U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 09:28 AM

511 posts, read 646,893 times

Advertisements

I have a very fading kitten who was dumped at the local vet with his litter in the night. All 5 siblings are healthy and feisty and being bottled fed/weaned elsewhere. He's probably 3 1/2 weeks old and is hanging in at 145 grams (conversely I have a 10 day old who arrived as a newborn here at 75 grams and is over 150 now and loves to eat). I have had him since Saturday. He's not gaining. He has no suck so I have to drip the formula into his mouth (w miracle nipple on a syringe). He seems to have reflux. I added l reuteri to his formula and lactoferrin and hydrolyzed collagen. Yes, I am desperate. Wondering if Alimentum might be easier on his tummy, if not perfect. I am pretty new to the world of wee, tiny, sick kittens. Shelter has the feeling that he will live or he won't and expensive vetting is unlikely to help much but I may take him into my preferred vet on Thursday, which is my first opportunity. Please share your brilliant ideas!!!! Zeus needs a miracle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 09:31 AM

I ordered some 2 ounce Nutramigen nursettes from Amazon that will arrive tomorrow. Hoping this was a good idea.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:30 AM

Never mind. He died. Back to Olympus for little sweet Zeus.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:45 AM

7,583 posts, read 5,099,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusStrip View Post
Never mind. He died. Back to Olympus for little sweet Zeus.
So sorry you couldn't save him, but bless you for trying.

RIP little guy.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
So sorry you couldn't save him, but bless you for trying.

RIP little guy.

Thanks. I wish I could have given him the miracle he needed. I might keep hydrolyzed around and add taurine too it assuming it will mix in just in case I have another sickly baby again.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:01 PM

5,875 posts, read 11,740,839 times
I know you wanted to save him, but sometimes it's better if they don't. A baby that sick may have been sickly his whole life. That's no way for a cat to live.

The little baby lived long enough to know your love, and that's the important part of this. He felt loving hands holding him before he passed on to kitty heaven. It is enough. x

Old 04-09-2016, 12:16 AM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
So sorry the little guy didn't make it....

Sounds like you do rescue work. Have you heard of KMR---kitten milk replacement formula? You can buy it at Petco, etc. it comes either ready to use or powdered. Its specifically for the orphaned kitten. I fed that to Buttons. When I got him he was part of an abandoned litter, couldn't have been more than 2 --3 weeks old at the most.

That was ~12 years ago. Buttons is still with us, a fat, fluffy, furry friend!

Bless You for trying!

Old 04-09-2016, 04:38 AM

96 posts, read 269,902 times
Don't beat yourself up over losing him. You gave him a chance and tried. That's all you can do. Unfortunately, not all orphans will survive. The first month or so is really touch and go. Even one that appears healthy can suddenly take a turn for the worse.

I foster for a rescue and specifically only do bottle babies because not many people want to take that task on and I have the extra time they need. I agree with the poster that suggested KMR. The pre-made may be better if you have a sickly one. I've noticed kittens tend to like it better. With a kitten that won't suck, just have to do one drop at a time. Make sure you never have the kitten on it's back or else the milk can go into the lungs. That will cause pneumonia and the kitten will pass away. If the kitten is spitting the milk back out, take a break and try again in a little while. It's possible they won't swallow anyway and it still goes into the lungs. If they won't swallow, there's not much you can do other than tube feed which is something you would want a vet or someone with experience to teach you.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
So sorry the little guy didn't make it....

Sounds like you do rescue work. Have you heard of KMR---kitten milk replacement formula? You can buy it at Petco, etc. it comes either ready to use or powdered. Its specifically for the orphaned kitten. I fed that to Buttons. When I got him he was part of an abandoned litter, couldn't have been more than 2 --3 weeks old at the most.

That was ~12 years ago. Buttons is still with us, a fat, fluffy, furry friend!

Bless You for trying!

Yes, I fed him KMR (actually a very similar product that contains colostrum). He was just so frail and cold and emaciated. I wish I had gotten him sooner.

Hercules thankfully at 17 days is a little piggy and loves to eat. I worry about his mental state spending almost all his time alone but hopefully the snuggling he does get is enough. I will have to try to find him a friend close to his age in a couple of weeks if someone is seeking a bottle feeder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or