Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:45 PM

218 posts, read 753,811 times

Advertisements

Please tell everyone you know who has a cat that DRY food is the culprit to too many of these ailments and is harmful-- people are basically killing their cats on it. Cats should be eating wet meat. Not cereal.

Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi
YourDiabeticCat.com - Helping and Preventing Feline Diabetes
Hopefully only consult a Holistic vet regarding food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 07:55 PM

355 posts, read 2,397,755 times
An auto feeder! I had been thinking about that before & you just reminded me--that is a great idea!!

And yes, I have one of those laser things & he loves it, too! I really do need to spend more time with him with that. It is so funny to watch him go crazy!

And I have to disagree with the dry food comment. Wet food is how most cats are overweight in the first place, is it not? My baby is almost 6 years old, I don't think I could start introducing him to that now--wouldn't that do more harm than good?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:06 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,974,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-CO View Post
And I have to disagree with the dry food comment.
My older cat had an obstructed urethra about 3 years ago. 1200 dollars and some catheters up his woo-hoo later, I feed both of my boys only Purina One low pH dry food. Of course, I could buy the wet food from my vet, but I personally like to eat as well.

They've not had an issue with it, whatsoever.

But, even without this issue, all of the cats that I've had in my life have pretty much been sustained on dry food. (Whether it's theirs or the dog's.) "Surprisingly", they've all lived to ripe old ages.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:26 AM

241 posts, read 1,174,795 times
He's just eating too fast. My girlfriends dog scarfs down his food and pukes everywhere... everyday... ughhh.

Just feed him more often, cutting his daily intake of food into more smaller servings.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:52 AM

214 posts, read 268,435 times
I have 30 years experience in cat rescue. Most of the time if a cat throws up immediately after eating, it is because of rapidly gorging on the food. Given the fact that you have another cat that he is competing with, consider the possibility that this is playing a factor in your cat’s vomiting. However, if the vomiting seems to be unrelated to eating, there may be other things to consider.
In general, cats will vomit either from a metabolic disorder or from a gastrointestinal disorder. Your veterinarian should run bloodwork to rule out such metabolic disorders as kidney disease or hyperthyroidism. If a metabolic disorder is not the cause, then your vet should consider a gastrointestinal disorder, such as a food allergy, food hypersensitivity, and inflammatory bowel disease.
Discuss with your veterinarian trying different diets, for example, prescription diets that are designed to be bland and not irritating to the gastrointestinal system (such as Hill’s Prescription Diet I/D, or Eukanuba Low-Residue formula). If this doesn’t alleviate the problem, a feeding trial using a hypoallergenic diet with a novel protein source such as rabbit, venison, or duck, may be warranted to rule out food allergy.
If the vomiting persists, further diagnostics such as ultrasound and/or endoscopy may be necessary to get to the bottom of your cat’s problem.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:45 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,003,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskarain View Post
Discuss with your veterinarian trying different diets, for example, prescription diets that are designed to be bland and not irritating to the gastrointestinal system (such as Hill’s Prescription Diet I/D, or Eukanuba Low-Residue formula).
One of our cats had this issue and our vet said that it could be the feline equivelant to esophageal reflux. She did some blood work to rule out some other possibilities and then prescribed the Low-Residue food. He's been on it for almost a year now, and is doing great. He looks healthier (his coat isn't dull anymore and he's regained lost weight). Although once in a while he may throw up, it's not nearly as often. The food seems to be working really well for him. Of course we have to feed him seperately now... we have 3 cats, and at $20 for a 5.5 lb bag it would be way to expensive to have everyone on it (especially if they don't all need it).

Old 02-08-2008, 07:46 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,198,469 times
Gracie often thows up when friends are over . I realized that this is because she eats her food fast when there are outsiders around just in case one of them might be tempted to steal some of those delicious tidbits.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-09-2008, 09:43 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,003,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-CO View Post
An auto feeder! I had been thinking about that before & you just reminded me--that is a great idea!!
They actually have auto-feeders for wet or dry food. When we first got Tweak, he had an issue w/one of his teeth and could only eat wet food. We were going away for a weekend and found the automatic feeder for wet food. There's a little ice pack that fits underneath, and you set it for twice a day. It worked pretty well.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:42 PM

355 posts, read 2,397,755 times
Where did you get yours? I think that may be a good idea--I just don't want it to dispense out a lot of food at one time. Are there ones out there that you can set the measurements on, too? Or is that the kind you are talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
They actually have auto-feeders for wet or dry food. When we first got Tweak, he had an issue w/one of his teeth and could only eat wet food. We were going away for a weekend and found the automatic feeder for wet food. There's a little ice pack that fits underneath, and you set it for twice a day. It worked pretty well.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:42 AM

1 posts, read 10,567 times
Anyone has a trick to help pass hairballs rapidly? Does it help if I give my cat a teaspoon of oil? It doesn't look like the hairball remedy help at all and he doesn't like it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats