U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 07:51 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,629,814 times

Advertisements

I don't know how common--or uncommon--this is, but my cat was always nice to me. She never hissed, never bit, never scratched, never got mad at all. I could wake her from a sound sleep (accidentally, of course) and she would make that little "Oh, hello!" closed mouth chirp, and wait for me to pet her. If I would hold her, and she moved as if she wanted down, but I didn't let her, she would just decide "Oh, he doesn't want to put me down yet." and get comfortable again. (an example of when I'd do this, is when I'd stand in the open front door to let cool, fresh air in the house, before I got a screen door)

She was very territorial though, and would scream and yell at any other cat that approached the window she was sitting in.

Another thing that I think was unusual, was her "whisper-meow." It was a real meow, but without any voice, just breath. I don't remember all of the circumstances of when she'd do this type of meow, but it happened most often when she was a little unsure of the situation she was in, (e.g. when my friend came to visit, Kiddo wasn't too sure about her, so she "whisper-meowed" at her) or when she was close to me, and didn't want to go all-out with a real meow. (she had no problem talking to me when she was on the floor, but wouldn't make a peep, if I was holding her. She whisper-meowed only when she was sitting on my lap, not when I was holding her.)

One last little thing she did: If she was frustrated, because she couldn't figure out how to get something she wanted, (like something was just out of reach) she would make a quick outward sniff, sort of like a snort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 06:32 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,919,839 times
Deuxdad purrs louder than any other time when she comes in to visit me while I'm sitting on the toilet. She weaves in and out between my legs and purrs like crazy.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:20 PM

318 posts, read 246,884 times
Quote:
Deuxdad purrs louder than any other time when she comes in to visit me while I'm sitting on the toilet. She weaves in and out between my legs and purrs like crazy.
This is pretty funny, she likes having a captive audience!

Old 11-12-2015, 01:38 PM

8,417 posts, read 5,758,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
My ladycat Angel does the same thing. She claimed possession of the bathroom years ago, and she takes her snoopervisor's role very seriously. I can barely recall the last time I was allowed to do my business in private. I'm just grateful she's not one of those 'water cats', and I'm able to shower without 'help'.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:57 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,919,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
My ladycat Angel does the same thing. She claimed possession of the bathroom years ago, and she takes her snoopervisor's role very seriously. I can barely recall the last time I was allowed to do my business in private. I'm just grateful she's not one of those 'water cats', and I'm able to shower without 'help'.
If I leave the door open while showering she comes in and sits on the little built-in corner seat at the back wall of the shower. She sits there cocking her head at me and swats at water droplets.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:32 PM

8,417 posts, read 5,758,900 times
Quote:
If I leave the door open while showering she comes in and sits on the little built-in corner seat at the back wall of the shower. She sits there cocking her head at me and swats at water droplets.
As with most cats, she's probably trying to figure out why we humans insist on taking off all our fur, and purposely getting wet every day. I'm sure it must seem quite odd to them.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:17 PM

4,711 posts, read 3,156,401 times
Quote:

My Josette does the same thing. If it is just my husband & I at home, I leave the door open. If I am in the downstairs bathroom and she is in the foyer, she will come running to me like she hasn't seen me is 3 years. But, if I am sitting in my recliner in the living room and just reach out for her, she will run. That cat is SOOOOO MENTAL!!!!

Cat

Old 11-12-2015, 04:27 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,426,741 times
My little boy has discovered that batting ice cubes around the kitchen floor is a terrific pastime. Whenever he hears the through-the-door ice dispenser, he comes running and sits right at the fridge waiting for his.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:35 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,861,782 times
Had a cat once that insisted on meowing loudly for 'permission' to rejoin us in bed after taking a nighttime snack (or poop) break. He couldn't just jump up on the bed and quietly retake his spot - he'd stand beside the bed and yowl until someone acknowledged him. Bugged the hell outta me.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:54 PM

4,751 posts, read 6,492,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Had a cat once that insisted on meowing loudly for 'permission' to rejoin us in bed after taking a nighttime snack (or poop) break. He couldn't just jump up on the bed and quietly retake his spot - he'd stand beside the bed and yowl until someone acknowledged him. Bugged the hell outta me.
My elderly cat does this exact thing. Just this afternoon, he woke up from his nap, had his lunch, went to use the litter box, then came back in and screetched at me until I picked him up and put him on the bed.

And despite having arthritis, he is perfectly capable of jumping up on the bed or the couch.

But he prefers to use the "kitty elevator" as I call it (me) to put him on the bed. When I am not here, he seems to have no trouble just getting up on it when he wants!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or