Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 11:02 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
If you're pretty sure he got most of it, I'd wait until the next dose.

If you have a health food store nearby, you could get some small empty capsules and put the pill in one of those. It's easier to handle. Or you could coat the outside of the pill with some butter so it slides down his throat easier (plus it tastes better).
Thanks- I will try the butter idea tonight.

I don't want to jinx anything, but I'm wondering if his medications are starting to work. He hasn't had any diarrhea for 18 hours. I think that is the longest gap since we started the meds. His appetite is also improving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 03:28 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Thanks- I will try the butter idea tonight.

I don't want to jinx anything, but I'm wondering if his medications are starting to work. He hasn't had any diarrhea for 18 hours. I think that is the longest gap since we started the meds. His appetite is also improving.
Well that is good news. Hope it keeps up!

Old 02-22-2016, 04:02 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times
Yay! Let's keep up the good luck. I Keep checking here to see updates, as y g/f & I are v concerned.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:19 PM

Thanks OCN and movintime!!

I talked to the regular vet today and she thinks he is on the mend.

I gave I/V fluids this afternoon.

I am now giving him a bit of salmon oil to lick off my fingers after I pill him or give him the I/V, and when he uses the litter box. Just to help provide more positive reinforcement. He likes it so much that he chomped into my finger pretty hard at one point today- thankfully didn't puncture skin. He is such a docile cat that he has never bit me or scratched me his entire life, so this little chomp was a sign that he really goes nuts for salmon oil!

Old 02-22-2016, 05:44 PM

Good for him!!! This is GREAT news.

Give him as much salmon oil as you can, as it'll help his digestion. Have you used an organic canned pumpkin yet? It can help w/ both constipated (not him) but as well, diarrhea. Try it, but use Farmer's Mkt brand only -- as it is a BPA-free liner -- & so safest orgo pumpkin to use.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:53 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Thanks OCN and movintime!!

I talked to the regular vet today and she thinks he is on the mend.

I gave I/V fluids this afternoon.

I am now giving him a bit of salmon oil to lick off my fingers after I pill him or give him the I/V, and when he uses the litter box. Just to help provide more positive reinforcement. He likes it so much that he chomped into my finger pretty hard at one point today- thankfully didn't puncture skin. He is such a docile cat that he has never bit me or scratched me his entire life, so this little chomp was a sign that he really goes nuts for salmon oil!
How smart and sweet! This is a lucky cat!

Old 02-23-2016, 02:12 PM

190 posts, read 202,213 times
Glad to hear kitty is doing better, you are a very good parent. I had a cat for 20years and she was on iv fluids and thyroid medication for the last year. She also lost a lot of weight, very common in elderly cats. And of course she had frequent vet visits. In retrospect, I do wish I had put her down sooner rather than later. Animals are very good at not showing their pain. But if kitty is eating and eliminating ok, then her quality of life is good. Enjoy your kitty as much as you can.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:06 PM

He is definitely on the mend- I have never been so happy to see a cat turd in the litter box as I was today!! And the toxic gas is gone too!!! woooo hoooooo

Old 02-23-2016, 09:16 PM

Need I say more?

Old 02-24-2016, 08:11 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
Quote:
He is definitely on the mend- I have never been so happy to see a cat turd in the litter box as I was today!! And the toxic gas is gone too!!! woooo hoooooo
I'm so happy he's doing better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats