Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Concerned citizen frustrated with neighborhood cats, cat owners who let cats roam unsupervised all night and day, cause accidents, tear up landscaping, getting into trash

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:37 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,324,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Oh, Lindsey, how awful! Was Nigel ok? The only people I truly hate are those that are cruel to animals.
He was fine. I had just lost my Father and almost my Mother when they had heart attacks in the same summer. Nigel was closer to me then most humans, I almost had a nervous breakdown when I found him like that. I took him straight to the Vet, balling and almost out of control. Luckily I knew them well and they took good care of him. He was fine.

I swear at that moment if someone had come up and said they had done that, they would have found me hysterical with my hands around their neck.

Nigel was a sweet and gentle cat, he had no claws, he had been fixed. He was not a fighter, he would retreat LONG before he would fight, there was absolutely NO reason to do such a thing to him.

The only time he ever showed agression was when I was pregnant, if he thought a person was a threat to me, he would get between me and that person and get his ridge up and puff as big as he could get. It was so sweet. Somehow he knew I was pregnant. He always amazed me with how in tune he was with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 07:48 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,911,961 times
I keep my kitties inside too. No free roaming outside activities for them. They LOVE sitting on the sills in the screened in porch, and they can't wait for the windows to be open. Every now and then when the weather is nice, I'll take one out on a leash. They seem almost insulted to be brought outside. LOL. It's like they're thinking, "What? What is this? There are no pillows, no bed, no sofas, no fresh water or ready to eat food? What do you think I am...a dog? I'll take my afternoon sun on the porch please." LOL.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I keep my kitties inside too. No free roaming outside activities for them. They LOVE sitting on the sills in the screened in porch, and they can't wait for the windows to be open. Every now and then when the weather is nice, I'll take one out on a leash. They seem almost insulted to be brought outside. LOL. It's like they're thinking, "What? What is this? There are no pillows, no bed, no sofas, no fresh water or ready to eat food? What do you think I am...a dog? I'll take my afternoon sun on the porch please." LOL.
I have a stroller for my kitties, they really seem to enjoy going for a walk in it, they don't have to do the walking and they can lounge and look gorgeous.

Kittywalk Systems

They feel safe and its a place they are used to playing in.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:34 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,971,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
"What? What is this? There are no pillows, no bed, no sofas, no fresh water or ready to eat food? What do you think I am...a dog? I'll take my afternoon sun on the porch please." LOL.
Oh, too funny. We have a "little thing" going on with my bf's dog and one of my cats. His dog is a maltipoo, so he's on the couch, the bed, everywhere. The more that my cat sees the attention the dog gets, the more he's on my lap, totally "in my face" like he's never been. I have to reassure him, repeatedly, that he'll always be my "number one white guy". LOL Now, if we can only expand my bed to a SUPER Cal King to accommodate me, my bf, his dog and my cat, who's feeling left out nowadays.

Then there's my other cat, who's about to turn 13 and has always "done his own thing" (read: be anti-social). Occasionally, he gets it through his feline head that he wants to go outside. Last week, I opened the door to my place and he ran out and down the stairs. He made it just as far as the "rain line". *screech* He hi-tailed it back up here. Maybe mom's place isn't so bad after all.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:49 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,134,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I can't help but thinking, after responding the way I did, about how some of this attitude parallels that of some parents with their kids.

"Kids will be kids". Well, fine and dandy, but once they impede on MY life, you had better take some responsibility. How many times have I been in a restaurant, or some other place, where kids were literal banshees? Parents didn't do anything because, well, "kids are kids". There's no acknowledgment beyond what's at the tip of the parent's noses. And, apparently, I was the person who "didn't understand". LOL

It's the same selfishness that has been shown in this thread about felines.

While most people *do* take responsibility, there are way too many who feel, "hey, this is what the kid/cat does, and the rest of the world just needs to accept it". Erm, no.
Perfect analogy.... Absolutely perfect comparrison.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:30 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I have a stroller for my kitties, they really seem to enjoy going for a walk in it, they don't have to do the walking and they can lounge and look gorgeous.

Kittywalk Systems

They feel safe and its a place they are used to playing in.
Lindsey, I would LOVE to see a pix of that!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:14 AM

37 posts, read 144,268 times
Default My reply

Hello to Lindsey McFarren/Mishigas 73 & Tinman 01.

I will reply some of your assertions. Lindsey, I do not look down on anyone from USA never have, never will, I'm sorry if thats what you felt. Its just that here in UK (yes i am from England) things are different, NOT BETTER, just different. We will never agree on de-clawing ones cat, but i respect your right to do as you see fit.

I NEVER allow my lovely girl Tillymint to roam or go and annoy my neighbours, its just that in UK most cats (that our family owner and loved) enjoy a bit more freedom and by this i mean being kept in my garden only and not venturing outside of our boundaries. Yes cats/dogs unattended and left to own devices to roam etc are a nuisance, but thats not what i meant.

Mishigas 73, sorry if i upset you, this was not my intention, possibly something got lost in translation, you had every right to be upset with such an insenstive neighbour. And yes, you're right i do not know you or your cats so my apologies for my assumption, what we will differ on is cats being allowed out etc.

Tinman01, I am not one of those cat owners who does not give a toss, i care deeply about how I and my pet impact on others and always treat everyone with repect, though human nature makes this harder.

I think we are all singing from the same hymn book, its just here in UK it is not unusual for our cats to have some (and i mean some, only a bit) of access to secure outside space.

And finally, Tinman01, you're right about kids, I recently saw a child running and kicking a bird which was on the groundfeeding, when i said (nicely) ooh no, don't do that little one, you don't want to hurt that bird, it's not nice to kick defenceless animals etc, well within 1 miniute his Dad came over and in no uncertain terms told me to F..k mind my own business, if his kid wants to kick the s..t out of the bird thats up to him, NO ONE tells his kids what to do. you get the drift. I tried to explain but fell on deaf ears. What chance do these kids have if thats the lesson their parents are teaching them. 1. it's ok to abuse animals 2. its ok to F & blind women and generally be disrespectful.

So yes, there are Bad parents and bad pet owners, i think everyone who obviously has taken the time to write on this thread obviously cares. We just have different (NOT BETTER) ways of raising our beloved cats. And lets be glad we both live in countries were we can agree to differ.

So again, my apologies if i offended anyone, but I was slightly hurt by being grouped with the non caring pet owners. You are so wrong in that assumption.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:21 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,539,683 times
Default Fyi

Like some posters have already taken into consideration,

I will remind posters to be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. This is a valid thread subject and I understand both sides, so I have not done any editing or deleting of posts, but if the topic does become in any way hostile again, the thread will be closed.

For reference, I have attached the Terms of Service.

ToS

Thanks everyone!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,134,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annriley View Post
Hello to Lindsey McFarren/Mishigas 73 & Tinman 01.

I will reply some of your assertions. Lindsey, I do not look down on anyone from USA never have, never will, I'm sorry if thats what you felt. Its just that here in UK (yes i am from England) things are different, NOT BETTER, just different. We will never agree on de-clawing ones cat, but i respect your right to do as you see fit.

I NEVER allow my lovely girl Tillymint to roam or go and annoy my neighbours, its just that in UK most cats (that our family owner and loved) enjoy a bit more freedom and by this i mean being kept in my garden only and not venturing outside of our boundaries. Yes cats/dogs unattended and left to own devices to roam etc are a nuisance, but thats not what i meant.

Mishigas 73, sorry if i upset you, this was not my intention, possibly something got lost in translation, you had every right to be upset with such an insenstive neighbour. And yes, you're right i do not know you or your cats so my apologies for my assumption, what we will differ on is cats being allowed out etc.

Tinman01, I am not one of those cat owners who does not give a toss, i care deeply about how I and my pet impact on others and always treat everyone with repect, though human nature makes this harder.

I think we are all singing from the same hymn book, its just here in UK it is not unusual for our cats to have some (and i mean some, only a bit) of access to secure outside space.

And finally, Tinman01, you're right about kids, I recently saw a child running and kicking a bird which was on the groundfeeding, when i said (nicely) ooh no, don't do that little one, you don't want to hurt that bird, it's not nice to kick defenceless animals etc, well within 1 miniute his Dad came over and in no uncertain terms told me to F..k mind my own business, if his kid wants to kick the s..t out of the bird thats up to him, NO ONE tells his kids what to do. you get the drift. I tried to explain but fell on deaf ears. What chance do these kids have if thats the lesson their parents are teaching them. 1. it's ok to abuse animals 2. its ok to F & blind women and generally be disrespectful.

So yes, there are Bad parents and bad pet owners, i think everyone who obviously has taken the time to write on this thread obviously cares. We just have different (NOT BETTER) ways of raising our beloved cats. And lets be glad we both live in countries were we can agree to differ.

So again, my apologies if i offended anyone, but I was slightly hurt by being grouped with the non caring pet owners. You are so wrong in that assumption.
Good post. Thank you for explaining the situation. My experience in England has left me with nothing but fond memories. Loved the people, the country side, and oh yes the wonderful ales. Samual Smiths oatmeal stout comes to mind as well as some great porters.
The boys father would fit in nicely here in the states. I agree with you, we are singing the same hymn just to a different beat. Cheers.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:17 PM

The reality of it is that letting your cat out into the garden doesn't mean he stays there. When we were there, we had French doors leading out to the garden that when it was warm I left open for the breeze, I had many a cat visit me from the back garden when his owners let them out there.

If a cat has claws, he can very easily get up and over the kind of wooden fencing that is typical in the UK. Not too mention the number of cats that sit out in the front garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats