheba still does that when in my lap, and she's 10 now. I hope she never stops.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:35 PM

13 posts, read 9,969 times
Here's one that isn't "super" strange, but part of it makes it hilarious to me.

My Scarface was born on my couch. We raised him and his three siblings. One day, when they were weaning off milk to real food, I was in the living room and heard this weird "sktch sktch sktch" noise behind me. "sktch sktch sktch" ... "sktch" ... "sktch sktch sktch"

OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU BABIES DOING?????

I turned around to look over the couch and... they were pawing at the tile floor, "burying" the food bowl. Of course nothing was actually being buried, because there was no dirt, but they were pretend-burying their food. All four of them, little tiny paws, "sktchsktchsktch!" It was the most hilarious and bizarre thing I had ever seen. (Apparently, it's an instinct similar to covering their waste - they don't want predators to track them to a fresh kill. Their mommy did it, too.)

Now, he has this one blanket. I don't know what it is about this blanket, but he burrows under it. This isn't strange in and of itself, I know many kitties burrow, except that there is only one blanket he will burrow under and it is this specific blanket. No others. This blanket kept getting messed up, and we couldn't figure out how... until I came home one day to this: http://tinyurl.com/of6srvm Ready? http://tinyurl.com/qxkkp3r

I thought maybe it was the isolation, since he seemed to always do it when no one was around... but then... http://tinyurl.com/ouxrcee Piled up between me and daddy.

We have four other blankets/quilts in the house, and he will NOT go under them, and he will even attack them if he happens to be on the furniture we're draping them over. But this blanket is his, I suppose?

Old 11-03-2015, 09:29 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
One of my passed on cats had a strange habit of letting me know when he was in need of attention.

He would go and find his brush and carry it over to me. Implication obvious.

I really miss him.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:33 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxRiddle View Post
Here's one that isn't "super" strange, but part of it makes it hilarious to me.

My Scarface was born on my couch. We raised him and his three siblings. One day, when they were weaning off milk to real food, I was in the living room and heard this weird "sktch sktch sktch" noise behind me. "sktch sktch sktch" ... "sktch" ... "sktch sktch sktch"

OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU BABIES DOING?????

I turned around to look over the couch and... they were pawing at the tile floor, "burying" the food bowl. Of course nothing was actually being buried, because there was no dirt, but they were pretend-burying their food. All four of them, little tiny paws, "sktchsktchsktch!" It was the most hilarious and bizarre thing I had ever seen. (Apparently, it's an instinct similar to covering their waste - they don't want predators to track them to a fresh kill. Their mommy did it, too.)

Now, he has this one blanket. I don't know what it is about this blanket, but he burrows under it. This isn't strange in and of itself, I know many kitties burrow, except that there is only one blanket he will burrow under and it is this specific blanket. No others. This blanket kept getting messed up, and we couldn't figure out how... until I came home one day to this: http://tinyurl.com/of6srvm Ready? http://tinyurl.com/qxkkp3r

I thought maybe it was the isolation, since he seemed to always do it when no one was around... but then... http://tinyurl.com/ouxrcee Piled up between me and daddy.

We have four other blankets/quilts in the house, and he will NOT go under them, and he will even attack them if he happens to be on the furniture we're draping them over. But this blanket is his, I suppose?

We have a blanket just like that-with the exception of not having a cat under it.

Cat

Old 11-03-2015, 10:55 AM

318 posts, read 372,707 times
My guy's cats are cute
Runty kitty- little black and white with mitten feets. will "Bow WOWWW" with toy mice in her mouth, she fetches and returns them. He'll play with her like a kitten still and she's 16. on her back in his arms he does tummy tickles and she's pop her arms out and then "attack" the hand. game is over when she rights herself. Bedtime she's hilarious, she'll chew on your hands for pets. that's when she wants pets. (she's super gentle)

Tortoiseshell- she's crotchety, but nice. Was his mom's cat she rehomed due to her hating the poodle puppies she got. I'm too active for her but if you're the type to sit and lounge she's in love. lots of purring, and cranky sounding moews. When he carries her upstairs for bedtime she sounds EVIL- hissing, growling etc, and promptly curls up on him and PURRS like an engine.

My girls,
Momma cat (was my mom's girl, till the stress of her house caused severe pee problems)- fluffy white odd eye. deaf, super cute little raspy meow. ALSO has a huge "Bow-Wowww" voice if she has a toy in her mouth. Will stalk you and want you to "chaise" her around a wall.

Angie (recently passed, momma's baby)- green eyed white and fluffy. She was my angel. super playful, cuddly. She owned me. She'd chatter at me, if she wanted something she would show me exactly what it was. Post moved? upstairs for cuddles, or playtime? Ruled the roost gently. loved fetching toys, and was the household greeter. would booger my face. paw in face if she wanted attention. We were inseparable. I could go on forever on how goofy, smart and awesome she was.

Last edited by SweetLittleWing; 11-03-2015 at 11:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats