Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 04:37 PM

17,260 posts, read 11,074,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I too am finding this thread interesting, and am pleased that kitty is coming around. I too think a vet visit would be a good idea, but OP may want to wait a few weeks first and let the kitty get more settled. She could, however, bring in a stool sample to check for parasites.
That's what I was thinking too. A vet visit will be in order eventually. Right now, the last thing she needs is to be traumatized at a vet. I don't think she's ever seen a vet except when she was spayed but she seems quite healthy and has a very nice soft silky thick coat on her. If she acted or looked the least bit sick, I would be more concerned.
I may just call my vet and ask about the deworming and see what they say. Perhaps I can pick something up from them and just add it to her food to deworm her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 04:40 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that were I live in the desert, fleas and ticks are not a problem and do not occur naturally. I'm 99 percent certain she has neither and never has. She's never itchy or scratchy.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:45 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,561,718 times
She's a pretty cat. I love her colors. Seems to be working out good for both of you. It's great that she's getting a more stable life. I bet she's very happy to have you caring for her.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:25 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,283,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's what I was thinking too. A vet visit will be in order eventually. Right now, the last thing she needs is to be traumatized at a vet. I don't think she's ever seen a vet except when she was spayed but she seems quite healthy and has a very nice soft silky thick coat on her. If she acted or looked the least bit sick, I would be more concerned.
I may just call my vet and ask about the deworming and see what they say. Perhaps I can pick something up from them and just add it to her food to deworm her.
Actually you could just bring in a stool sample and he could check it for worms. That's what my vet does. Call and double check first and tell them why you don't want to bring her in.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Actually you could just bring in a stool sample and he could check it for worms. That's what my vet does. Call and double check first and tell them why you don't want to bring her in.
Great advice and I'll do that. Thank you!!

Old 05-23-2016, 07:23 PM

3,950 posts, read 4,184,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
At some point, it might be a good idea to get her to the vet for a check-up. I'm sure that she's fine but, given that she was a stray, she may need to be de-wormed, and some blood work might be a good idea just to make sure that she is in good health.

Re: the cat tree, it takes them a while to warm up to them. You might try scenting it with catnip to entice her. And cat nip in general will probably be appreciated
I am not trying to be a Negative Nancy here, but I never buy anything with catnip on it. I have several cats that become violent around catnip. As soon as they sniff it, they start attacking my other cats. Take the catnip away, and they become their normal, sweet selves. I have NO idea why this happens, but it is so unpleasant that I will not ever buy catnip or anything catnip-scented again. So all I am trying to say is do not assume every cat will have a great reaction to catnip and get all goofy or lovey-dovey.

Maybe I just have strange cats.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:11 AM

Just a quick update on Mrs. Robinson. She's doing wonderful and has started using the bed I bought her. She seems very happy and well adjusted. She purrs like an engine whenever she sees me and loves to be rubbed all over and brushed. She's come a long way since the first couple of days when she wouldn't come out of hiding.
I haven't used cat nip but have put treats in her 3 story house and I know she's been eating them so she's been in there. I just haven't seen her in it yet.
She's proven to be a wonderful girl and doesn't seem to miss her previous life.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:31 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,564,725 times
As a cat lover, I'm thrilled to hear that it's working out so well!

Old 05-24-2016, 12:31 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,283,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
As a cat lover, I'm thrilled to hear that it's working out so well!
Yes, me too!

Marino, I love the updates so keep 'em coming. I'm so glad she's doing well and that she's adjusted so well to staying indoors.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:25 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,339,298 times
I'm enjoying the happy updates too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats