U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 05:31 AM

4,444 posts, read 1,731,819 times

Advertisements

I think an enclosed box maintains a concentrated odor and think it is best to have open boxes, which are easier to scoop and as mentioned, need to be scooped often. I do so at least a couple times a day and since the box in the bathroom, I am aware of it. It is good having a window slightly cracked open with a lock in the track or a solid piece of wood, preventing it from being lifted out, if you can do so. You might consider the type of litter, too - I prefer an unscented scoop-able.

As mentioned, it's good to consider your cat's condition and also, the food options as recommended. I only have one cat now, but she always has dry crunchies available and gets a small portion of wet food twice a day, besides a clean water bowl.

We all live and learn...hope things improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 09:19 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,194,348 times
Interesting about the dry food. I will ask the vet to see what he thinks. I have always fed my cats dry and never had sick or fat cats though.

I use unscented scoopable litter. So Phresh I think it is called. I buy it at Unleashed.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:57 AM

5,876 posts, read 11,750,970 times
Most vets don't know anything about feline nutrition. What little they are taught is taught by pet food company representatives. Cats are strict obligate carnivores. They need meat and moisture from their food to thrive.

The link I posted is written by a vet who has made feline nutrition her life's work. Your cats would benefit greatly from a change in diet. You'll be amazed how much better than "fine" they will become. Since you've "always fed dry" you can't even imagine the difference.

www.catinfo.org

www.catcentric.org

www.feline-nutrition.org

www.kittyshark.net

Old 06-08-2016, 02:57 PM

7,849 posts, read 10,151,521 times
Constipation? I had a Tabby who developed it, not known to me, till it progressed to Megacolon (had to be years of constipation, but didn't look it to me). In hindsight,I wouldn't have fed her dry ever. I know she wouldn't have developed it if it were all canned/wet food.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:58 PM

5,115 posts, read 10,033,334 times
I second what Catsmom said.
I would put up another litter box in a different part of the house and to start out use "cat attract" it is a litter that is supposed to be attractive to cats. You don't want this to become a habit, best to lure her back to using the box by whatever means possible.
Good luck with your kitty

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-08-2016, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I bought some canned food today and she of course loved it. Hopefully it will make a difference.

I totally forgot about the cat attract litter. I used to have some. I guess it is time to get some more! :-)

Old 06-09-2016, 07:47 PM

6,704 posts, read 4,167,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Most vets don't know anything about feline nutrition. What little they are taught is taught by pet food company representatives. Cats are strict obligate carnivores. They need meat and moisture from their food to thrive.

The link I posted is written by a vet who has made feline nutrition her life's work. Your cats would benefit greatly from a change in diet. You'll be amazed how much better than "fine" they will become. Since you've "always fed dry" you can't even imagine the difference.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Do you get all fired up about your cats? Are you determined to give them the best in life you can? Then you've come to the right place! - CatCentric

Feline Nutrition

KittyShark, educate about nutritional deficiencies from kibble
This post should be stickied and pinned to the top of the forum's main page for every cat owner to read. It's amazing how few people know this, because their vets just pimp out whatever brand of cat food the salepeople tell them to sell. Over the years, whenever I have moved to a different part of the country, I have found that the best way to find a good cat vet is ask them what sort of food they recommend - or even what food they feed their own cats, if they have any. Our current vet told me he makes raw food for his cats, and when he found out that I did the same, he incorporated some of my tricks into his recipe. This is the best vet we have ever had.

Personally, I prefer to make my own cat food (I'll share the recipe with anyone who wants it.) I can understand why some people would feel they don't have time, but with my system I can make a month and a half's worth for 3 cats in 2 hours or less - all for around 50 bucks. To me, that's time well-spent, and a bargain too good to pass up.

Lastly, I can't help but wince a little whenever someone says they don't see a need because their cats seem healthy. (Not trying to offend Rapunzil in any way here; good for her for taking Catsmom's great advice and changing her feeding habits). Yeah, the cats will usually seem quite healthy for many years, but when they become older they probably will not be. And even if the cat does seem healthy, you'll probably be amazed at how much younger and more energetic they seem when you switch them to raw. For our Senior Cat, I swear it took 5 years off his age when we switched him. He's healthier at 18 than he was at 13.

The longer a cat lives, the more likely they will be to develop chronic kidney disease, and in almost all cases it's primarily attributable to eating dry food for much of their lives. Dry food only provides between 10% and 15% of the moisture cats get from raw food.Cats who eat an all-dry diet are in a constant state of dehydration, and over time it destroys the kidneys. They may seem fine in their younger years, but it will eventually catch up to them, and by the time you notice the symptoms of kidney failure they are already dying.

OK, off my soap box. Thanks, Catsmom, for a terrific post. Preach it, sister!

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 06-09-2016 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: T

Old 09-30-2016, 07:57 PM

I'm back. I recently have had my cat tested for all sorts of things, including going to a feline opthamologist, after spending about 1K, I found that there is nothing wrong with her except high blood pressure, which I am now giving her medication for. The peeing and pooping has gotten worse. She has walked by the litter boxes in the garage, which have Cat Attract litter in them to come inside and poop on my living room rug. My front hallway smells like cat pee.

I don't know what to do at this point. I can't keep her if this doesn't stop and who is going to want a cat that does this?!

Old 09-30-2016, 08:02 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,389,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I'm back. I recently have had my cat tested for all sorts of things, including going to a feline opthamologist, after spending about 1K, I found that there is nothing wrong with her except high blood pressure, which I am now giving her medication for. The peeing and pooping has gotten worse. She has walked by the litter boxes in the garage, which have Cat Attract litter in them to come inside and poop on my living room rug. My front hallway smells like cat pee.

I don't know what to do at this point. I can't keep her if this doesn't stop and who is going to want a cat that does this?!
A farmer for a barn cat.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:18 PM

I used to rent a house on a farm. People would regularly dump cats there. I don't think most farmers need extra cats. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or