U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 06:48 PM

87 posts, read 38,244 times

Advertisements

Cleaning the litter box is my least favorite chore. But I want to share what I do to make cleaning the litter box a breeze . Clump litter does make it easy to clean up after your cat but you still have to clean the inside of the pan when its time to dump and refresh the litter box . Who has time for that ? The key to my "hack" is GARBAGE BAGS . You want to start with a clean litter pan . Take a garbage bag ( Scented , Hefty , drawstring ...it doesnt matter ) fold it in half and cut it . This will allow you to get more use out of one garbage bag . But it is not necessary . Whether you cut the bag or not , make a knot at the bottom of the bag . This will prevent excess bag in the bottom of the pan . Fit the garbage bag around all sides of the litter box. The tighter the better . If its loose and you dont have a drawstring bag , twist the excess bag around the rim until its tight and long enough to tie in a knot. That will prevent your cat from pulling it down when using the bathroom . However, make sure there is "slack". Meaning make sure the bag can rest on the bottom of the pan . If not , that mean your knot on the bottom of the bag may be too high or you pulled too much of the bag up while trying to tighten it around the rim . This has made dumping and keeping the litter pan clean so much easier for me . And I hope it does for you guys too . Sorry about the length . But I wanted to make sure you guys understood . ***NOTE*** Your cat may or will scratch at the rim of the pan like Midnight does and they may put a few holes in it when trying to cover their potty ( so put plenty of litter to cover the bottom of the pan ) but trust me ... You will love how easy this makes the litterbox chore .

Last edited by Jacksona062010; 06-11-2016 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 08:40 AM

983 posts, read 535,929 times
Family Dollar carries new litter boxes for $5 so I just trash them when overly soiled.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Family Dollar carries new litter boxes for $5 so I just trash them when overly soiled.

When I had my first cat I would clean it out everytime I dumped it . Now that I have Midnight , I decided to do that . Its a lot more tolerable . Lol .

Old 06-12-2016, 02:26 PM

12,945 posts, read 23,936,287 times
I don't know what kind of litter you use, but my litter box doesn't smell. I don't use plastic bags in the pan, because I scoop it out all the time, and that goes into a small plastic trash can lined with a plastic grocery bag. That in turn, goes into the trash bin every two days.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I don't know what kind of litter you use, but my litter box doesn't smell. I don't use plastic bags in the pan, because I scoop it out all the time, and that goes into a small plastic trash can lined with a plastic grocery bag. That in turn, goes into the trash bin every two days.

I use Scoop Away cat litter . My post was to make reference to refreshing the entire litter pan after you have cleaned the litter a few times. I use trash bags to keep the pan cleaner and I can throw all the old litter out at once and not have to dump it , clean the pan and then put fresh litter . This allows me to dump it and proceed to put new litter in the pan . The process is a lot faster and easier .

Old 06-12-2016, 07:48 PM

12,945 posts, read 23,936,287 times
I use Scoop Away, Cat's Pride and Tidy Cat. I have never used a plastic bag in the litter box, and have never had too. I've never found it necessary, and I've never had box that smells. And I rarely change the litter, because as it gets scooped, it also gets cleaned out. If it was deemed necessary, I would change it more often, but I've never had to do it.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:49 AM

4,848 posts, read 3,695,375 times
I had a cat years ago, and I used the plastic litter box liners. The problem was when he'd paw down to the bottom and get plastic and know that he was supposed to pee in the box (on the plastic), and then sometimes later, he'd find a plastic bag elsewhere (I had children and a husband at home who were not the best at picking things up and putting things away), and he'd think it would be acceptable and OK to pee on a plastic bag.

So beware....

Now, I just scoop daily for my 2 girls. There is no smell.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:07 AM

573 posts, read 268,710 times
Good idea for a lot of cats. I have a friend who's cat does not claw at the plastic liners, so it works well for her. Mine dig down to the bottom of the pan (even through a 40-lb bag of litter) and will claw at the plastic till its in shreds, so it doesn't work well for us. But I scoop every day and dump once a month. No smell.

What I find really works the best is to replace the litter box itself every year. The surface of the plastic gets scratched away over time (from kitties and litter friction), making a great hiding place for bacteria (more smell) and makes the pee clumps that touch any surface of the pan, stick hard. It's like Teflon scratched out of an old pan. Stuff sticks. New box every 1-2 years (depending on how many are using it) solves all that.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Good idea for a lot of cats. I have a friend who's cat does not claw at the plastic liners, so it works well for her. Mine dig down to the bottom of the pan (even through a 40-lb bag of litter) and will claw at the plastic till its in shreds, so it doesn't work well for us. But I scoop every day and dump once a month. No smell.

What I find really works the best is to replace the litter box itself every year. The surface of the plastic gets scratched away over time (from kitties and litter friction), making a great hiding place for bacteria (more smell) and makes the pee clumps that touch any surface of the pan, stick hard. It's like Teflon scratched out of an old pan. Stuff sticks. New box every 1-2 years (depending on how many are using it) solves all that.

Thank you! Thats the other reason I started doing that is because some clumps would be hard to remove. Thats a pain when trying to clean the litter pan out . The litter doesnt stink when they use the bathroom but I still dump the whole pan so that he can have fresh litter . Midnight is an only child . So I can go longer before having to change the whole pan . When I first started this he would SHRED the bag around the rim of the pan. And the bottom. But now he do dont do it . To kill bacteria and stuff I would clean the pan out with Vinegar . I hope this helps ��. I plan on buying him a new litter pan because I want something for him that is wider or longer but still high like the one I have now.

Last edited by Jacksona062010; 06-13-2016 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or