Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 02:38 PM

914 posts, read 732,511 times

Advertisements

Yeah it's definitely a sign of affection

I read somewhere that cats are doing it to mark you with their scent and pheromones - to mark you as their property and part of their cat family. Translation: "I love you. I own you, you are mine "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 02:46 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,244,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post

I read somewhere that cats are doing it to mark you with their scent and pheromones - to mark you as their property and part of their cat family. Translation: "I love you. I own you, you are mine "
Yeah, lest their silly humans forget who owns who. Part of a cats job is to keep reminding us of who and what is the most important. All of the cats I've lived with were very good at it.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:01 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,380,398 times
Quote:

Eventually a study will come out revealing that humans also share pheromones when they hug.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:19 AM

41,713 posts, read 74,654,678 times
Kitty head butts are the best! A day without a head butt is like a day without sunshine. Fortunately, I get lots of them.

My cats are especially affectionate when they're hungry.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:49 PM

3,950 posts, read 4,188,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Lucky you! You get expressions of love. Now get that can opener out - pronto
LOL! Yes, that cat is training the OP! The trainee is currently confused, but cat is confident the OP will "get it" soon. LOL

Old 06-16-2016, 12:52 PM

3,950 posts, read 4,188,738 times
I have a girl who is a serious head-butter. Can practically knock me over. Loves to butt my hand while I am putting the water dish down. You know how that usually ends! I can usually intercept her and pet her with my other hand, but sometimes I forget and then -- BUTT and OOPS! Can't be mad at her, though.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:11 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,732,273 times
Quote:

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

So sweet.....

Also, another sign of love is when they expose their belly to you. This would make them very vulnerable in the wild, so it means they feel very safe with you.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:24 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,244,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

So sweet.....

Also, another sign of love is when they expose their belly to you. This would make them very vulnerable in the wild, so it means they feel very safe with you.
Love and trust. But we cat people must remain aware that with some cats belly exposing is done for an entirely different reason. That being the very fun game of 'Gotcha'. I happen to have one ladycat that loves that game, which I refer to as Tummy Minefield. The object is to see how many times I can pet Sheba's belly before I have to put on a Band-Aid. So far my personal best is two.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:17 PM

23,897 posts, read 10,269,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
LOL! Yes, that cat is training the OP! The trainee is currently confused, but cat is confident the OP will "get it" soon. LOL
Cats are patient. He will get it - sooner or later.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:15 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,693,310 times
Only one of our 3 is into head butting, that is Chewy. Every night, when I walk in the door, he is sitting on the kitchen counter by the door and won't let me in until we exchange a few head butts. Lucky comes close, as if he is going to do it, but he doesn't like his head touched too much. Daisy is a rubber.....she walks past me and rubs herself on my legs. Sometimes 10 or more trips past, doing it.

My Son taught Chewy to head butt when he was a kitten and he has never stopped doing it.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats