U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2015, 10:39 AM

6,307 posts, read 7,407,600 times

Advertisements

So, I brought my orange guys in for their last round of "kitten shots" yesterday morning.

For the rest of the day yesterday, they were fine. There was a little bit of "sleeping it off", but otherwise, they were their usual crazy selves.

This morning, I went to pick up my little boy for his morning cuddle and he started meowing, like he was uncomfortable. When I put him down, he walked a couple of steps into the kitchen and just sat there- when I went to touch him, he flinched. My first thought was to look around the kitchen and utility room, to see if they had gotten into anything overnight. All looked normal, so I fed them. He moved a little slower than usual to his bowl, but definitely ate. Ok, good sign...

When he came back out, he immediately went to lie on the blanket in their habitat in the living room. I thought, "ok, good sign, he's not trying to hide somewhere". But still, "off" for him.

One of my dogs came over to him with his ball, trying to get him to play. Usually, the kitten will try to chase the ball when my dog drops it, but he just looked at it, as it rolled by him. "Ok", I thought, "at least he's alert".

While trying not to disturb him too much, I poked and prodded a bit to see what might be hurting him physically. I got to his back left leg and, while it was not swollen, unduly hot (or anything like that), the muscle quivered as I touched it, and he started meowing as I did. I called the vet to confirm- and yes, he did get one of his shots in his left hip yesterday.

I've owned cats all my life and I can't remember a time when one was so sore after a shot. Of course, I can see how this could happen, and honestly I'm just relieved that this is probably the issue. With that being said, aside from time, is there anything else I can do for him? (The vet said that if it doesn't clear up in the next 2 days or so, to bring him in.)

He's sleeping comfortably now, and is probably quite happy that I've gotten past the stage of waking him up every 15 minutes to make sure he's still alert (and alive).

Thanks in advance for any info.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 12:00 PM

318 posts, read 245,182 times
They used to administer them in the fleshy part between the shoulder blades. Less painful for the cat perhaps? But, as you see it's no longer done -there's good reasons why the back legs are now used.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:54 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,025,648 times
When our youngest cat had a booster (distemper combo) this year at age 1, he had the same kind of reaction. He cried out and was hiding, not wanting to eat, and even had a fever.

We had to bring our guy in for fluids and pain medication. (I will not vaccinate him again--it was too scary.)

Please ask your vet to report your cat's reaction to the manufacturer. Make sure your kitty keeps eating.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:40 PM

He spent most of the day on the blanket in their habitat. He seemed to like when I put a heating pad on low under the blanket.

He's up and about now, but definitely moving very gingerly. He's not eager to have me touch him, which I understand.

Fortunately, he's eating and has been up to use the litter box at least once. I'll keep monitoring it, and if he doesn't seem to be on the mend, we'll take him in.

It was the FELV vaccine- don't know if it was the vaccine or just a bad poke?

Old 11-10-2015, 04:58 PM

6,106 posts, read 12,481,285 times
Are they going to be outdoor cats then? There is no need for an indoor cat to have the FeLV vaccine. And now he's had a reaction don't ever let him have it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
When our youngest cat had a booster (distemper combo) this year at age 1, he had the same kind of reaction. He cried out and was hiding, not wanting to eat, and even had a fever.

We had to bring our guy in for fluids and pain medication. (I will not vaccinate him again--it was too scary.)

Please ask your vet to report your cat's reaction to the manufacturer. Make sure your kitty keeps eating.
^^ All of this

Old 11-10-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Are they going to be outdoor cats then? There is no need for an indoor cat to have the FeLV vaccine. And now he's had a reaction don't ever let him have it again.
No, they're going to be indoor cats.

This was the second shot though, he was fine with the first one last month. Not that I would consider the shot again, just wondering if this is a "shot" thing or just a case of him having been poked in the wrong place.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post

This was the second shot though, he was fine with the first one last month. Not that I would consider the shot again, just wondering if this is a "shot" thing or just a case of him having been poked in the wrong place.
IME it was a reaction to the vaccine. Ringo had the full set of kitten shots and was fine, but had the reaction I described above for the booster at age one. The kind of reaction you're describing wouldn't be that extreme if it was a sore muscle.

I hope he's better today.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post

I hope he's better today.
Yes, he is better today- like nothing happened.

I'll definitely let the vet know the next time I am in.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:10 AM

12,847 posts, read 15,308,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post

It's "a shot thing".
Animals and humans have reactions...some very very severe.
Like a previous poster said....don't vaccinate your lil sweetheart again.
He'll be a healthier happy cat.

Guaranteed when you "let the vet know", he/she will tell you it's nothing to worry about (common)....as they descend on poor kitty with another one.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:02 PM

[quote=purehuman;41917855
Guaranteed when you "let the vet know", he/she will tell you it's nothing to worry about (common)....as they descend on poor kitty with another one.[/QUOTE]

This is so true. When our Benny was a tot, he had a reaction to a vaccine (he was my then-boyfriend/now husband's cat at the time). A year later, the vet suggested another vaccine and Benny ended up in the ER getting treatment!

I moved in not long after this--we switched vets and NO MORE vaccines for him ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats