Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 05:22 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The OP has stated that Callie cannot be pilled.
It really irks me when people like her don't read the whole thread, don't keep up, then be rude and hateful in replying. They haven't a clue what it's all about but have to get their 2 cents in.

When the Amat' is gone I'm going to see if a compound with Prozac can be made up in cream form. After that, from what I see, there will be nothing left to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I'm back, because obviously you didn't read my last post. Prozac cream can then be used, but the OP thinks Callie will develop resistance to that as well.
Why bother coming back just to be nasty? She has already developed RESISTANCE to us putting the cream in her ear. The cream with Prozac, if I can get that here, will not make her more tolerant to the treatment.

You don't even know what you're talking about so just skip this thread.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:08 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
I am NOT being nasty; I'm frustrated that you seem to be incapable of effectively treating your cat's medical condition, and instead are making excuses for it. I've treated many of the 13 cats I've had for various illnesses, and the cats have all lived to pretty good ages - the last three lived to be 19, 18, and 17.5 years old. Believe me, there were instances when treating them was difficult. Of course they resisted certain things - no cat enjoys having pills inserted in their mouths or even cream rubbed on their ears. However, I'm their human caregiver and it's my RESPONSIBILITY to ensure their good health. And after having a cat that pee'd for 2 years successfully treated with Prozac (by ME), I most certainly DO know what I'm talking about.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:35 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
She has already developed RESISTANCE to us putting the cream in her ear. The cream with Prozac, if I can get that here, will not make her more tolerant to the treatment.
Actually, if the Prozac cream is effective, it might. If she's feeling less stressed and more mellow, she might not mind having her ear rubbed so much. (Of course, there are no guarantees when it comes to animals!)

Has Callie always been a "hands-off' sort of cat, or is this resistance to being touched a new behavior for her?

Old 12-20-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Actually, if the Prozac cream is effective, it might. If she's feeling less stressed and more mellow, she might not mind having her ear rubbed so much. (Of course, there are no guarantees when it comes to animals!)
I'm well aware of that. These medications don't even always work for people.

Quote:
Has Callie always been a "hands-off' sort of cat, or is this resistance to being touched a new behavior for her?
No. It started with giving her the antibiotics for the URI a few months ago. Each time we had to pill her she became more resistant, fought harder and started to find places to hide where she would stay for hours. When she'd come out she would avoid us like the plague. By that last antibiotic pill she was getting almost hysterical.

Then when I had to start the Prozac she would become hysterical. Totally out of control. Scruffing her didn't stop the spitting up and foaming and salivating, eyes almost popping and hysteria. Scruffing doesn't necessarily work with all cats. I called the vet (we were still in TN) and we decided this was WORSE than no treatment at all. Much worse as she came to dread pilling and would lose control of herself increasing any stress or angst she was already dealing with. And to add to that we would have to search for her and then drag her out of her hiding places, destroying any feeling of safety and security she had. So what the heck good would the Prozac have done her when we had to go through this just to get it into her?

When we got to FL (for the winter) we had her records sent to the vet here. He consulted with the vet in TN and decided to use the Amatrip' instead of Prozac in her ear cream. But it's had no effect so far. The only difference we can see is she seems to be sleeping more, is less active. But she never was active once she left kittenhood behind. That adds to her obesity. She will not play with anything. She's even grown bored with the red-dot. The new kitten Aidan is the only thing that gets her to move. She plays a little with him and they chase each other around the RV and outdoor Catio. But both vets feel we have to get her urinating all over under control before starting to see about her obesity. She will not eat when separated from the other cats and that's part of the problem.....

Old 12-20-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I am NOT being nasty; I'm frustrated that you seem to be incapable of effectively treating your cat's medical condition, and instead are making excuses for it....
Too lazy to keep up with the thread, you still have no idea what you're talking about. You've offered nothing useful - just criticism.

Also, your SELF PRAISE STINKS!
Please choose another thread to involve yourself with.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:13 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Wow - nice response. BTW, I've read this entire thread, and there's nothing wrong with my reading comprehension. I've made several suggestions regarding the Prozac cream, or alternatives to having the large capsules prescribed, all of which you've negated. You've made your mind up. I wish you and Callie good luck - she'll need it.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Wow - nice response. BTW, I've read this entire thread, and there's nothing wrong with my reading comprehension.....
Now you're being dishonest as well as rude. If you read the thread you would know we're going to see if a Prozac cream can be made for her.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:45 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I would like to meet someone who actually had one of these meds work after a cat peed 5 or 6 months everywhere in the house. Expensive Feliway (total waste of money) was supposed to work and does nothing but suffocate the inhabitants since windows must be kept closed to keep it from escaping/diluting. Neither of us can see any effect on any of the cats from the Feliway.

No, that isn't possible. These RV lots are only so big. And even if we had the space, what happens when we get back home to TN with half the rooms having wall-to-wall carpeting?
Prozac in pill form works for this problem. My sister's cat (3 yrs old) urinated everywhere - hardwood floors had to be replaced - you name it. Mary used to call me constantly with yet another peeing incident. It would take forever to describe her problems with Chaos here, but suffice to say, he was horrible.

Desperate, Mary found a well-regarded veterinarian who put Chaos on Prozac. Chaos stopped peeing within a week. It is worth a try. I know how frustrated and angry my sister was with the behavior. It cost her several thousand dollars to have parts of her floors replaced (urine went all the way through). She has 3 other cats who are angels!

All the best to you.

PS - Feliway did not work for any of my three kitties. It was a complete waste of money.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:58 AM

836 posts, read 3,381,427 times
I duno why but this post is very confusing and all over the place sorry. I have tried to read it like 5 times and just can't, I must have missed an original post somewhere since this is an update on your treatments..PLease don't give me backlash for this!

From what I've read your cat developed URI- Upper Respiratory Infection a few months ago August?, and after giving her meds in a pill form she started peeing everywhere? And you moved from a home to an RV? Is this cat spayed? If not she should be asap, cats that arent spayed/neutered will spray all over your home. Also URI can mess up their kidneys if they get too sick and stressed doesn't help much either. Maybe see another vet for second or third opinion. Doesn't say if you seen a different vet.
Why are you giving her pills instead of liquid form meds? Giving Pills can stress a cat out tremendously!!!
Why are we giving this cat prozac to begin with?.. I maybe didn't read that part I duno.

Feliway will not work on all cats and it will not work if you don't get rid of the pee smell in the home.. Once a cat pees somewhere and it isn't cleaned well they will continue to pee there.

Last edited by wolfeyes; 12-21-2015 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats