U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:10 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,022,700 times

Advertisements

My cat is an adult rescue, and he means the world to me! Sweetest cat I've ever owned, and he has the most incredible personality!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 11:38 AM

3,846 posts, read 6,600,443 times
Congratulations on giving a pet a new home! I'm so happy I adopted my cat several months ago. She is fitting right in taking over the place and clearly "owns" me and my bf.
I paid $50.00 for the adoption fee, I buy her high quality, grain free dry food with occasional grain free wet. I pay $25.00 a month for her basic vet wellness exams, dental, etc.
I have additional insurance for major injuries, surgeries, etc that cost about 150.00 a year. One of the other quotes of about 300.00 a year sounds pretty accurate. Perhaps budget up to 500.00 a year?

Old 04-08-2016, 02:52 PM

2,050 posts, read 1,763,717 times
We adopted our youngest in August 2014 from a no-kill shelter. He was four months old and cost $75, which I felt was a bargain. He was neutered, 2 worming doses, started on vaccines, and had a microchip.

Vet costs vary widely--I have a little money taken out of my check and put into a special savings account. It's sort of my own form of "pet insurance."

We feed raw and wet food, and spend about $75 month on food and litter for three cats. That may sound expensive, but we spend FAR less at the vet's now. (I sound like a commercial, but it is indeed true.) Check Chewy.com for prices on food and litter. I've found some of their prices far better than pet stores, and they have free shipping on a $50+ order.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:21 AM

15,577 posts, read 9,650,106 times
Gotta warn you, going to the shelter is addictive ! You will want to take all of them home !

What I would suggest is, go there with lots of time to spend, so you can interact (if possible) with as many kitties as you can. Generally, one will pick you, rather than you picking him or her. Maybe even go back a second time. My one Son went 3 times and played with the same cat to make sure she was the right one, and she was.

Adult cats might be a better choice for a couple of reasons. First of all, they are over that kitten stage (which isn't all that bad any way) and secondly, everyone picks cute little kittens and leaves wonderful adult cats behind. Adult cats are more settled and might take longer to get comfortable, but they will eventually, and make great pets.

You might consider looking up a rescue group in your area for adopting. While it does not remove a cat from the normal pound, it does support a group that works tirelessly and with no pay to save animals from living a life outdoors in the wild. They generally will only charge about $50 or so.

As for yearly cost, it is not exactly cheap, but well worth the cost in what you get in return. I spend probably $50 every two weeks for cat food, litter, and treats for the 3 we have at home, and another $ 20 a week for Mama Cat, the feral we feed at our shop every night. I laugh when I go to the grocery store because I have a cart full of cat stuff and one or two items for me !

But I wouldn't trade owning a wonderful little loyal buddy for any amount of money. Life is so much better because of having them in my life.

Don

Old 04-11-2016, 11:14 PM

250 posts, read 131,239 times
Default Love heals a shelter animal

I got my last two cats at the shelter--both adults--and the male has the sweetest temperament of any animal I've ever known. And he had a bad, bad start: afraid of men, children, shoes, noise, and doors. He wouldn't interact with us.

So we asked if he had a friend cat. When the aide brought her in, I think she had a plan to go home with us before her paws hit the floor.

He calmed down almost immediately. We took them both home, and didn't see him again for three months...even though we never let him out.

It took over a year, but he finally believed he was home, and loved; and to this day, he purrs so loudly that he shakes.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:09 AM

10,121 posts, read 16,716,797 times
My shelter kitten cost $95 to adopt, but had an upper respiratory infection and even with a couple of free vet visits I wound up spending a few hundred at the vet as he got my other two cats sick as well. He also managed to get bitten by an infected flea twice (I.e. Got worms). Some cats are just lucky I guess?!

In disposition, cuddliness, and fun, he is the best cat I've ever had, and is now two years old and nearly 16 pounds!

Old 04-16-2016, 08:13 AM

2,469 posts, read 2,724,033 times
I probably spend about $300-$400 a year on my rescue cat, including the yearly checkup. I haven't had expensive vet bills yet, but if the cat is over 5-7 years, an older cat will need more medical care time to time. Maintenance such teeth cleaning can cost over $300, so if you budget OK, you will be fine. The yearly vaccine costs about $100.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:47 PM

11,619 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
How much is insurance?
Mine is $120/year or $140 (I'll check for you) and this company is awesome. They paid over $3K to diagnose my cat (MRI) and then all the meds for the remainder of her life and another $3K for hospitalization when she crashed and I thought they could save her.

I don't remember the specifics now but in a forum about her illness people would mention things their pet insurance didn't cover and mine covered them all.

Pet Plan. I chose Gold coverage because it's only pennies more than the others and $200 deductible. Any lower isn't worth it for the price.

I put $60/month into a pet savings account so when something happens I have the needed $200. It's also for regular check-ups and vaccinations and flea meds.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:49 PM

11,619 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelofogo View Post
I got my last two cats at the shelter--both adults--and the male has the sweetest temperament of any animal I've ever known. And he had a bad, bad start: afraid of men, children, shoes, noise, and doors. He wouldn't interact with us.

So we asked if he had a friend cat. When the aide brought her in, I think she had a plan to go home with us before her paws hit the floor.

He calmed down almost immediately. We took them both home, and didn't see him again for three months...even though we never let him out.

It took over a year, but he finally believed he was home, and loved; and to this day, he purrs so loudly that he shakes.
That is a great story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or