Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 12:20 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,308,831 times

Advertisements

So, I have cat (roughly 2 years old) that will randomly pee in front of the litter box. The litter box is ALWAYS kept fresh and clean. She doesn't do it all the time, she does it in "spurts". For example, 6 months will go by with no problems, then randomly she'll pee right in front of the litter box a few times for a week or so and then goes back to normal.

I've tried to figure out why, but have had no luck. Any idea what's going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 12:56 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,274,094 times
First question- are you being consistent with the type/brand of litter you are using. Changing litter (because of bargains or availability) can cause problems.

Second, and most important question- has she been checked for urinary tract infections? If she's having mild UTI's that go away on there own, that might explain the randomness of the problem. I would take her to the vet as soon as she starts it again. Rule out anything medical, and go from there.

Third question- any periodic changes in household routine, other pets coming & going, human interactions such as arguing or rowdy children? Sometimes these things can cause stress-related litter box issues.

And finally- is she declawed? I hope the answer is no, but if she is, that could be the reason if she's having periodic pain in her paws and scratching in the litter is uncomfortable for her.

First thing I would do is get her checked out by your vet.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:37 PM

318 posts, read 370,893 times
catdad7x covered it brilliantly.

Vet #1 just to see if anything medical flares to cause this issue.

Cats are finicky creatures, they can seem perfectly fine putting up with things that they actually dislike, but too many of those things in conjunction can cause stress related issues we see (like missing the box).

Like, switching the litter to brand b on it's own is fine. but not when you reorganized the area around the box as well, or kitty spotted that jerk neighbor cat out the window. It's like one little feather added to her "stress pile" is the one thing that gets her saying - not today!

Old 01-02-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
First question- are you being consistent with the type/brand of litter you are using. Changing litter (because of bargains or availability) can cause problems.

Second, and most important question- has she been checked for urinary tract infections? If she's having mild UTI's that go away on there own, that might explain the randomness of the problem. I would take her to the vet as soon as she starts it again. Rule out anything medical, and go from there.

Third question- any periodic changes in household routine, other pets coming & going, human interactions such as arguing or rowdy children? Sometimes these things can cause stress-related litter box issues.

And finally- is she declawed? I hope the answer is no, but if she is, that could be the reason if she's having periodic pain in her paws and scratching in the litter is uncomfortable for her.

First thing I would do is get her checked out by your vet.

I took her to the vet a awhile back once the issue started because I was reading she could have some issues, and she was perfectly healthy and good!

No periodic changes. It's just my wife and I with no other pets, and we do not get into arguments that lead to "loudness" or anything like that. And no children.

And lastly (i'll knock out 2 questions in this segment), I've always used the same litter(scoop away clumping litter), and she is NOT declawed, I don't believe in doing that.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:17 PM

11,217 posts, read 19,406,007 times
Is the litter scented? (just in case)

I would suggest you start watching for a pattern. Make a note of when (including time of day, weather, anything you can think of) this happens to see if the timing is consistent. If you find some consistency in interval you can start watching closely for anything that may be causing stress at that interval at time.

Even if there is no regular time intervals between episodes, the other things you are noting down may begin to show some pattern.

Something is certainly bothering her and you are very wise to be looking for it.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Is the litter scented? (just in case)

I would suggest you start watching for a pattern. Make a note of when (including time of day, weather, anything you can think of) this happens to see if the timing is consistent. If you find some consistency in interval you can start watching closely for anything that may be causing stress at that interval at time.

Even if there is no regular time intervals between episodes, the other things you are noting down may begin to show some pattern.

Something is certainly bothering her and you are very wise to be looking for it.
The litter is un-scented (I read that some scented litter can be too strong of a smell).

I've been trying to stay on-top of it and figure out why she does it, but no luck yet. I'll get to the bottom of it eventually!

Old 01-02-2016, 03:36 PM

41,777 posts, read 74,795,954 times
My male cat tends to miss the box. It doesn't matter how big the box is; he is unaware of where his butt is, apparently.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My male cat tends to miss the box. It doesn't matter how big the box is; he is unaware of where his butt is, apparently.
This gave me a chuckle. Maybe that's the root of the problem for my cat too (I doubt it, she's a small cat) but you never know

Old 01-02-2016, 03:44 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,274,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I took her to the vet a awhile back once the issue started because I was reading she could have some issues, and she was perfectly healthy and good!

No periodic changes. It's just my wife and I with no other pets, and we do not get into arguments that lead to "loudness" or anything like that. And no children.

And lastly (i'll knock out 2 questions in this segment), I've always used the same litter(scoop away clumping litter), and she is NOT declawed, I don't believe in doing that.
Wasn't trying to be judgmental or anything like that, but declawed cats often have litter box issues, so I had to ask. Glad yours isn't.

One thing I forgot to ask- is your litter box covered? Some cats don't like them (mine don't), and if so, you might remove the cover & see if it helps.

Also, though it's probably not an issue for your young cat, if your litter box is high sided she might not like climbing in & out of it. One of my boxes is high sided, and only one of my 3 cats like to use it... but they're seniors so it's understandable.

Really just guessing here, as you seem to have a perfect environment for your cat. Please keep us updated if you find a solution, and I hope you can.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:00 PM

11,217 posts, read 19,406,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
The litter is un-scented (I read that some scented litter can be too strong of a smell).

I've been trying to stay on-top of it and figure out why she does it, but no luck yet. I'll get to the bottom of it eventually!

Keep a written record. It's the only way to look back and find any possible patterns or triggers. Human memory is faulty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats