Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 04:06 PM

698 posts, read 2,841,613 times

Advertisements

We have several neighborhood cats around our subdivision. Most are well behaved and don't cause much trouble but one is extremely aggressive with hunting and stalks the birds and chipmunks in our backyard. He has killed several already.

Our children told us he does have a home and owner but that he's "mostly an outdoor cat." I have to assume he's hungry. We usually frighten him away with loud noise but of course this only works when we catch him near the feeder. He will stand right below the feeder and look like he will jump up and grab a bird as it is eating. So very brazen.

Do you have any suggestions for deterring this cat? We have no desire to cause him harm, just want him to mind his manners like the other neighborhood cats.

I thought about confronting the owner but my DH says if this is an outdoor cat that nothing will change.

Any ideas you have are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 05:36 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
We have several neighborhood cats around our subdivision. Most are well behaved and don't cause much trouble but one is extremely aggressive with hunting and stalks the birds and chipmunks in our backyard. He has killed several already.

Our children told us he does have a home and owner but that he's "mostly an outdoor cat." I have to assume he's hungry. We usually frighten him away with loud noise but of course this only works when we catch him near the feeder. He will stand right below the feeder and look like he will jump up and grab a bird as it is eating. So very brazen.

Do you have any suggestions for deterring this cat? We have no desire to cause him harm, just want him to mind his manners like the other neighborhood cats.

I thought about confronting the owner but my DH says if this is an outdoor cat that nothing will change.

Any ideas you have are appreciated!
Raise the height of the feeder. After all, his behavior is what cats do. It is in their DNA to hunt.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:37 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
That's not going to help. Birds land on the ground, in shrubs, etc. I don't allow my cats to roam outside, for their own protection, but also because of this. At our old house, a neighbor's cat was doing the same thing. I talked to them, to no avail. I would try talking to the cat's owner, although it probably won't do any good. It's very callous to dismiss it as a cat's DNA as if it isn't an issue.
A water pistol might help if you're around enough, or a sprinkler with a motion detector. This doesn't sound like a cat that's easily deterred, but it's worth a try. Good luck. If you're losing too many birds to this cat, the best thing to do is take the feeder down, sadly. That was finally my solution. We've moved since then, and my feeder is back. I really missed it!
One last thought, the cat isn't necessarily all that hungry. The hunting instinct is stronger in some cats than others, which would account for him bothering the birds more.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:40 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,351 times
The owners do not care. How about taking him to an animal shelter or humane society by calling first and explaining the situation maybe they will loan a trap.
They are not feeding him or giving him a warm home to come into therefore it is not their pet. Strays lead stressful, miserable lives, do not be fooled. Plus the baby-making factor. Adopt him or get him off the streets.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:44 PM

579 posts, read 522,149 times
Bell the cat. Or...

Set a system of bells under the feeder to alert the birds. Or...

Move the feeder and raise it. Or...

Motion detection sprinkler, that will drive the cat away for good.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Raise the height of the feeder. After all, his behavior is what cats do. It is in their DNA to hunt.
It's a very tall shepherd's hook now and not sure how I would raise it. I can't figure out this cat's M.O. because there are times that he will just lounge around watching the birds placidly and other times he is stalking to kill. He can jump over the neighbor's 6' fence with something in his mouth so a very adept hunter, yes, but also hungry?

I have considered trapping him, taking him to be neutered and then feeding him outside but it would be easier to deter him, if only I could.

He appears to be a well cared for pet and not a stray, a long coat with no mats or knots, bright eyes, etc. But I just don't know his situation in reality, just what I see from brief glimpses.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
The owners do not care. How about taking him to an animal shelter or humane society by calling first and explaining the situation maybe they will loan a trap.
They are not feeding him or giving him a warm home to come into therefore it is not their pet. Strays lead stressful, miserable lives, do not be fooled. Plus the baby-making factor. Adopt him or get him off the streets.
I agree completely! We are cat lovers and work very hard to keep ours inside at all times. May be looking into obtaining a trap.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
Bell the cat. Or...

Set a system of bells under the feeder to alert the birds. Or...

Move the feeder and raise it. Or...

Motion detection sprinkler, that will drive the cat away for good.
My DH came up behind him one day with a pot and lid and banged them like it was New Year's eve. He ran for the hills. No cat I know of would return to this place after that unless he is very motivated by hunger.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:35 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,565 times
Cats do not have to be hungry to hunt. They will hunt with full bellies. The owner may have cared for his cat, but some have a different idea that cats can only be happy outside or happier for the owner who doesn't have to worry about litterboxes and destroyed furniture.

If that cat has been hunting native birds in your area, especially those on the protected list, your complaint to animal control and wildlife officers should get that neighbor to wake up and keep his cat in a catio or indoors. You could try to confront him but I find most people stays hard headed until they get slapped with citations.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
Cats do not have to be hungry to hunt. They will hunt with full bellies. The owner may have cared for his cat, but some have a different idea that cats can only be happy outside or happier for the owner who doesn't have to worry about litterboxes and destroyed furniture.

If that cat has been hunting native birds in your area, especially those on the protected list, your complaint to animal control and wildlife officers should get that neighbor to wake up and keep his cat in a catio or indoors.

You could try to confront him but I find most people stays hard headed until they get slapped with citations.
I think that's accurate. I have some friends in another state who keep cats mainly because they catch mice. They are unpaid employees, is what it seems like.

Have you ever had success calling animal control etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats