Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 08:07 PM

391 posts, read 985,852 times

Advertisements

My cat went out Sat. morning and then it started to snow with blizzard conditions. He has not come back and I am worried about him with 16 deg night time temps and no food. The snow is now approx. 30" deep. I am wondering what his chances are to survive this. I really miss my cat and keep looking and calling for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 09:59 PM

3,950 posts, read 4,186,049 times
Oh, I am sorry to hear this! I hope he is OK. Is he used to going out, or did he slip out?

My ferals hide during snowstorms, but they are somewhat accustomed to the cold and all kinds of weather conditions. They don't even like to use the igloo doghouses I have out there for them when it starts snowing heavily. I think they hunker down (under my shed sometimes). I often don't see them for 2 days after the storm ends and then the come strolling by, looking for food.

I will keep your kitty in my thoughts.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:30 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,544,809 times
Ummmm.....you should already have had your coat and boots on and had your butt out there looking for him. He is probably lost, could be totally disoriented and is clueless on how to maneuver in that much snow. I can only hope that he is hunkered down under a tree or a deck or something that gave him some sort of shelter, but at a minimum he will be very cold and hungry. How could you possibly have waited so long to go looking for him, and why did you let him out with a blizzard coming?

His chances were not good to start with, and unless somebody else found him and took him into their home - they are not getting better while you're inside typing on the computer. What were you thinking??????

Old 01-24-2016, 10:59 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,930,023 times
Now that it has stopped snowing...and the wind has died down...........

Look for any kitty footprints in the snow.

I'd be shaking a box of treats loudly and calling his name.

Check under vehicles........sometimes they'll climb up into the engine compartments.

I'd make a flyer and pass them out to all the neighbors.

Call the shelters, etc.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:03 PM

121 posts, read 118,273 times
Default always worrysome

What the chances are, no one knows. But, cats are survivors, and good at taking care of themselves. Even house cats aren't too far removed from being feral, and those instincts kick in. If he's accustomed to going outside anyway, he knows his way around and where to go, so good chance he's held up somewhere. Or, someone took him in as many would do under such conditions. I'd start checking at the local shelter. Good luck, and I hope he's safe.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:22 AM

391 posts, read 985,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Ummmm.....you should already have had your coat and boots on and had your butt out there looking for him. He is probably lost, could be totally disoriented and is clueless on how to maneuver in that much snow. I can only hope that he is hunkered down under a tree or a deck or something that gave him some sort of shelter, but at a minimum he will be very cold and hungry. How could you possibly have waited so long to go looking for him, and why did you let him out with a blizzard coming?

His chances were not good to start with, and unless somebody else found him and took him into their home - they are not getting better while you're inside typing on the computer. What were you thinking??????

That was a nasty reply. I am almost 79 years old......can hardly get my shoes on let alone boots. I walk with a cane. Get your facts before you start bad-mouthing a person. I'm sad enough because I can't go look for him and then you have to post such an inconsiderate response.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:32 AM

4,289 posts, read 3,986,143 times
Well every one say cat has 9 lives. But snow storm ... I doubt in case if stuck under snow. But they are keen enough quiet possible that bit lost the way back due to snow.... But lets hope that your kitty will be back soon. Please do let us know that if kitty back. I have 4,,

Old 01-25-2016, 05:17 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,894,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post
That was a nasty reply. I am almost 79 years old......can hardly get my shoes on let alone boots. I walk with a cane. Get your facts before you start bad-mouthing a person. I'm sad enough because I can't go look for him and then you have to post such an inconsiderate response.
I'm sorry you had to run into such a cruel response. It seems some people assume things from their limited perspective and it speaks volumes about themselves.

We have an outdoor cat by us that looks to have been abandoned by someone, probably fairly recently so this may have been his first winter outdoors. He was outside during the snowstorm and was just fine (and wasn't in our unfinished basement where he usually hangs out, so he must have taken off somewhere). I'm hoping that your cat found some shelter and is just hiding out until it gets better. I wouldn't worry about the cold at least--that fur keeps them pretty warm. Our cat outside was just fine when it was about 13 out. I hope he'll turn up. Perhaps you may try calling the local shelter to see if he turned up there. Please keep us posted, we're hoping for the best.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:01 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,138,991 times
Cats, especially if they're used to going outside, are very resilient and hardy.

Years ago I lost a cat in a snowstorm (unneutered tom) and didn't see him for several weeks, so I assumed the worst. Then the snow melted, he showed up ... skinny and stinky but otherwise fine. I gave him food and a bath, and the next morning called the vet to get him fixed, which ended his gallivanting.

I currently have two that were born feral which I trapped as kittens and tamed. They love to be outside whenever they can, even in the snow (I swear, the boy has the soul of a Canada lynx, he loves snow so much), and they're terrorists if they want out and I won't let them go. So, we compromise: if the temp's in double digits and the windchill is above zero, they can go out and stay for a while (the colder it is, the shorter the stay outside obviously), and when they're good cats and come in when I call, they get some canned cat food or shredded cooked chicken (which i always have on hand because my dog has digestive problems). I generally use a "cat caller" to persuade them to come in: I tap on an empty cat food can with a butter knife.

Hopefully, your kitty comes home soon, OP.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:04 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,913,558 times
Cats are not helpless. They have a strong will to survive and are very resourceful. As well, most humans have a compassion for animals, and even those who are not "cat people" will do whatever it takes when they see an animal out in a storm even if it's just providing simple shelter in a garage. Whenever you can, stand outside your door and call your cat's name. Keep doing that. It may take a few days, but don't give up hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats