U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 05:33 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,048,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Yeah the Purrfect Fence system is like what I have. Once I move it to my new place, I'll let you know how it works. It's true that cats won't jump over something that extends over their heads, according to Jackson Galaxy anyway!
Thanks. My outdoor cat will jump on a fence that is a few feet high. Not over it but on top of it. While it can keep dogs out, it won't prevent her from leaving the yard.

Let us know how this new fence works out for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 06:13 AM

4,209 posts, read 12,501,790 times
WILWRadio ... first, it's awesomely great that you're considering your younger kitty's welfare rather than just making a move from one kind of habitat to another without thinking it through ... too many folks never contemplate such things.

Second ... the move could easily be the way to turn your outdoor cat into an indoor one. If she's been enjoying the woods, then she's been hunting, and an urban setting won't give her that at all, not even in any kind of outdoor "confinement" (invisible fence, fenced enclosure). So, perhaps the best thing to do for her safety and emotional well-being is to change her lifestyle. Since you already have an indoor cat you know it's not horrid.

Perhaps down the road you could bump out a window to create a cat perch OR build some sort of catio if you'd like to give both your kitties some fresh air.

A little bit of a soapbox here, but outdoor cats do kill more than a billion birds every year. The estimates range from 1 billion to 3.7 billion - it's impossible to know an exact number, but documented killings (documented by Audubon, wildlife management, and other entities) are definitely over 1 billion (that is a 1 followed by 9 zeros.) What this says is that anyone who lets his/her cat roam outside because the cat likes it, prefers it, should think about this. Our cats don't always bring us the gifts from their hunts, so it's impossible to know what the cats have been up to. Off soapbox.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:45 PM

mawipafl. Yes, she kills birds which I don't like. Mice are fine but birds is another matter. Worse still she likes to bring them home and leave them at the door or try to bring them into the home. No thanks.

I've never heard of the cat perch concept. Would only have limited appeal since hot summer days I would want to run AC and would have to leave the window shut. In turn, on days like that and usually when it is over 89 degrees, I keep her inside the house.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:25 AM

A "cat perch" is really a garden window such as this example ...

Some have side windows that open while others don't. So, you would be able to run the AC without cooling the outdoors or on nice days let fresh air flow.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:34 AM

315 posts, read 162,537 times
[quote=mawipafl;41990770]

A little bit of a soapbox here, but outdoor cats do kill more than a billion birds every year. The estimates range from 1 billion to 3.7 billion - it's impossible to know an exact number, but documented killings (documented by Audubon, wildlife management, and other entities) are definitely over 1 billion (that is a 1 followed by 9 zeros.) What this says is that anyone who lets his/her cat roam outside because the cat likes it, prefers it, should think about this. Our cats don't always bring us the gifts from their hunts, so it's impossible to know what the cats have been up to. Off soapbox.

That is a myth. When will people realize that the "documented" killings are false overblown propaganda. The more people believe this garbage the worse it is for these cats especially ferals and that do not deserve it. Please educate yourself about the truth and how cats are scapegoats.

You can start here:

Since Jekyll Island is a popular stopover for many migrating tropical birds, wildlife biologist Sonia Hernandez at the University of Georgia wanted to see whether the island’s feral cats were preying on birds.
Unexpectedly, birds were not at the top of the menu—their diet mostly consisted of large insects and frogs.
FROM NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC
Island's Feral Cats Kill Surprisingly Few Birds, Video Shows

Peter Wolfe has a lot of information on the propaganda against cats:
About » Vox Felina – Feral/free-roaming cats and trap-neuter-return/TNR: critiquing the opposition

Old 11-20-2015, 07:00 AM

senecat - before becoming accusatory of my alleged perpetuation of propaganda and myth, while Hernandez and Wolf may be "good science" in your opinion, it's improper to make sweeping judgments of that "science" without looking more thoroughly at the studies. Hernandez's is anecdotal and has no empirical data included. As well, the sampling was small and specific to one particular location. So, while it may be true that Jekyll Island ferals eat more frogs and bugs than birds, Hernandez does not offer any other hypotheses for why this may occur at that location; therefore, her observations cannot and have not been expanded to other locations to concur with her findings.

Neither Hernandez nor Wolf state that cats don't eat birds. Any entity that declares that outdoor cats are the #1 killer of birds is sensationalizing. But the truth is - not myth, not propaganda - cats do kill wildlife including birds.

If you had fully read Hernandez, and perhaps you did but chose not to include it in your accusation, quoting her ...

"I love cats. I do not like them free-roaming in the environment because I also love wildlife. This is not an issue with the cats, it's a people problem. "

"Cats are essential predators, which means they hunt and kill prey even if they’re not looking for food. Our ongoing analyses show that 59 percent of cats in the feral colony hunt. That means that even well-cared-[for] cats kill wildlife. For the pet cats we analyzed, about 70 percent didn’t consume their prey. "

"Cats can be enjoyed indoors, in outdoor enclosures, or on a leash and under supervision. Many people have found ways to allow their cats outdoors without allowing them to kill wildlife. For cats that are already outdoors or impossible to pen/leash, there are many devices... that prevent or at least severely hinder how a cat hunts. Bells, however, don't work. "

Does this scientist sound like she thinks outdoor cats are A-Okay and that it's all mythical propaganda??

Old 11-20-2015, 04:25 PM

315 posts, read 162,537 times
[quote=mawipafl;42003852]

Neither Hernandez nor Wolf state that cats don't eat birds. cats do kill wildlife including birds.

Of course they kill some birds and some wildlife they are supposed to, they are cats after all, just not the outrageous numbers that are thrown around like they are fact. If they kill 4 billion birds in the US every year like the "studies" report and there are only 10 to 20 billion birds in the US eventually there would be no birds left in the US I don't care if they propagate it still does not add up.

"I love cats. I do not like them free-roaming in the environment because I also love wildlife. This is not an issue with the cats, it's a people problem. "

What wildlife are we talking about here? The "studies" had earthworms included as wildlife and there seems to be plenty of earthworms.

Windows are the number one killer of birds so why aren't more people pushing for bird safe windows? The habitat of birds that is mowed down by progress is certainly a determent to birds also. It is so much easier to blame the poor lowly cat that cannot fight back and doesn't have lobbyists like the big conglomerates that need more land do.

I always wonder why some people I know claim to love cats yet believe the nonsense that because some cats are outdoors that they are causing all this havoc and they are forever ruining the environment and they never ever question the studies. Once they see the in depth look at the studies they wonder why they believed them at all. Just think junk science....there seems to be plenty of earthworms and bugs.

The Society For The Protection Of Birds UK agrees that cats are unlikely to have any major impact on birds finally some truth how refreshing is that?

Old 11-20-2015, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. May look into the Cat Window thing if I move into the current home that I own but presently don't occupy. If I purchase elsewhere I will look for a more cat friendly environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats