Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 12:33 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

I take my rescued Maine Coon in for an annual spring therapeutic shave-down because his long, flossy hair ends up in painful mats, and he doesn't allow brushing except in select areas (his head). About a week or two after the "hairdo," he started itching and scratching more than usual. I didn't pay too much attention at the time. Then I noticed him vigorously licking a particular spot (the equivalent of our inner thigh) on one side and looked. It's BALD - as in, no hair at all- and seems to have blisters on it. What?

I'm debating whether to take him to the vet's office that did the shave or to another that we also use...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 01:43 PM

457 posts, read 497,160 times
Does this annual shave upset him at all? I had a cat that was bullied by the other cats in the house and she would obsessively lick herself to the point of having bald spots.....one of the spots was exactly where you describe. She had to go on anti-anxiety medication for a while. It sounds like your boy may be licking himself and causing the blisters/sores.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:44 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
I'd take him to the one that did the grooming. That way they can have the groomer look at it, since it seems to be related. Do you normally use that vet for any medical concerns, or just for the grooming?

Old 05-26-2016, 01:48 PM

He loves the shave-down; always feels perkier afterward. I have another cat, but he just gives him a sniff when he gets home and then carries on. Have been doing this for many years, but this is new. Usually use the other vet for medical purposes since they offer emergency hours (the grooming vet doesn't), but this vet tech does a great job of shaving and doesn't charge much. I even wondered if they might've used clippers from a mange case and not adequately disinfected it first, but why there?

Last edited by otterhere; 05-26-2016 at 02:02 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 01:57 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
I'd go back to the vet whose groomer did the hairdo. Perhaps the clipper blade got too hot and burned him? Or maybe the blade wasn't clean and he's picked up something from the previous critter who got shaved? Or maybe the blade wash they use to cleanse the blades while clipping could have caused a reaction?

My Maine Coon was the same way - forget brushing him if you wanted to keep your appendages. He had enough mats to make another cat when I rescued him. The summer lion cut was the only way to go.

Regarding the stress-related licking . . . I had a Ragdoll who licked and pulled out all his hair from his mid-section to the tip of his tail. He was quite the sight! After running a lot of tests (can't remember specifics - it's been awhile) the vet put him on amitriptyline for his suspected anxiety and that took care of that. He lived to be 17 and was on his meds from about 5 years old. All his hair grew back. He was the best cat ever and I'm going to have another one of these days.

Hope you get some answers soon. The poor kitty must be uncomfortable. Kudos for you being such a good cat-mom. I've been reading your posts about your future plans and applaud you for putting the cats first. Not everyone gets it as I know too well!

Old 05-26-2016, 01:58 PM

I'm thinking it may have just been an irritated spot that he licked and licked and irritated it more, hence the blistering. Wouldn't hurt to at least call and describe it to them, see if they can advise.

I'd love to shave my cat, but he is not a longhair, just a heavy-hair shedder. I think it would traumatize him, as he's pretty timid and hates going to the vet. Last time I took him in for a wellness exam, they had to sedate him just to look at him.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:58 PM

Aw; thank you!

I had my other cat (also a Maine Coon) shaved once; he came out of it panting and wild-eyed. Wouldn't put him through it again! He doesn't mat, though; just sheds like a dandelion gone to seed in the spring.

Does that sound like mange or some other parasite? No other place he could've picked anything up.

Last edited by otterhere; 05-26-2016 at 02:07 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Aw; thank you!

I had my other cat (also a Maine Coon) shaved once; he came out of it panting and wild-eyed. Wouldn't put him through it again! He doesn't mat, though; just sheds like a dandelion gone to seed in the spring.

Does that sound like mange or some other parasite? No other place he could've picked anything up.
Can you post a pic of it?

Old 05-26-2016, 02:28 PM

I've never tried that before; maybe.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:13 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
I'm really guessing here, but it may have had to do with the shaved portion becoming dry/exposed to the air and itching or feeling the air more, hence the over-licking. My long-haired girl Sheba recently had a small abscess (still don't know from what) on the top of her back, and we had to shave the area to treat it. That patch of bare skin drove her nuts for a while. Her back was twitching a lot and she was constantly trying to lick it. Fortunately she couldn't reach it, or she probably would have groomed it raw. It took about a month for some fur to start coming back, and when that happened it stopped bothering her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats