U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:11 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,196,444 times

Advertisements

I am beside myself here and don't know what to do. I have two litter boxes in a back bedroom. One a high sided open box and one top entry lidded box. For some reason, neither cat uses the top entry box anymore and my older cat, about 3 years old is pooping out of the box more frequently. I don't know what to do. I am going to move the boxes to my garage once I have a cat door put in, as I have no good discreet place to put the box in the house and I am tired of the smell wafting through my home.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to get her to use the box?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 12:08 AM

6,704 posts, read 4,173,580 times
Have you tried removing the lid or propping it open? Maybe it freaks them out when it slams shut or whatever it does. Or maybe just replace the whole box with another high-side, like a Sterilite tub from Walmart. The fact that it's just one box that both of them suddenly decided not to use anymore suggests it's something about that box, rather than any of the other reasons cats arbitrarily decide to go outside the box - like a urinary infection, or whatever.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:54 AM

5,876 posts, read 11,764,630 times
!) Take the cat to the vet. A cat avoiding the litter box is telling you there is a problem. Usually health related. Constipation is of course the first thing that comes to mind. What do you feed them?

If they are on a dry diet that's the first thing you need to change. Get rid of the dry food, and feed them an all wet (canned or balanced raw) diet.

2) If they are avoiding the lidded box it is because they don't like it. Take off the lid.

3) If there is odor "wafting through the house" the litter boxes are not being kept clean enough. Clean litter boxes do not smell. And cats do not like dirty litter boxes. Scoop pee and poop out of boxes at least twice a day.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:06 AM

4,294 posts, read 2,884,418 times
It is more look like health issue. Once my cat did that and I took her to vet she had worm issue with very dry poo. So I think you better check it up before it become it worst.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:27 AM

4,860 posts, read 3,720,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I am tired of the smell wafting through my home.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to get her to use the box?
If smell is wafting through your home, you are not cleaning your litter boxes frequently enough. Scoop AT LEAST daily.

If the boxes are both high sided, are both of your cats ABLE to get in?

If you are feeding dry, transition to wet.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:49 PM

One more question: Are they "declawed"(toe amputation)? The reason I ask is because litter box avoidance is so common in cats who have had their first digit of their toes amputated. It's caused by pain.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:43 PM

4,682 posts, read 4,591,761 times
I have a cat that has done this since we got him 8 years ago. He's very picky about a clean box. We scoop the boxes each night, but at some point the entire liter needs to be changed out and the boxes need a rinse... we know it's about time when he starts pooping on the floor more frequently.. to the point where it's every night and it doesn't matter how well we scooped or added baking soda. He'll sometimes do it even if the box is very clean, but the other cat pooped in the other box. If it stinks around the box he simply won't use it.

Fortunately, this is only the case with poop and not pee.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:31 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,462,552 times
My rule, inherited, is "One more litter box than cats, at minimum." We have four cats and six litter boxes. Ms. Steam Leak didn't protest the kittens via littergrams.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:21 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,196,444 times
It is only one of the cats who is pooping outside the box. I clean the box once a day. I think part of the problem is that the cat that is not using the box had stopped covering her poop when she uses the box. I don't know what that is all about. The lidded box has an opening on the top, it is a clever cat box.

Both cats get dry food. Why would wet make a difference? I've been told in the past that dry is better for them.

I'll see if I can get her into the vets this weekend.

Thanks for the ideas.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:59 AM

Dry food is dehydrating and creates health problems like constipation. A constipated cat will blame the box for her discomfort and poop outside it hoping it will be easier, less uncomfortable to do it there.

When pooping causes discomfort they are less likely to cover it. They just want to get out of that box and away from the pain.

Long term, dry food leads to obesity, diabetes, urinary tract disease and kidney disease.

From a daily standpoint cats on a dry only diet are chronically dehydrated.

Cats are strict obligate carnivores, dry is not better for them in any way at all.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health is a good place to start to understand why cats need a wet diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or