Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 09:04 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

We have Russian Blue, male/neutered, about 16 who has raw strip on his groin/belly. First time took him to vet, he said it was scabbed and looked healed. Then over long time, it seemed to start weeping. Took him back, saw diff vet...he put him on strong antibiotic for 10 days but didn't culture it. Didn't heal. Returned, saw initial vet who did culture and gave long acting antibiotic shot since he said long lasting infection could have more than one bacterial strain...
This cat is not easy to check, doesn't like being messed with, doesn't like to be petted on stomach so seeing this place is not easy. But he has had good appetite, using litter box...sleeps lot but he is pretty old...
Culture came back as MRSA staph infection--- only 3 antibiotics useable--and e-coli bacteria which the shot should deal with.So today he got shot sub-cu of antibiotic for MRSA and tomorrow will take him back to vet so they can scrub wound w/antiseptic disinfectant--scrub the crusty parts and try topical cleaning as well as antibiotic. Will take him for 4-5 scrubs like that and hopefully by then wound will be healing.

Has anyone has cat with MRSA infected wound/sore?

So far we don't think this goes very deep...don't know how/when he got it even. He used to climb fence, get into fights, and be more adventurous but age and arthritis have slowed him down.
he doesn't seem to be that sick since he is eating and drinking and using litter box...but we are traveling in about 3 wks to FL for several months and we have 3 yr old grandson there who will be around the cat...
I am concerned about his picking up the staph although it is not a human strain...my understanding is that it can cross-contaminate in certain circumstances.

Put cat on probiotic today. He eats a freeze dried sardine and turkey food, Cat Chow, and canned cat food and he has good appetite. Drinks water as well and doesn't seem dehydrated...goes to litter box 4-5 times a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 04:01 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
No direct experience with cats in a situation like this but have they checked for a foreign body in the wound?

The reason I'm asking: years ago I had a thumb that kept getting infected. Got an antibiotic, it'd heal, then return. Finally, had another dr look at it (happened to be a surgeon) he cut it open and found a piece of glass right up against the bone. Glass gone, infection healed, all was well.

I'm wondering if something similar isn't going on with your cat.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:44 AM

This looks like surface contained...it is about 6-7" long and inch wide...almost looks like burn.
He hates to be rolled over so I rarely see his stomach to do any inspection...
First time I noticed it, it appeared to be crusted over with scab. The vet saw it and said it looked healed...no antibiotics, no cleaning...
Kept feeling the scab at times when I would pick him up tho so finally took him back...
It was worse--raw, bigger...that was first round of strong antibiotics but no culture was done.

I am just very concerned that we do this and we still can't cure it.

And I just realized that I forgot to put the pain med I am supposed to give him 30 min before going to the vet in the refrigerator...so will have to call and see if we can go earlier to have them dose him and then wait...
Not big deal but makes me worry about dementia...

Old 05-18-2016, 07:26 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I'm with PAhippo yep had the same thing with a spot on my foot would heal scab over and go away for a lil while and then finally the doc lanced it , looked around and said ah ha here is the lil bugger , he was british and I loved to hear him talk . it was a splinter that had not come out . I'm thinking yes something might be imbedded in the wound also .

Old 05-18-2016, 08:11 AM

They vleaned it this am
Nothing found
It isnt a puncture type injury

Old 05-18-2016, 12:39 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
I've never had a pet with MRSA but my late grandmother had it at least twice while in a nursing home. It is a tough thing to get rid of, and it might take several weeks of treatment.

I hope your kitty recovers.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:43 PM

Thank you
We want him to very much but the vet I spoke with today said that if our cat doesn't start to heal --and show pretty clearly that wound is closing--that we might need to consider having him put to sleep...

because this is a serious infection and dragging it out over extended timeline w/o positive improvement is likely not going to be effective either. We are taking an aggressive approach having the topical scrub daily which hopefully will enhance the antibiotic's work, but he has had this for long time...months probably...so I guess I am thinking the odds aren't in his favor. I guess we should be grateful it didn't get worse, go systemic, lower his overall resistance, and attack general health.

Vet today also said that even though this not human MRSA strain and we aren't at risk now with sensible precautions like washing hands after touching cat, we needed to tell our dr in future if we contemplate/need any invasive surgery like hip replacement or heart surgery because of possibility this MRSA strain could still be dormant in house...even if cat was gone. He gave me print out of the culture info.

Also that our cat if this cleans up and heals has high likelihood of developing MRSA with new wounds/injuries...so have to tell treating vet to start with stronger antibiotic.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:22 AM

Back from second topical cleaning and the tech said looks "much" better so maybe we are making progress and he will get this under control...

Old 05-21-2016, 09:06 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
This looks like surface contained...it is about 6-7" long and inch wide...almost looks like burn.
He hates to be rolled over so I rarely see his stomach to do any inspection...
The vet can give him a sedative, if necessary, anesthesia, so that area can be well examined, cleaned etc.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:48 PM

We have RX for neurontin--liquid--give it 30 min b4 apptment time
Calms him down
He hates to have it in syringe tho...spits lot out
Going to try in food tomorrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats