U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 01:13 PM

7,619 posts, read 5,118,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
Ha! I love this thread. I don't have a cat, just wanted to find out why they're staring at you. I think they're practicing mind control, but haven't worked out the kinks.
Well, they are known to be control freaks, so maybe your theory has some merit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 01:16 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,368,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
Ha! I love this thread. I don't have a cat, just wanted to find out why they're staring at you. I think they're practicing mind control, but haven't worked out the kinks.
As you don't have a feline, you may not have heard this maxim: "Dogs have Masters ~ Cats have Staff"
Never was there a truer word spoken.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:28 PM

31,216 posts, read 57,353,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Do you have this same experience with your cats? Does it make you feel uncomfortable?
I woke up in the middle of the night and Bear (RIP) had hopped up on my night stand, and was staring at me. Bear was my husband's cat who hated me. I screamed, he yeowled and bolted, my husband thought there was an intruder in the house. Hilarity ensued.

The current housemates stare when they want something -- food, water, treats, attention, me to move over in bed so they can have 3/4 of the bed instead of just 1/2. If staring doesn't work, the next move is meowing; after that, they move on to tapping and head butting.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:30 PM

5,653 posts, read 3,202,909 times
Trying to communicate with your telepathically? If they do that what with each other, why not with you too?

Old 03-24-2016, 01:32 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,607,969 times
Oh yeah, all three of my girls stare at me. Deuxdad will sit on the arm of the chair and stare if I am eating something. If that doesn't work she reaches out a paw to snatch something off my plate.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:45 PM

7,619 posts, read 5,118,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Oh yeah, all three of my girls stare at me. Deuxdad will sit on the arm of the chair and stare if I am eating something. If that doesn't work she reaches out a paw to snatch something off my plate.
Wait till they double-team you.... one distracts, while the other snatches the prize. I've actually had that happen to me.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:03 PM

4,266 posts, read 2,806,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post

We eat in the living room when it is just the two of us. I sit on my recliner which Electra sits on the arm. I use a t.v. tray for my food. There was only ONE time (that I noticed) I was talking to my husband (who was on the couch that is next to the recliner) and when I turned back, there was Electra with her nose in my food. She has NEVER done that before which is why I usually don't mind her sitting there while I eat.

Cat

Old 03-24-2016, 02:16 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,607,969 times
One of my cats actually stole my sister's whole steak off her plate. We once had a dog that took a whole roast beef that was resting on the stove.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:47 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,052,823 times
They're brains are the size of peas, yet they function very very well.

They're amazing little creatures, so I'm always thrown off by the stares. I could be sitting and reading for an hour, and randomly glance up, and they are staring.

Perhaps it is a Jedi mind trick?!?

Old 03-26-2016, 07:37 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,368,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
They're brains are the size of peas, yet they function very very well.

They're amazing little creatures, so I'm always thrown off by the stares. I could be sitting and reading for an hour, and randomly glance up, and they are staring.

Perhaps it is a Jedi mind trick?!?
The actual brain size of an adult feline is about the size of large shelled walnut. I've seen more than one. This is probably part of why cats are always so much 'in the moment'.

They are one of my favourites of all the creatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats