U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 6,373 times

Advertisements

Hello, My cat is 11 years old and had a rotten tooth so I asked my parents to take her to the vet (that I normally trusted) for her consultancy, the cat had had antibiotic medication just in case the tooth needed to be extracted. My parents let her do a surgery on our cat where she loosens the gum of the tooth and pull the tooth out without the cat on anesthesia. My cat is extremely calm and throughout the hour she was on operation she didnt even scratch the vet or even meowed. I trust that it was a wrong decision to make as Im sure it hurt bad but the vet claimed she wasnt under stress after I called her and asked why she went on such a procedure. She injected her with a strong antibiotic and painkiller and let them go. Will my cat recover? Should I ask for more painkillers? Might she have an open wound in her mouth? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 07:25 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,861,047 times
All good questions to ask a vet IMO. Doesn't have to be her if you don't trust her.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:50 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,293,463 times
I am pretty surprised the vet did this and frankly, I would not go back to that vet. Perhaps your cat's kidney function isn't as good as the vet felt comfortable with, and the vet was worried kitty wouldn't tolerate the surgery. But if that was the case, you should have been referred to someone else. I have had some elderly, frail, kidney-function-decreased cats have surgery, and they always had anesthesia. Too much risk of the cat thrashing around and getting injured without anesthesia. I'm assuming a large enough dose of pain medicine and/or local anesthetic kept her pain-free throughout the procedure. At least I am hoping that is the case.

Your kitty should recover just fine, but definitely check with another vet if you are worried. Sometimes a tooth falls out on its own, and the cat won't need stitches. The wound closes over by itself. Kitty is on antibiotics, too, which should help. Keep an eye on the area, check it daily and if kitty's breath starts to smell bad, get her to a vet asap.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:02 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,044,110 times
Oh my word! I've too have never heard of this. Having had a lot of dental work myself and been in extreme pain, I am sure it caused your cat some pain too! ITA with Lori's comment above in not using this vet again.

How is your cat doing? Is she eating ok, drinking, maintaining her usual routine? She may indeed need a day or two of additional pain killers.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:30 AM

747 posts, read 1,206,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I am pretty surprised the vet did this and frankly, I would not go back to that vet. Perhaps your cat's kidney function isn't as good as the vet felt comfortable with, and the vet was worried kitty wouldn't tolerate the surgery. But if that was the case, you should have been referred to someone else. I have had some elderly, frail, kidney-function-decreased cats have surgery, and they always had anesthesia. Too much risk of the cat thrashing around and getting injured without anesthesia. I'm assuming a large enough dose of pain medicine and/or local anesthetic kept her pain-free throughout the procedure. At least I am hoping that is the case.

Your kitty should recover just fine, but definitely check with another vet if you are worried. Sometimes a tooth falls out on its own, and the cat won't need stitches. The wound closes over by itself. Kitty is on antibiotics, too, which should help. Keep an eye on the area, check it daily and if kitty's breath starts to smell bad, get her to a vet asap.
Having watched lots of dental cleanings on cats, I can't for the life of me imagine a cat staying still and allowing an exam/cleaning/tooth extraction while being awake and alert. Is it possible the vet used a sedative or local anesthetic of some sort? The clinic where I used to work used a ketamine cocktail for some of the cats. It knocked them out but was not "traditional" anesthesia that required a tracheal tube.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:12 AM

Hello everyone, thanks for all your replies. The vet said she "sprayed" some local anesthetics on the tooth, how you ever heard of such a thing? I doubt that it helped at all. I dont live with our cat, my mother said that she ate normally the morning after the operation and that she acts normal too. I guess it would be best for me to go and check on her myself. Do you have an idea on how many days it would take for the gum to recover? What should I expect to see? I couldnt reach a trustworthy vet yet, I'll ask them too. In the meanwhile your experiences might be a reference on what to think about the recovery. Thanks again..

Old 11-24-2015, 12:25 PM

2,302 posts, read 2,044,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idilita View Post
Hello everyone, thanks for all your replies. The vet said she "sprayed" some local anesthetics on the tooth, how you ever heard of such a thing? I doubt that it helped at all. I dont live with our cat, my mother said that she ate normally the morning after the operation and that she acts normal too. I guess it would be best for me to go and check on her myself. Do you have an idea on how many days it would take for the gum to recover? What should I expect to see? I couldnt reach a trustworthy vet yet, I'll ask them too. In the meanwhile your experiences might be a reference on what to think about the recovery. Thanks again..
Our youngest cat had two small teeth removed. I honestly could not see any difference in where they were. If your cat had a larger tooth removed and you know what part of the mouth it was (upper or lower, and which side), you may see a gap or some swelling where the tooth was.

You want to check for unusual swelling, excessive bleeding, abcesses, basically anything that could signal an infection or problem. The mouth generally heals pretty quickly so within a few days things should look normal.

Of course, monitor her eating and overall demeanor. If she stops eating, becomes lethargic or starting "hiding" call a vet right away.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:37 PM

8,407 posts, read 5,753,198 times
Quote:
That's a good sign she's probably going to be ok, and if everything's alright she should heal in a few days. As others have said, check her mouth for redness or a bad odor which would be a sign of infection. But that's not likely to happen if she's been on antibiotics.

As far as not using anesthetics for the procedure... if that vet can't give you a good medical reason for not using it, then I suggest you find a different vet. Might be wise to do it anyway.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:46 PM

Thank you all very much! I'll check for anything unusual as described. By the way, the same vet gave me a kitten saying she had parasites and fleas but that under medication they had all died. Though, its only been a week since I adopted her and already it seems her tummy is getting unsually bigger. The little cat is only 2 months old and she's extremly playful and lively though now that I dont trust the vets practices, Im not sure if this belly is normal either ! Her hips and chest are so thin, as well as her legs and face according to her tummy but I havent seen any parasites in her poo. Would you happen to have any experience about this?

Old 11-24-2015, 01:57 PM

1,007 posts, read 862,619 times
Quote:
The vet said she "sprayed" some local anesthetics on the tooth, how you ever heard of such a thing?
My dentist did this when filling my tooth. Actually it was a gel, rather than a spray. It worked really well. I didn't feel anything and even told them they could skip the re-application. I've never heard of this done in cats. Maybe the tooth was so rotten, it was easily extracted. I had a cat with a very loose tooth (he was about 8 or 9) and I took him to the vet and the vet brought him in the back for 5 minutes, pulled the tooth, and gave me my cat back. I was a little shocked, but the cat was awake and fine and lived 6 more years. He didn't have any recovery time.

I have a female cat who had 3 teeth extracted earlier this year (with anesthesia). Her recovery time was less than a day.

I think you need to call the vet and get the specifics.

That said, I am glad your cat is eating and feeling better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or