Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:34 PM

29,420 posts, read 22,307,026 times

Advertisements

I should try that next time with an aloof cat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...his-love-real/

Quote:
“If the cat suddenly realizes that you’re something that gives them pleasure to be around, they may start to love you,” Horowitz said.

Mikel Delgado, a graduate student at the University of California at Berkeley who studies cat behavior, agreed. She pointed to Fuzz’s kneading as further evidence that he likes me for more than just treats.

“You didn’t train the kneading, but he started doing it because you tapped him into an emotional state.” she said. “He acted loving, and then maybe started feeling it.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 12:47 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,732,273 times
If a kitty is weaned too young, or abandoned, the kneading my continue for a long time. One of my kitties is a rescue, that was found abandoned and starving. At 4 years old, he still tries to nurse from his best friend (who is spayed), and he always kneads.

I am sure your cat loves you for more than treats :-) But in rescues, this may be more visible due to their "abandonment issues". My other cat is very aloof, but she is timid, also a rescue. I know she loves me, but she still has that wildness in her.

Aloof cats love you, too...yes, it is real.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:03 PM

5,836 posts, read 5,222,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
If a kitty is weaned too young, or abandoned, the kneading my continue for a long time. One of my kitties is a rescue, that was found abandoned and starving. At 4 years old, he still tries to nurse from his best friend (who is spayed), and he always kneads.

I am sure your cat loves you for more than treats :-) But in rescues, this may be more visible due to their "abandonment issues". My other cat is very aloof, but she is timid, also a rescue. I know she loves me, but she still has that wildness in her.

Josette is 2. She was taken from her mother at 10 weeks-but that could have been too soon for her because she still tries to nurse from me-usually on my side-not from...um...well...

Cat

Old 04-04-2016, 01:13 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,244,766 times
Quote:

I've had 2 cats that were weaned at 5 weeks (long story, but yes, it was necessary), and they kneaded and nursed until around age 3 or 4. They both gradually grew out of it, but it took a long time. I've no doubt the early separation from the mother cat caused it. None of the other kittens I've had over the years, who were properly weaned, had that behavior.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:52 PM

I used to think one of other cats did not "love" me, but I know now that is not true. She knows when I am sick, depressed, happy, or anxious. She snuggles when I need her most.

It's hard because cats don't run up and lick our faces like dogs do - their love is harder to gauge - but it is there. Plus, unlike dogs, cats are solitary creatures, not pack animals (with the exception of lions), so I think biologically, this makes it harder for them to express themselves to their pet parents.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:49 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,932,431 times
I don't think it has anything at all to do with early separation.

Smudge and Bennie were a year old when their Momma kitty went to live in her "retirement" home with my cat sitter.

They turned 2 years old last month.

Smudge STILL tries to nurse from Charcoal (my 4 year old neutered male)... and both Smudge and Bennie knead to the point of being bothersome.

Both S&B were handled extensively and socialized equally during their kittenhood. Bennie's the social butterfly lapcat....Smudge is standoff-ish and doesn't like to be handled.. nor petted very much.

It's their individual personalities.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:51 AM

10,102 posts, read 19,300,689 times
My favorite cat was part of an abandoned litter, he was given to me at 2-3 weeks of age. I fed him from a kitten bottle and KMR. He still tries to knead and suckle. He cuddles with me and his kitty blanket. He's about 12 years old now! Yes, his love is real!

Old 04-05-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My favorite cat was part of an abandoned litter, he was given to me at 2-3 weeks of age. I fed him from a kitten bottle and KMR. He still tries to knead and suckle. He cuddles with me and his kitty blanket. He's about 12 years old now! Yes, his love is real!

Yup - bottle fed one of mine, too. I am the only one she feels close to. If someone else comes into the room, she immediately looks at me as if to say, "who is this person and why are they are here?"

She also rolls over so I can rub her belly - in the wild, that could get them killed, so it is a sign in domestic cats that they love and trust you.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:41 PM

5,836 posts, read 5,222,758 times
Quote:
Yup - bottle fed one of mine, too. I am the only one she feels close to. If someone else comes into the room, she immediately looks at me as if to say, "who is this person and why are they are here?"

She also rolls over so I can rub her belly - in the wild, that could get them killed, so it is a sign in domestic cats that they love and trust you.

My Electra will roll over and show me her belly but if I touch it, she has a fit. It is like she is saying, "Look, but don't touch."

Cat

Old 04-06-2016, 11:59 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,244,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
My Electra will roll over and show me her belly but if I touch it, she has a fit. It is like she is saying, "Look, but don't touch."

Cat
Sounds familiar.
Two of my current 3 girls are 'tummy teasers' also. They love rolling over and showing me their belly, and always give that look... "go on, you know you want to". After all these years with them, I certainly know better than to fall for it. But sometimes I just can't resist and do it anyway. It's ok though, as I always keep a good supply of Band-aids on hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats