Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 12:29 AM

30 posts, read 41,527 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from ny to alabama soon. How to keep kitties calm for the long ride? Ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 06:19 AM

569 posts, read 551,455 times
You surely need the pet carriers(cages) for a safe ride.

Cats are quiet. I think they would last a long distance transfer calmly. They always find their own entertainments.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:41 AM

811 posts, read 1,555,372 times
Crates are an absolute must. I wouldn't consider moving with a cat without one, they are way too fast if they try to escape. A friend of mine lost her cat that way. We drove from Houston to NC with 3 cats and then a few years later NC to Miami with 2. We never had an open door or window unless the cat was secure in the crate. We would stop periodically to let them use the litter tray but I was shut in the car with them and then put them straight back in the crate. The first day there was quite a bit of yowling! Not a peep the second day. They were fine.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:30 PM

914 posts, read 737,006 times
You asked about how to keep them calm - mine are usually a nightmare in the car (a lot of meowing and whining). I have started using Feliway spray in the pet carrier now and it seems to help a little.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:05 AM

3,970 posts, read 4,247,383 times
Crates (absolutely essential), Feliway spray and Rescue Remedy (you can put a drop or two of it in their water; it is alcohol-based and cats don't like the taste). If they are not used to going in the car, you can try some short practice runs with them first.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:39 PM

25 posts, read 22,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
You asked about how to keep them calm - mine are usually a nightmare in the car (a lot of meowing and whining). I have started using Feliway spray in the pet carrier now and it seems to help a little.
Feliway doesn't calm my cat at all. I've sprayed it in her carrier every time we travel and she still yowls. Each trip has been only a few miles. Soon we will be moving several hours away and I am wondering how she is going to handle that. What size pet carrier do you use. I am wondering if that makes a difference.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:04 AM

914 posts, read 737,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisele View Post
Feliway doesn't calm my cat at all. I've sprayed it in her carrier every time we travel and she still yowls. Each trip has been only a few miles. Soon we will be moving several hours away and I am wondering how she is going to handle that. What size pet carrier do you use. I am wondering if that makes a difference.
Hmm mine is just a medium sized pet carrier that I bought from my vet. Not sure if the size matters...
I wonder if your cat will eventually calm down after a bit of travelling. The first few miles seem to be the most nerve-wrecking but she might get used to it after a while. Have you spoken to your vet? Maybe s/he can prescribe anti-anxiety medication for travelling?

Old 06-30-2016, 03:50 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,697,180 times
We moved our two from Boston to Atlanta. By the time we reached Pennsylvania they were sleeping.

Crates - a must - and bigger than you would use to take them to the vet. And strong. It's a cost of moving. Spend money to make them safe and comfortable like they're the most valuable thing you're transporting (because they are).

Old 07-02-2016, 08:26 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,975,854 times
This thread is a bit old, and the OP's "soon" may have come and gone. But for new readers of this thread, I'm echoing the same advice: crates are a must, and letting cats out while a vehicle is in motion is a no-no. Even letting them out when at a rest stop should only be done with extreme caution.

Every cat is different. Some are go-with-the-flow and manage to cope in any size crate. Some do fine without Feliway or other relaxers while others need something to take the edge off.

Some may prefer being able to see out of their crates while others want to hide in a cave. I'm curious if the difference can be attributed to whether a cat is a tree-dweller or bush-dweller? Might the former want to see what's going on and the latter perhaps want a towel thrown over the crate so that the world rushing by is invisible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats