Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 04:56 PM

446 posts, read 396,240 times

Advertisements

I would not use baby wipes or any other premoistened wipes on a cat. They are moistened with chemicals that are not good for a cat to ingest (which the cat would do if she licked where her fur had been wiped with the baby wipes). Years ago when I had a sick cat I gave him what my mother called "kitty cat baths" when we kids were little -- a washcloth wet with just plain warm water and wiped over our hands and faces -- or your kitty's fur Then gently dry her with a dry towel.

If you still want bloodwork done, see if you can find a vet who makes house calls. There are a few where I live, and one reason they do it is that many animals are much calmer when treated in their own homes. (The other reason is that many people have no transportation to get their pets to the vet.) I don't know if you are even thinking about bloodwork at this point, but having vet come to your home might be easier on your kitty and you.

My 18yo was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and a UTI, which we would not have known about without the bloodwork being done. She had been losing weight, eating very well, just couldn't put on weight. Now that she is on thyroid meds she is putting on weight.

She has also lost two fangs in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 07:50 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Unhappy *

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc
She isn't better, Dude111. Thanks for the big hug for her though; she's getting lots of them and will appreciate another. She was eating more for a while but not now.
Oh my.......I am sorry

Old 07-03-2016, 08:18 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
Miami an. My daughter has a cat that is now 25 years old. She has had health problems in the past and it turned out that it it was liver problems and nothing like cancer or tumors so she gets by on a special diet mainly consisting of kidney. My daughter loves her cat I even like the old hag to be around even though she hates my guts and would be sad to see her go. Really says that someday she must she has had a Wonderful Life and if the day ever comes what her quality of life is next to nothing my daughter will do the right thing.. just keep that in mind trust your judgement and when the time comes do the right thing.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:02 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Thanks for the update, OP. I would hesitate using baby wipes, but how about wetting a microfiber cloth with water and using that. I clean up vomit with microfiber clothes and they do a good job of "grabbing" the dirt. Plus, it would be soft on your kitty's paws.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:18 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
miamian in nc .. not all cats (nor people either) are benefitted by corticosteroids (such as prednisone). It's a go-to drug that may help some, but not all. If the excessive grooming started after the prednisone started, it could be correlated or coincidental. Steroids can cause a strange sensation such as itching.

I, too, echo everyone about baby wipes and instead suggest using some sort of cloth with warm water. A rough cloth with some kind of knap to mimic a cat's rough tongue might be helpful.

By the way, I get odd looks when people see my oldest cat (19) who looks terrible. I don't dispute it - he's skinny and he can no longer groom himself (arthritis). I know his time is drawing near, but he has not asked. He's still eating, still enjoying going out on the patio, has "fun" with me changing his napping locations, on occasion still trots when it's suppertime, adores getting on our laps and being patted or groomed. Still uses the litter box. Some people think that it's always time to make The Decision when there's any sort of decline, but I don't. Until the time he tells me (when he cannot move or will not eat), we'll just enjoy life together.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:49 PM

564 posts, read 1,041,899 times
The vet called back today and recommended refilling the prednisone as it increased her appetite. I had been running out of it and hadn't been giving it to Nicky every day, but every few days. So today I refilled it and is eating again, not a lot but little bits. I just want her to keep nourished as long as possible, which is what the vet also recommended. She told me the prednisone can keep the swelling down some too. I don't know if the grooming is related or not. And apparently the vet can tell looking at/feeling the tumor without the bloodwork because when she saw Nicky the last time I was in, she knew it. I hadn't asked the type but today she said it's squamous cell carcinoma. I always thought that was a skin cancer since I had worked for a MOHS physician several years ago but in reading more about it onlnie, it appears that it's very common in cats.

Mawifpafi, I was touched how you wrote about your cat and how you will wait till he tells you it's time. I second that about my own little one. I do see her declining but will wait as well because despite how she looks and drools all over the apt., she still jumps up on the bed to sleep next to me.

As far as the baby wipes, mine are fine. They are fragrance free, alcohol free, paraben free and hypoallergenic, so my vet said they can be used, or she also suggested a paper towel. I don't use them often. To wipe her saliva I always use a tissue or napkin. The ones I have are barely moist so I just used one a couple times when I soaked it with water as it was easier to wipe her paws since the consistency is heavier than a paper towel. I squeezed a little of the waterless cat shampoo on one the other day too. But thanks everyone for pointing it out; if they weren't the type I bought then they wouldn't be safe.

So that's where we are right now. I'm just making her comfortable, washing her towels every couple days too (I have towels on the sofa and my bed) to keep her clean, wiping out her dish a couple times a day, cleaning out her water bowl a couple times a day too...and giving her lots of hugs.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:07 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
I will pray again for kitty!!

Old 07-05-2016, 09:27 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times
I don't see any reason why the cat can't be given a plain old bath in a tub full of water and some gentle hand soap to get rid of the build-up.

I wouldn't use packaged wipes either, ingesting the residue can't be good for her.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:50 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
Miamian - you and your kitty are in my thoughts... ((hugs))

Old 07-06-2016, 06:48 AM

564 posts, read 1,041,899 times
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers Dude111 and KittenSparkles. How are you doing, KittenSparkles. I've thought of you too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats