Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 06:54 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,248,316 times

Advertisements

How much should I expect to pay for one? And how much should I expect to pay for it's yearly bills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 07:52 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,565 times
Local shelters or 'pounds' usually charges a very low fee, ranging from $10-25. The reason is because they are open admission, meaning they always take in unwanted and stray pets, regardless of space. So to avoid as much unnecessary euthanasia as possible, they offer such low fees, sometimes even free 2nd cat if you choose 2 cats. They are fixed, vaccinated, deflead, dewormed, examined by a vet, microchipped and ready to go home on the same day.

After adoption, the yearly cost depends on the age of the cat, but an average of $300 a year will cover the basics, like food, litter, toys and maybe a vet visit or two. Of course, the higher quality the food/litter, the higher the cost, but it can be worth it. Young cats can get into trouble by eating things they shouldn't, older cats may need blood work done to check on their health. In general, most cats are healthy, easy to care for and not too expensive to keep.

However, if you take in a pet, understand that this is a commitment, meaning you should always expect any emergency vet care your cat may need. Never say never as it happens to all of us at one point. Pet insurance or making a budget for those emergencies should be calculated into your overall budget.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:54 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
Thank you for adopting a cat. No amount of money spent is worth more than the enjoyment I get from my cats.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:59 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,248,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
Local shelters or 'pounds' usually charges a very low fee, ranging from $10-25. The reason is because they are open admission, meaning they always take in unwanted and stray pets, regardless of space. So to avoid as much unnecessary euthanasia as possible, they offer such low fees, sometimes even free 2nd cat if you choose 2 cats. They are fixed, vaccinated, deflead, dewormed, examined by a vet, microchipped and ready to go home on the same day.

After adoption, the yearly cost depends on the age of the cat, but an average of $300 a year will cover the basics, like food, litter, toys and maybe a vet visit or two. Of course, the higher quality the food/litter, the higher the cost, but it can be worth it. Young cats can get into trouble by eating things they shouldn't, older cats may need blood work done to check on their health. In general, most cats are healthy, easy to care for and not too expensive to keep.

However, if you take in a pet, understand that this is a commitment, meaning you should always expect any emergency vet care your cat may need. Never say never as it happens to all of us at one point. Pet insurance or making a budget for those emergencies should be calculated into your overall budget.
How much is insurance?

Old 04-05-2016, 09:50 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,579,094 times
I'm also happy to hear that you will be taking a cat off of death row, so to speak. This might be a good place to start looking. I see a lot of adorable cats on here eager to find a home. https://www.petfinder.com/pet-search...mal=cat&breed=

Old 04-05-2016, 09:59 PM

48 posts, read 44,851 times
Hi there!

We have always gotten our cats from shelters. We always end up with wonderful animals that get a cozy apartment life in return for being adorable and snuggly. We usually paid a nominal fee for our pets - Franklin was supposed to be euthanized the day we got him, so he was actually given to us for free. We made a $50 donation to the animal rescue that found him. For initial vaccinations and blood work, it usually costs about $200. If you get a pet from the humane society, they give you shots and neutering As part of the adoption costs. We haven't spent much on our cats, as they have usually been quite healthy. I would say maybe $300 a year for treats, litter, and check ups? We do buy fancy food and fancy litter though, so your costs may be cheaper.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:41 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
How much is insurance?
Pet insurance for cats depends on age, breed and any pre existing conditions it may have, and the type of coverage you want. The higher the deductible, the lower the monthly cost. Last I check with VPI, they gave me a quote of $20 for my 8 month old cat. Keep in mind, some insurance companies will not cover certain conditions, pre existing problems or past a certain age. The best bet is to shop around and ask for quotes.

Secondly, pet insurance do not work the same as health insurance - you are responsible for 100% of the bill upfront. If you can't afford that $500 vet bill, unless you sign up for Carecredit or use your credit card, pet insurance won't help you as what it does is reimburse a % of the bill back to you after a week or so.

Some suggest putting that same monthly amount aside to a savings account. Others think pet insurance is worth it. It all depends on your budget. I personally do not have pet insurance but saves an emergency fund just for the pets if we ever need it.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:04 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
The prices for adoption at our local shelter (which serves a good portion of our county) ranges from 50 dollars for adult cats to 125 dollars for kittens under 6 months. We adopted two 3 month old kittens at the same time- so we got a discount, 200 dollars total. Considering that they came spayed/neutered, microchipped and with a first round of shots, it was a steal.

Occasionally, I've heard other shelters around here running specials, but (fortunately) the shelters don't generally have over-crowding issues in this area (the Puget Sound region of WA state), so the price we paid is the "going rate" in this area.

In terms of average cost, it's about 30-40 dollars a month for our two guys for food and litter. We stock up on food when it's on special (and quite frequently, there's a coupon that comes that's "buy 10, get 10 free" for the Sheba pate).

Old 04-06-2016, 08:29 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Thank you for adopting a cat. No amount of money spent is worth more than the enjoyment I get from my cats.
Agreed. Please consider an adult cat rather than a kitten because adult cats have a harder time being adopted. Two of my five were adopted as adults, and another one I rescued as a mama with three kittens that somebody dumped along the side of the road. I kept the mama, found a home for one of the kittens, and gave the other two to the local no-kill shelter so they could be adopted out. The only two I got as kittens were ferals I trapped in an acquaintance's backyard and kept. They stayed with me because their chances of being adopted out were very limited because they were so skittish as kittens.

Adult cats like adult dogs that are adopted into loving homes bond with their human(s) as long as you interact with them.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:33 AM

511 posts, read 837,966 times
My kitty Maisy was literally due for euthanasia the day I got her. I had seen two kittens on the list for shyness and both times thought someone would rescue and they died. So I decided this time, the shy kitty would live. She's 3 now and still shy but a sweet girl. I love that choosing her meant literally saving her from imminent death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats